FSU vs The ACC | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Fair enough
But his direct quote was: " I just read that about half a dozen ACC schools joined Florida State in the lawsuit".
That's not speculation, that's a statement of fact. So what's the source?
Even if that's what's "expected" to happen, and I think that depends on the FSU lawsuit getting some mileage, I still wouldn't state it as though it's ALREADY happened...which it hasn't.
There's lots of folks out there who post with an agenda. Every rumor should not be highlighted as fact, that's all I'm saying. JMHO
It's total crap. Total bs

no one wins in this lawsuit. FSU will not find financial freedom but may cause the total destruction of P4 standing into a next-level situation.

They are shooting the moon so to speak. If Jordan Travis wasn’t hurt, they may not have found the excuse to do this.

Fair enough
But his direct quote was: " I just read that about half a dozen ACC schools joined Florida State in the lawsuit".
That's not speculation, that's a statement of fact. So what's the source?
Even if that's what's "expected" to happen, and I think that depends on the FSU lawsuit getting some mileage, I still wouldn't state it as though it's ALREADY happened...which it hasn't.
There's lots of folks out there who post with an agenda. Every rumor should not be highlighted as fact, that's all I'm saying. JMHO

100%. Lots of definitive takes based on Twitter propaganda and message board posts. Everyone take a deep breath.
You can be sure it will happen because all you have to do is follow the $. This isn’t anything that the ACC is inferior to the B12 it’s the FACT that the SEC/B10 double what ACC conference payouts are at the current moment and will only increase as we get deeper into the GoR, assuming it holds. Even the B12 paid out $12m more per school this year and by 2029 they will be paying out $50m per school. All you have to do is follow the money. It’s not personal against the ACC. We obviously have the better brands but for some odd reason we signed a terrible media right deal that lasts through 2036. Our best hope is FSU goes no where because of the GoR and ESPN renegotiates. I said it before but i don’t think people realize how precarious of a position Syracuse is in. I posted earlier that we only have 3 seasons since joining the ACC where we have 4 or more conference wins in a year (4,4,6) and only winning records (By 1 game each) vs Wake and BC. We have to make hay and quick.

There are higher numbers out there (and maybe in this thread ) for the ACC. And the cost isn’t worth the payout even with a gap.
The ACC has incentive based payouts for post season achievements. I think you’re right and ACC payouts were better than anticipated, but the B12 will get to renegotiate 7 years sooner which is the big difference since it’s almost a lock they will negotiate a much better deal until the ACC (Hopefully) has a chance to negotiate in 2036.
Here is an article not from twitter/reddit that mentions the same exact schools being consistently stated as interested in leaving if there is an escape route.

Here is a snap shot with payout estimates that show why schools are so eager to get out of the GoR
IMG_5763.jpeg

B

Physician heal thyself.
I'm not the one who posted a definitive statement based on poorly sourced set of "facts".

Geez, get over yourself. I said I read somewhere that other schools had joined the suit. I didn't say I saw the court papers.

The ACC has incentive based payouts for post season achievements. I think you’re right and ACC payouts were better than anticipated, but the B12 will get to renegotiate 7 years sooner which is the big difference since it’s almost a lock they will negotiate a much better deal until the ACC (Hopefully) has a chance to negotiate in 2036.
Here is an article not from twitter/reddit that mentions the same exact schools being consistently stated as interested in leaving if there is an escape route.

Here is a snap shot with payout estimates that show why schools are so eager to get out of the GoR
View attachment 235764

Why would it be a lock that the B12's next deal is better? Ask the PAC how that worked out. Money is starting to dry up and networks will want to have funds available to grab part of the B1G pie. Also the ACC has a network so there is greater potential to surpass those numbers in that chart. The B12 TV money is set in stone.

FSU can’t honor NIL commitments so people are bailing, yet some they can come up with half a billion to go get pummeled in another league? Not buying it.
You seem to be failing to keep front and center in this every single moment that it is not just BT and SEC wooing, it is those 2 backed by Disney/ESPN nd Fox doing to the wooing. The corporate masters went this major reduction of Major CFB down to no more than two conferences. And they're using their massive wealth and power to force us all into the system they desire.

The Big 12 has been overpaid by Disney because Disney wanted to keep Texas and OU in house until they could be induced to join the SEC. All that money has been for that pair, not the Big 12. Once SC and UCLA both were ready to kill the Pac. Its history has no meaning too them. They wanted it dead, to further the plan. The Big 12 does not have die to further the plan - just lose Texas and OU.

But the Big 12 is never agin approaching such money. Its biggest football brand (that means national drawing power today, not supposedly the days when radio was king of CFB broadcasting) is maybe Arizona St, maybe Oklahoma St, maybe even WVU.

If Disney wants FSU in the SEC as badly as many think, then Disney will pay for that to happen. But Fox is nor ed, and Fox thus knows that BTR football can never equal SEC football unless the BT gets into the South in a BIG way. That starts with with a football program like FSU: large state U with large and frenzied football fan base cheering great history, a campus within 200 miles of far more top recruits than in all the northeast states combined. Fox does not want to pay to get FSU away from Disney, but Fox knows what is required for the BT to equal the SEC in football.

So FSU not having major bucks is not the issue for FSU. And thus not for the ACC.

7 schools wanting out of the ACC is simply not true, and never has been. Exploring matters as a group of 7, which along with Dook are easily the most valuable ACC schools, was first and foremost an attempt to prod Disney to do the right thing by the ACC. Speaking as a group has that power. But Disney also knew that FSU was the weak link, because of standard FSU short sightedness and envy of UF.

They made $44m per school in 2023 and will max out at $50m in 2029. ACC payouts this year around about $31m
That’s with Texas and Oklahoma. ASU, Arizona, Utah and Colorado couldn’t attract $30m/year with Oregon, OSU, Washington, WSU, Cal and Stanford. Not sure how WVU, the State of Kansas, the 2nd biggest schools in Oklahoma, Iowa and Ohio along with a bunch of Texas schools that probably make 20% of the Texas market share are going to do better than they would have with a reconstituted PAC 12.

Why would it be a lock that the B12's next deal is better? Ask the PAC how that worked out. Money is starting to dry up and networks will want to have funds available to grab part of the B1G pie. Also the ACC has a network so there is greater potential to surpass those numbers in that chart. The B12 TV money is set in stone.
The ACC just needs to hold together until the Big 12 deal runs out and gets renegotiated.

I feel like everyone on this thread probably has more knowledge or sense of what is happening than I on this topic. What irks me the most about the situation Cuse is in is the sense of urgency we see now in what appears to be the 11th hour. If we would have incrementally taken care of our business with facilities, fund raising and fan engagement since the mid 90’s I suspect we wouldn’t be in this mess now, and that is a bit disappointing.

Yup. We diked the dog for 40 years after the Dome was built and did less than the bare minimum. Now it’s closing time and we are left looking for a date.

View attachment 235764
However, if I understand it correctly the ACC payout in aggregate increases with the addition of three programs in 2024. And with those three programs taking a greatly reduced payment, doesn’t that increase the per capita revenue for the 14 current schools?

You can be sure it will happen because all you have to do is follow the $. This isn’t anything that the ACC is inferior to the B12 it’s the FACT that the SEC/B10 double what ACC conference payouts are at the current moment and will only increase as we get deeper into the GoR, assuming it holds. Even the B12 paid out $12m more per school this year and by 2029 they will be paying out $50m per school. All you have to do is follow the money. It’s not personal against the ACC. We obviously have the better brands but for some odd reason we signed a terrible media right deal that lasts through 2036. Our best hope is FSU goes no where because of the GoR and ESPN renegotiates. I said it before but i don’t think people realize how precarious of a position Syracuse is in. I posted earlier that we only have 3 seasons since joining the ACC where we have 4 or more conference wins in a year (4,4,6) and only winning records (By 1 game each) vs Wake and BC. We have to make hay and quick.

ESPN low balling the ACC while creating a vast inequity with its other property is weird. If they are hoping to cleave off some teams to add to the SEC it’s a hell of a gamble. Maybe CFB is destroyed for 1/2 the country?! Or we’ll be richer! We’ll see! Fingers crossed.

On the other end you got the same type of turds who are driving FSU off a cliff trying to pull strings at Michigan and Alabama to be even more powerful! We’ll rule everything*

*smokey crater of what was CFB

You seem to be failing to keep front and center in this every single moment that it is not just BT and SEC wooing, it is those 2 backed by Disney/ESPN nd Fox doing to the wooing. The corporate masters went this major reduction of Major CFB down to no more than two conferences. And they're using their massive wealth and power to force us all into the system they desire.

The Big 12 has been overpaid by Disney because Disney wanted to keep Texas and OU in house until they could be induced to join the SEC. All that money has been for that pair, not the Big 12. Once SC and UCLA both were ready to kill the Pac. Its history has no meaning too them. They wanted it dead, to further the plan. The Big 12 does not have die to further the plan - just lose Texas and OU.

But the Big 12 is never agin approaching such money. Its biggest football brand (that means national drawing power today, not supposedly the days when radio was king of CFB broadcasting) is maybe Arizona St, maybe Oklahoma St, maybe even WVU.

If Disney wants FSU in the SEC as badly as many think, then Disney will pay for that to happen. But Fox is nor ed, and Fox thus knows that BTR football can never equal SEC football unless the BT gets into the South in a BIG way. That starts with with a football program like FSU: large state U with large and frenzied football fan base cheering great history, a campus within 200 miles of far more top recruits than in all the northeast states combined. Fox does not want to pay to get FSU away from Disney, but Fox knows what is required for the BT to equal the SEC in football.

So FSU not having major bucks is not the issue for FSU. And thus not for the ACC.
And you pointed out the reason that within 5 years Congress will get involved.
The networks are on borrowed time.
The college's and their tax free money will be no more.
Collusion by the networks will end up getting penalized in a big way.
Congress loves to have a whipping boy, and they will have one in the media companies.

Geez, get over yourself. I said I read somewhere that other schools had joined the suit. I didn't say I saw the court papers.
Sorry if I hit a nerve. Not my intention at all.
Bottom line, before you start posting about nonsense you "read somewhere" without offering any context or source, you might wanna do some research. Comprende?
In fact I just " read somewhere" that the Big 10 and SEC will be joining the NFL next year! Proof? I have none...just figured I'd pass it on!
See how idiotic that sounds? Seriously, it's not that hard. Sheesh.

I think the schools in the ACC should file a counter-suit against FSU for failure to produce enough revenue for the conference for the last 7 or 8 years. When SU joined the conference, our expectation was that FSU would be carrying the conference banner nationally, making the conference lots if money, and not leaving it to Clemson alone to do all the heavy lifting. FSU failed todo their part.

ESPN low balling the ACC while creating a vast inequity with its other property is weird. If they are hoping to cleave off some teams to add to the SEC it’s a hell of a gamble. Maybe CFB is destroyed for 1/2 the country?! Or we’ll be richer! We’ll see! Fingers crossed.
This is ominous. Most of this BS would fall by the wayside if ESPN decided to up the payout a bit.
It's like the free agent who signed a long-term low ball contract as a young player. If he ends up performing well, it'd be prudent to renegotiate just to keep him in the fold, no?
ESPN seems willing to let the ACC and their network, twist in the wind while they play Scrooge. And look-ins or not, at some point that paltry little raise is not enough to make any appreciable difference.
I don't fault FSU for wanting an out- just think they're going about it the wrong way. JMHO

This is ominous. Most of this BS would fall by the wayside if ESPN decided to up the payout a bit.
It's like the free agent who signed a long-term low ball contract as a young player. If he ends up performing well, it'd be prudent to renegotiate just to keep him in the fold, no?
ESPN seems willing to let the ACC and their network, twist in the wind while they play Scrooge. And look-ins or not, at some point that paltry little raise is not enough to make any appreciable difference.
I don't fault FSU for wanting an out- just think they're going about it the wrong way. JMHO
With respect to FSU, maybe instead of trashing the conference every opportunity they, they could have spent the last 10 years screaming to the media that the conference is better than it gets credit for. Point out the fact that the ACC has three current programs who have won championships this century when the B1G has 1 program. Or point out the fact that Bill Clinton was still president the last time a B1G school won a basketball title.

Instead FSU has done everything it can to undermine the ACC, helping to create a doom loop.

I think FSU is terrified if they regress as a football team moving forward. They had regression recently, but that was in a much more financially competitive ACC. I don’t think other programs in the SEC will lose sleep if there is one less big program competing in the area. I think the Big Ten also loses interest with a regressed Florida State program and may want to take a chance on other schools in Florida in larger media markets.

With respect to FSU, maybe instead of trashing the conference every opportunity they, they could have spent the last 10 years screaming to the media that the conference is better than it gets credit for. Point out the fact that the ACC has three current programs who have won championships this century when the B1G has 1 program. Or point out the fact that Bill Clinton was still president the last time a B1G school won a basketball title.

Instead FSU has done everything it can to undermine the ACC, helping to create a doom loop.
Exactly right. You don’t build your conference brand up by tearing down at every turn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom