From the Mists of Time - Part 8 | Syracusefan.com

From the Mists of Time - Part 8

SWC75

Bored Historian
Plus Another One

One of the great teams in the history of High School basketball was the Mount Vernon, NY team of 1970-71, which had Gus Williams, (an NBA star), Ray Williams, (an NBA starter), Robbie Young, (started for Manhattan), Earl Tatum, (Marquette star), and Rudy Hackett who became the latest “plus one” for Roy’s Runts. Rudy was a tall, long-armed 6-8 with wiry strength. He could hit short jumpers and hooks and pound the boards inside. (Not unlike Rakeem Christmas.) He was on SU’s last freshman team with Jimmy Lee, Mike’s younger brother. Coached by Jim Boeheim, they went 17-1. Rudy averaged 18 points and 13 rebounds. Jimmy scored 19 a game. For 1972-73 they moved up to the varsity to join Mike Lee, Dennis Duval, Mark Wadach and Bob Dooms. Together they made for SU’s best team between the Bing and Louis-Bouie years, (yes, better than the ’75 final four team).

In the third game, SU traveled to Tennessee, which was a noted power at the time. I remember Coach Ray Mears being interviewed as to what he thought of Syracuse he said “Hell, everybody wanted that Hackett kid!” He was not able to name any of our other players. Rudy helped put us on the map. We lost that one, 83-87 but I’m sure Mears knew who our players were after that. But in those days, the standards against which SU measured itself were Louisville, and Maryland, two national powers whose paths seemed to cross ours several times. The Terps were waiting in the Maryland Invitational and they got us a second time in the title game, 76-91. Later losses to Temple and (Ugh!) Penn State brought SU’s record to a still respectable 13-4.

Then the Orange put it into overdrive, winning 10 straight, including wins over traditional eastern rivals LaSalle, Fordham, St. John’s, West Virginia, Niagara and Rutgers. This was good enough to get SU into the NCAAs for the third time in its history and a first round win over a tall Furman team gave us a sparkling 23-4 record. Then SU looked up and saw Lefty Driesell staring them in the face again. This time, it was 75-91. The Terps lost to Providence, which was the Northeast’s best program during this era, (and did not deign to play lowly Syracuse), in the regional finals. The Northeast’s best two chances to win a national title between the Tom Gola and Patrick Ewing eras were St. Bonaventure in 1971 and Providence in 1973 but in both cases their big men, Bob Lanier and Marvin Barnes, respectively, went down to injury at exactly the wrong time and they came up short in the Final Four.

Perhaps the most memorable aspect of the 1972-73 season for Syracuse was the way it ended. They still had regional and national consolation games in those days and SU faced off against Pennsylvania in the Eastern consy. The Quakers had been a national power in that era under coaches Dick Harter and Chuck Daly, going 78-6 the previous three years. They’d been 28-0 in 1971 when they lost to Villanova in the Eastern Regional Finals. This year they were 21-6 going into this game to SU’s 23-5 and it was close throughout. The Orange was down, 65-68 with a few seconds left when they stole two consecutive inbound passes and scored after each to pull out an incredible 69-68 victory over the shocked Quakers. Syracuse would not end a season with a victory again for 30 years.

The next year, Mike Lee and Mark Wadach graduated. To help replace them, SU did something rare. They took a transfer from Southwestern Louisiana, (doesn’t that sound better than “Louisiana-Lafayette”?), which had risen from the small college ranks led by the nation’s leading scorer in Dwight “Bo” Lamar, only to fall victim to NCAA probation. Lamar escaped to the NBA. Two of his teammates came to upstate New York. One was Larry Fogle, who would lead the nation in scoring in 1973-74. Unfortunately, he would do it for Canisius. We got Fred Saunders a 6-7 forward who could score and rebound, (9.8 of each- round it off and he averaged a double-double) and made a good partner for Rudy Hackett, (17 and 12) on the other side of Bob Dooms, (5 and 5). Sweet “D” DuVal had an All-American year with 21 per game in the backcourt and Jimmy Lee popped his jumpers for 14 from the other position in another great backcourt.

This team was potentially better than the previous year’s team, (it was certainly bigger, with Saunders replacing Mike Lee and Mark Wadach), but the whole was somehow less than the sum its parts. The season started out with the usual 6 game winning streak and once more ended in a holiday tournament. SU won no tournaments of any kind between the 1964 Hurricane Classic, (when they won the summit between Dave Bing, Rick Barry and Bill Bradley), and something called the “ECAC Playoffs” in 1975 on the way to the final four.

(I decided to make a list of the tournaments we failed to win over that period and found that this statement wasn’t quite true: We won something called the “Connecticut Classic” on 12/22-23/72, but that’s one of the years for which I have a yearbook and the schedule indicates this was not really a tournament. It was a pair of double-headers with SU scheduled to meet Yale and then Connecticut while the Huskies played Harvard on the first night and Yale played Harvard on the second nigh: they just called it a “Classic”. From 1964-74 we lost three times in the Holiday Festival, twice in the Quaker City Classic and the Charlotte Invitational, once each in the Bruin Classic, the Boston Christmas Tournament, the Far West Classic, the Volunteer Classic, the Maryland Invitational and the Kodak Classic, along with three NCAA tournaments and 4 NITs. That’s 0 for 20.We’ve won 45 tournaments since.)

This time, an inexplicable 22 point loss to Miami- of Ohio, not Florida- beat us in the first round. It was the first of three losses in four games. Five straight wins were followed by another three losses in five games. The teams we were losing to were not Maryland or Louisville but Rutgers, UCONN, Penn State, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, the sort of games SU won in a good year. Five more wins and we were able to sneak into the NCAAs through the back door, where we were paired with Oral Roberts, like Southwestern Louisiana a small college that had moved into the major college ranks. An 82-86 overtime loss left us at 19-7, which was a disappointment after 24-5. We were not quite ready for prime time.

This is the era that I became a fan. My brother and I walked the mile from our house to Manley, with it's intimidating raised hardwood floor to sit in the Zoo for $2.00 and go nuts. You'd swear the building shook when the whole place screamed "DOOOOOOOOOOOMS" for 6'5" Center Bob Dooms. I knew kids that lived in the Comstock area that would buy one ticket and send a kid in to " Hit the Doors" so 15 kids would rush in for free. I'd listen faithfully to Mareiness calls of away games and hang on every word and humorous descriptive phrase. I love the Dome, the huge crowds and how far the program has come, but those were special times with the Zoo atmosphere. Great days and Great memories.

You failed to mention Tom Stundis, the Braintree Butcher. He had more of an offensive game than Dooms. I double-dated with him a couple times when I went out with his girlfriend's roommate.

You failed to mention Tom Stundis, the Braintree Butcher. He had more of an offensive game than Dooms. I double-dated with him a couple times when I went out with his girlfriend's roommate.

If I'd known, that, I would have mentioned him. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom