Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

The DO story has been edited to now say there is no timetable for installation of AC.

Kent, you need to decide one way or the other. Is Syracuse a football school or not. There is no half way. In or out.

200_s.gif

Kent, you need to decide one way or the other. Is Syracuse a football school or not. There is no half way. In or out.

Meh. He can believe we're a football school, be all in and still face major hurdles in getting a project like this done. It's frustrating for sure. But I'm not sure we can divine any kind of real intent about football or any other sport based on inaction about the dome.

Meh. He can believe we're a football school, be all in and still face major hurdles in getting a project like this done. It's frustrating for sure. But I'm not sure we can divine any kind of real intent about football or any other sport based on inaction about the dome.
Yes. I believe we did decide that when we hired Babers and then have seemingly given him a bigger budget than we have ever done before. The dome issue is bigger than the Chancellor. It requires significant capital that unless he is going to pony up personally or with University money, (which by the way would be a BOT decision) is out of his hands a bit. The fact that the dome reno was in the campus framework plans, means to me that Kent has bought in.

Kent is going to face a number of hurdles in the Dome renovation project. The academics on the Hill aren't too fond of SU Athletics.

Kent is going to face a number of hurdles in the Dome renovation project. The academics on the Hill aren't too fond of SU Athletics.

Well, they need to wake up. People aren't lining up to pay $50K a year to go to SU for many of their academic programs. They have a few elite schools and a lot of sub-par ones. Their incoming test scores are not that competitive with other institutions who charge as high tuition. Athletics provides a school with branding, it provides a source of alumni pride, and for many schools, a source of donations.

I still don't think the university should be in the business of running a sports and entertainment complex. They're spending way too much time, money, and effort spinning their wheels trying to pull off some massive renovation without impacting anything. Good luck. The ideal situation would be a public/private partnership with the city and county in conjunction with the 81 replacement. But hey, that requires everyone giving up a little something and working together (and building a new arena slightly off-campus).

Keep the arena on campus. When it comes to the off campus side, it usually comes down to your convenience.

You can avoid disrupting the seasons of football, basketball and lacrosse by building the Dome in phases like Madison Square Garden in its recent renovation. You start each phase the week following graduation which is on Mother's Day until the first week of classes for however many years is necessary.

Keep the arena on campus. When it comes to the off campus side, it usually comes down to your convenience.

You can avoid disrupting the seasons of football, basketball and lacrosse by building the Dome in phases like Madison Square Garden in its recent renovation. You start each phase the week following graduation which is on Mother's Day until the first week of classes for however many years is necessary.

To be fair -- you *could* do it after basketball ends and have lacrosse play up at OCC or elsewhere. Gives you more time

To be fair -- you *could* do it after basketball ends and have lacrosse play up at OCC or elsewhere. Gives you more time

Murphy Field at OCC only seats 2000.

As someone who goes to every home lacrosse game ... I'm fine with that. Obviously it'd be ideal to play somewhere that seats 5,000+ but I'm cool with getting 2-3 more months of renno time if it means moving lacrosse around.

As someone who goes to every home lacrosse game ... I'm fine with that. Obviously it'd be ideal to play somewhere that seats 5,000+ but I'm cool with getting 2-3 more months of renno time if it means moving lacrosse around.

As long as you're one of the lucky 2000 who show up early enough to get a seat.

The SU soccer stadium holds 1500 already and there has been talk of expanding it...soccer is growing increasingly popular and there have been a number of sellouts recently as the men's soccer program has developed into a national power.

I would spend a little money here, upgrade the seating capacity and food services and help men's and women's soccer and lacrosse. There shouldn't be competition for dates because soccer is played in the fall and lacrosse in the spring (other than a couple exhibition games which tend to be played in the IPF anyway).

Don't think moving it to OCC and fighting their teams and the HS teams that use it for dates makes much sense.

Where do you hold graduation? Can't have anyone in the Dome if there's major work going on during the LAX season.

Where do you hold graduation? Can't have anyone in the Dome if there's major work going on during the LAX season.

Do it outside. Lots of CNY colleges do it, including Le Moyne, Cornell and others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom