FSU vs The ACC | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Assuming that FSU, Clemson (and possibly UNC & UVA) choose to leave, it may not happen until 2032-2034. ESPN may up their payout offer before then (if possible) and keep most schools in the ACC.

If those schools do make it clear before then that they are on their way out, then the B12 GOR expiration could prove to be a time to bring in WVU, Cincy and possibly UCF. If that were to happen then the remaining ACC will still be OK. Adding Yukon could also be an option, if needed. An old BE + remaining ACC blend should be fine for SU.

Time for some FRANkenstein magic. :)

Of course they'll be leaving.

But 2 questions remain--

1.) When?
2.) How much will it cost?

The answer to the first will in large part determine the answer to the second.
I think 1 will be quicker than people realize. Thamel alluded to it. ESPN will be part of this exit because they hold the keys to this.

Everyone thinks this is the ok corral. FSU has left already. Question of the divorce cost now. I fail to see UNC and UVA and Miami And Clemson and Tech taking them to the wall when they’ll turn around and leave too.

That’s 6 of the schools. The remaining schools will get a nice financial kiss. This won’t be in the billions

If I’m wrong I’ll be the first to admit it.

I think 1 will be quicker than people realize. Thamel alluded to it. ESPN will be part of this exit because they hold the keys to this.

Everyone thinks this is the ok corral. FSU has left already. Question of the divorce cost now. I fail to see UNC and UVA and Miami And Clemson and Tech taking them to the wall when they’ll turn around and leave too.

That’s 6 of the schools. The remaining schools will get a nice financial kiss. This won’t be in the billions

There is no reason for anyone to leave now FSU included.

Where are all the schools you mentioned going? The SEC doesn’t want them. The B1G might but not until next TV contact.!

Go, what do you think is going to happen here. Everyone is a tough guy litigator until everyone realizes it’s not going to get everyone everything they want.

I guarantee there is a deal struck btw the ACC and FSU (and who ever else is leaving). Conferences are made up of teams and 5 teams want out. 1 is just being vocal
It’s in no ones interest other than FSU to accelerate their time table and/or give them discount on the cost of leaving.

And it’s not tough guy litigator, it’s negotiator. There is no win/win scenario here.

The conference needs to hold their ground and make it as painful as possible and string this out as long as possible.

What does FSU owe SU or the ACC, nothing that's what. FSU did not have any expectation that ESPN was going to tilt the payout to the SEC to such a degree that it will make them uncompetitive over time. ESPN and FOX are the ones causing the problem and ruining college football.

They ain’t cutting a deal. FSU knows the cost. So does the rest of the conference. ACC has no reason to negotiate and the rest of the schools won’t either. I know SU ain’t approving a reduced fee.

I have no doubt many of the players in college football will screw up a good thing - there are many ways they could have gotten together and shared the wealth. The growing divide will cause issues and fans will ultimately suffer. But FSU doesn’t have much to go on here besides screaming and yelling. This is their Hail Mary pass.
I truly believe they are doing this to appease their BS crazy boosters.

I, on the other hand will be rooting for FSU to beat UGA and beat them handily and mercilessly.

Why you ask?

Because, if you think that Seminole World is mad now, just wait until they beat Georgia 45-10.

Then, they will be so incensed (and the angrier and more miserable they all are, the happier I will be) at the fact they were left out of the playoff that they may not just try to secede from the ACC, Seminole nation may try to secede from the union - perhaps even from the planet...

And I will laugh and laugh and laugh...
I was wrong.

Watching FSU get beat by 60 was thoroughly enjoyable.

What does FSU owe SU or the ACC, nothing that's what. FSU did not have any expectation that ESPN was going to tilt the payout to the SEC to such a degree that it will make them uncompetitive over time. ESPN and FOX are the ones causing the problem and ruining college football.
FSU owes the ACC and ESPN their TV rights, per the deal they helped negotiate and then signed. If they were forced to sign it at gun point I think you would be making sense right now.

The problem isn’t ESPN and FOX it’s CFB not having anyone actually looking out for the collective best interests of the sport. They are making deals based on their own interests as businesses must.

The problem isn’t ESPN and FOX it’s CFB not having anyone actually looking out for the collective best interests of the sport. They are making deals based on their own interests as businesses must.

This is a great point and the reason why the NFL is successful. The NCAA is weak; it’s like comparing the Articles of Confederation to The Constitution. The NCAA is like the AOC at this point, I’ve seen more complaints from fans and now even coaches/players about this bowl season so far than I ever have. ESPN yesterday had two articles on their main page about how CFB needs chance; one from a coach and the other a player.

I want FSU and Clemson to leave. That opens up the top spots which will be filled, hopefully one of them by Syracuse.
If both leave yes someone will replace them. However will the two newly minted ACC Football Kings bring as many eyeballs? I suspect they don't.

BL: the way this realignment/pay for play is going is brutal. It isn't good for the game. It makes no sense for these Franken- Conferences to exist. Football isn't as affected but a few sports will make a mockery of academics especially for Stanford and California with midweek travel.

The unintended consequences will be both delicious and heartbreaking for these schools and athletes.

I respect your position, though I disagree somewhat.

As to point one, FSU cannot afford the withdrawal fee. The same fee that FSU demanded and actively imposed on the ACC. This fee is not likely to be reduced in court nor does any ACC school have an interest in helping FSU.

As to point 2, While Clemson may want out, they have no resources, thus they are not paying the withdrawal fee nor buying back their TV rights. They are better off stockpiling cash for their future buyout than accepting debt. If they get cash from FSU, it makes stockpiling cash that much quicker.

UVA and UNC can write a check but neither will leave without a guaranteed landing spot. No conference can arrange a landing spot until the current deal is done OR they exit the ACC AND buy back their TV rights, which FSU has claimed are nearly $600MM. Both have plainly decided they will not be writing that check anytime soon.

Miami and VATech are not in any financial position to write the check and neither has the resources to fight a legal battle, nor the stomach to do so. See Clemson above regarding stockpiling cash.

ESPN is in an obligation to the ACC and effectively each school as they demanded the GOR. Thus, any activity they do behind the scenes must be above board and may not undercut the ACC. Otherwise, ESPN would be on the hook for tortious interference and fraud. Besides, why would ESPN pay FSU more money when they have FSU locked in at a lower fee? No one can explain that point with actual numbers to prove FSU moves the needle.

As the GOR duration is lessened and schools have more resources, this action becomes more viable. That period is likely in the early to mid 2030's.

This is just my opinion but you deserve a respectful response. We may disagree on this point but I enjoy your posts, you are a good Orange fan. If nothing else, you make us think of other perspectives.

FSU is a symptom of a much bigger issue. There's a need for content, content providers pay significantly for it, and content creators, schools and athletes, have FOMO and don't want to be left out.

The NFL seems to have the best sports model for parity, I don't see a way that works in college with the wide range of interests.

Maybe the system needs to collapse to be fixed, who knows if or when that happens.

FSU owes the ACC and ESPN their TV rights, per the deal they helped negotiate and then signed. If they were forced to sign it at gun point I think you would be making sense right now.
There was no expectation that these numbers were going to become so skewed. The ACC was within 10-20% of the B1G/SEC but now it's looking like 50%. That was not fore seen and not a likely outcome. FSU, Clemson were okay with the small discrepancy but can't abide with what's coming. I don't find their position to be unreasonable. I don't think if it goes to a court, they would think so either.

Should be interesting to see what ESPN allows the commentators to mention in regard to the lawsuits.
I watched ACC PM just to see if they would say anything on Friday. They did not. It will be interesting if that continues.

If both leave yes someone will replace them. However will the two newly minted ACC Football Kings bring as many eyeballs? I suspect they don't.

BL: the way this realignment/pay for play is going is brutal. It isn't good for the game. It makes no sense for these Franken- Conferences to exist. Football isn't as affected but a few sports will make a mockery of academics especially for Stanford and California with midweek travel.

The unintended consequences will be both delicious and heartbreaking for these schools and athletes.
Two 32 team super conferences, one in the ne, mid west, San Fran going north on the west coast, the other in the south starting in Virginia.

obviously can’t be rigid if the numbers don’t line up, might have to adjust the border.

4 x 8 Geographic based divisions, 7 division games, 1 each in the other three, 2 vs the other conference (randomly selected home/away games)

post season is 4 x 16 flights. Top 16 national championship.

Gives you logistic scheduling sanity, creates rivalries with real stakes. Everyone has a 13-16 game season with real competitive balance to post season games.

It’s in no ones interest other than FSU to accelerate their time table and/or give them discount on the cost of leaving.

And it’s not tough guy litigator, it’s negotiator. There is no win/win scenario here.

The conference needs to hold their ground and make it as painful as possible and string this out as long as possible.
The contracts that the SEC, and Big signed are way overpriced in the future landscape of TV. Cut backs in Cable and Streaming becoming the new way to receive content will cause the next round of contracts to be lower.

Now FSU not making the final 4 is starting to make sense. I'll bet dollar to donut that it was for them to leave the ACC and this may be their "loophole". Sorry but my mistrust for anything Big 10 just makes think things like this.
Saw how bad FSU looked yesterday, good luck in the SEC. If it is inevitable that FSU then Clemson and UNC want to leave IMO the ACC would be better of dealing with them as it would mean at or above 1 billion in revenues for ACC teams that could be used to bolster our programs and revenues. All the rest of the ACC teams need to make improvements and as bad as it sounds there are 2 west coast teams still left out there that bring in a total west coast recruiting area to the ACC. I believe it is also inevitable that ND has to make a move, even if the get a special arrangement of some kind.

There was no expectation that these numbers were going to become so skewed. The ACC was within 10-20% of the B1G/SEC but now it's looking like 50%. That was not fore seen and not a likely outcome. FSU, Clemson were okay with the small discrepancy but can't abide with what's coming. I don't find their position to be unreasonable. I don't think if it goes to a court, they would think so either.
Eh, no. They signed the deal. Unless there was a line in there about being competitive financially with other conferences (there’s not), they live with the ramifications.

Two 32 team super conferences, one in the ne, mid west, San Fran going north on the west coast, the other in the south starting in Virginia.

obviously can’t be rigid if the numbers don’t line up, might have to adjust the border.

4 x 8 Geographic based divisions, 7 division games, 1 each in the other three, 2 vs the other conference (randomly selected home/away games)

post season is 4 x 16 flights. Top 16 national championship.

Gives you logistic scheduling sanity, creates rivalries with real stakes. Everyone has a 13-16 game season with real competitive balance to post season games.
Bc, SU, psu, Rutgers, umd, Pitt, wvu, Louisville

OSU, cinci, , Iowa, Iowa st, nd, Purdue, Illinois, northwestern

Umich, Wisconsin, Minnesota,, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas state , Missouri, indy

Washington, Wash st, Oregon, Oregon st, cal, Stanford, Colorado, Utah

UVA, vt, unc, wake, duke, ncst, Clemson, usc,

Uga, gt, fsu, uf, Miami, Kentucky, Tennessee, vandy

Bama, auburn, lsu, Mississippi, Mississippi st,, Arkansas , tcu, Houston

USC, ucla, Arizona, Arizona state, Texas, a&m, okie, okie state

As for UNC that has a questionable football program at best, leaving Duke behind in BB is stupid, as that is clearly one of the biggest conf rivalries in all of BB.

I think leaving the ACC is a short-sighted mistake for FSU. If Jordan Travis doesn't get injured, they're 100% in. It didn't have anything to do with their conference. Their path to a playoff bid becomes much more challenging when they have to navigate an SEC schedule.
As much as I felt bad for FSU being left out, the committee unfortunately did the right thing. Never mind the guys who didn’t play yesterday against UGA, they would have been demolished with no QB. Just like us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom