Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

I agree there are several management/business degrees that are soft. There are several that are hard, i.e accounting. The more in demand a skill set is, the more exclusive a skill set is, the harder to find the person for the job. Retail management is an example where the degree would be soft. NOTE: That is not to say that the higher level retail management positions are not lucrative.

As to economics, your qualifying statement bears out my point. Cream will rise to the top and the top are paid better than those below them. However, most economists are not paid as well.

This is not to say that softer studies (arts, humanities, social degrees, etc.) are not important nor as valuable, simply that the emphasis should be training people for careers in demand, the other topics can round out an education or become personal pursuits.

Gotcha, thanks

I was a communications major. My brother and dad are both accountants and have the business mind in the family and I'm more creative. But I did get a general business minor and even I got a high B in management. By far, my easiest business course of the 5 I took for a minor.

When I stated management, I was referring to the college that encompasses the various degrees not the specific degree of management. The school of management at some places is referred to as the school of business. I fully agree with the easy management course. A basic course generally is an easy grade. My token psych class was so easy that rarely did anyone NOT get an A or B.

Further, there are several creative people that have excellent business minds. Steven Spielberg is an excellent example of a creative mind with a head for business. Often, creative people learn the business side via their family/friends or by necessity. Engineers study hard sciences and little in business (in the general engineering courses) and yet they, too, must learn management principals (logistics, finance, etc.).

The skills learned in college should be learned to make a person marketable. Being marketable is great way to ensure that students can achieve a good ROI for the tuition (whether paid by parents, loans, etc.) and possibly return something extra to the school and society.

Being creative or analytical or any other classification is not mutually exclusive. Most people are far more diverse than their degree, occupation, technical skill or trade. I mean, look at all of us on this site, we all love Syracuse sports and hate Georgetown. Loving Syracuse U. shows we have good taste, solid analytical skills (I am only half joking, seriously, read our sports discussions and compare with most other fan sites - we really do more analysis and debate than the knee-jerk reaction of other fan bases), strong economic principals (even though we don't agree on every point, the debates on here tend towards intellect rather than blind followers adhering to a philosophy), we are diverse and multifaceted. Georgetown, well, the word says enough. Abigail Adams may have said it best when she stated "It is the very dirtiest Hole I ever saw for a place of any trade, or respectability of inhabitants".* That and their basketball sucks.

*Impressions of Washington: Abigail Adams, 1800

Syracuse Athletics to unveil new student ticket model

Last summer, Syracuse upgraded Carrier Dome Wi-Fi speeds, video boards and scoreboards and ran its “No Huddle Tour” in Rochester, Buffalo and Binghamton, New York, for the first time since 2010, emphasizing “New York’s College Team.” Fans met players and coaches at the events. This summer, Syracuse plans to add an air conditioning system to the Dome.

Last edited:

Last summer, Syracuse upgraded Carrier Dome Wi-Fi speeds, video boards and scoreboards and ran its “No Huddle Tour” in Rochester, Buffalo and Binghamton, New York, for the first time since 2010, emphasizing “New York’s College Team.” Fans met players and coaches at the events. This summer, Syracuse plans to add an air conditioning system to the Dome.

Thoughts on the new student ticket model? Step in the right direction to get more students to the games? I honestly don't have an opinion at this point so wondering what others think.

Really? A/C? I guess that merits a single sentence in the article if you are 22. I would have thought this would be bigger news (if it is true).

Really? A/C? I guess that merits a single sentence in the article if you are 22. I would have thought this would be bigger news (if it is true).
I wonder if the AC is part of a "naming rights" package? Maybe Carrier/United Tech will supply the systems and installation free as part of that package?

New Roof would seem to be a higher priority but what do I know.
SU said earlier that AC might be done before the new roof. No need to wait for bigger project to be finished.

For any engineering types - does proceeding with AC have implications for a diminished renovation project - would doing AC now mean for instance no hard roof or no expansion of corridors or that sort of thing?

i thought the whole reason we didnt have AC was because of the need for hot air to hold the roof up?

i thought the whole reason we didnt have AC was because of the need for hot air to hold the roof up?
I was also wondering about a possible conflict between inflating the roof and cooling the building.

I think it was only because AC is/was an added expense for a building that wasn't going to be used in the summer plus they can't put the chillers on the roof out of the way.

Heat only affects athletic events 1 day of the year, right? The football home opener. After that, heat is not an issue.

Guess it's more for whatever summer events are held at the dome?

For any engineering types - does proceeding with AC have implications for a diminished renovation project - would doing AC now mean for instance no hard roof or no expansion of corridors or that sort of thing?
I am pretty sure the air in the dome goes below 70 sometimes. Sala said a/c may not wait for other renos

So the dome is held up primarily by air pressure. The introduction of cooling will likely make maintaining that pressure a bit more energy intensive, but I don't believe it would cause a failure of the system. That said, it is possible that the system would be oversized for the future just to handle this roof compensation that isn't needed in the future. I guess the positive to that is that we will always be able to make it cooler. The bigger positive potential is that the larger system could handle more future expansion cooling needs. The potential downside is in planning. An oversized or even a poorly located system could hinder future renovation. If the only place to put it eliminates the roof, then it needs to go on the ground. On the ground, with necessary servicing access, and fresh air intake requirements, it could become a real impediment if placed in what potentially becomes the best place for future growth. There are always ways around this, but they tend to cost more, or force a square-ish peg into a circle like hole.

Heat only affects athletic events 1 day of the year, right? The football home opener. After that, heat is not an issue.

Guess it's more for whatever summer events are held at the dome?

I think it was last year or the year before that more than half the home football games were like being in a sweat box. Tough to predict game to game less year to year.

I think it was last year or the year before that more than half the home football games were like being a sweat box. Tough to predict game to game less year to year.
I predict we'll see 3-4 games regularly going forward in September so A/C is a good thing.

Lots of "hushed" discussions but getting A/C before anything else is a strong possibility. I think the daily orange article got way out in front of themselves.

Sept. 2016: "In response to an audience question, Sala acknowledged that air conditioning could be added before the entire project is completed. He said that idea has been discussed by Syracuse and would be determined by how the university chooses to phase the project."

Considering the lacrosse games, spring Games, and late season football games that are in temperatures less than what you would set your AC at, I can't believe it would effect the roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom