Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 169 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Connecting the Barnes Center to the Dome.

IMG_5324.jpeg

• Build a new residence hall at 700 Ostrom Ave., adjacent to Thornden Park. This new facility will house at least 450 students. The architect has been selected, and the student experience team will host several opportunities this spring for student input. The University’s goal is to begin construction this year.
  • Demolish Marion Hall and Kimmel Hall and Dining Center on the corner of Comstock and Waverly avenues to make way for a modern, new residence hall. The University is currently working through a timeline for the design and construction of this new facility.
The strategy was informed by an experience Chancellor Syverud had when he first arrived at Syracuse. The Chancellor lived among first-year students in Brewster, Boland, and Brockway Halls with the goal of understanding how students were experiencing campus and what the University could do to make it better.

The housing strategy builds on the recent announcement that new housing will be made available at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center and at 727 South Crouse, the apartment complex formerly known as the Marshall. As the University previously announced, the Sheraton will be converted into a residence hall for sophomores. That work will begin immediately following Commencement in May. The renovated Sheraton will open as a residence hall for sophomores in fall 2024. And, 727 South Crouse will be fully brought into the University’s housing portfolio in fall 2024 and available to sophomores.

so given the new entrance and that the band used to enter down that alley to the home sideline, I would guess the band will come in from the quad sidenow using this new entrance which is already pretty congested.?

Marion dates to 1954. Kimmel to 1962. I think these are two of the oldest dorm buildings at SU still in service.

Let's just say they have bad locations on the side of the great Thornden drumlin and are undistinguished architecturally. I can't say I will miss them.

I think a dorm near the top of the hill on Ostrom will provide nicer views, a location closer to the main campus and a facility that is 60 or 70 years newer than these old dorms. Guessing it will be well received.

It looks like it will be opposite the street from the Life Sciences building. Hopefully it will not take up the whole block (and also border Comstock) so the sororitys and frats on Comstock can survive.

New Dorm Location.jpg

Marion dates to 1954. Kimmel to 1962. I think these are two of the oldest dorm buildings at SU still in service.

Let's just say they have bad locations on the side of the great Thornden drumlin and are undistinguished architecturally. I can't say I will miss them.

I think a dorm near the top of the hill on Ostrom will provide nicer views, a location closer to the main campus and a facility that is 60 or 70 years newer than these old dorms. Guessing it will be well received.

It looks like it will be opposite the street from the Life Sciences building. Hopefully it will not take up the whole block (and also border Comstock) so the sororitys and frats on Comstock can survive.

View attachment 238159

I read it as the one new dorm building will be going on the vacant lots on Ostom they created when they demolished all of those houses (including the homes of the Daily Orange and WAER) several years ago. Let's hope that's what is happening and they won't be demoing the frat/sorority houses on Comstock as well, as you said. I have no idea who actually owns those properties.

I read it as the one new dorm building will be going on the vacant lots on Ostom they created when they demolished all of those houses (including the homes of the Daily Orange and WAER) several years ago. Let's hope that's what is happening and they won't be demoing the frat/sorority houses on Comstock as well, as you said. I have no idea who actually owns those properties.
When I googled 700 Ostrom, I got the west side of Ostrom just south of the intersection with University Place. So I think I have the location right but with Google, you never know. I don't know these addresses well.

I am rooting for the survival of the Greek houses too. IMHO, they provide a college feel that that area really needs to retain its character as a college campus.

It would be shame to lose them.

Phi Kappa Psi kind of defines the start of campus coming west down University Place. I can't imagine the campus without it.

Greek.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 238159

As somebody with more than a passing interest to that area of Comstock
(as one might easily glean from my handle)

I can tell you that Sig Ep is going to boot the current brotherhood out of the house, and apparently plans to rent it out to another fraternity for a few years.

My educated guess is - since Zeta Psi's house is on the register of historical places, it cannot be torn down.
But 721 Comstock is a fairly new construction from the early 80's, so I'm sure that our National would be more than happy to sell it to the University (for the right price), to facilitate either the construction of a new dorm,

and/or

as pass-thru conduit to access Ostrom behind Comstock.

At this point, I'd be shocked if 721 Comstock (the building, not me ;) )
is still standing 5 years from now.

I can tell you that Sig Ep is going to boot the current brotherhood out of the house, and apparently plans to rent it out to another fraternity for a few years.

My educated guess is - since Zeta Psi's house is on the register of historical places, it cannot be torn down.
But 721 Comstock is a fairly new construction from the early 80's, so I'm sure that our National would be more than happy to sell it to the University (for the right price), to facilitate either the construction of a new dorm,

and/or

I would be fine with this. Not a historic building. IMHO, if we have to knock something down, this is the kind of building we want to target.

2_FrancisTang_ANE-1-scaled.jpeg

and/or

My money is on the building :)

Some of the SU campus' charm in my years ('70s) was that there were still houses and neighborhoods within the campus boundaries. I took courses in old houses on University Place where the Newhouse buildings now stand. The area west of Archbold Stadium was a mix of private housing and repurposed old houses. It felt more town/gown back then. But, nothing stays the same and no use crying about it. Life moves on. :)

That’s my understanding as well. The lots on the corner behind the frat buildings are empty and ready for construction. The sites been sitting vacant. My guess is they used the address as a reference point but it’ll really be on Ostrom.

The hint to BB experience makes me wonder if long term plan is to tear those down. Would open up room for parking if we were to build a hotel next to the school of law or somewhere in a current lot.

View attachment 238159
I lived in Marion sophomore year and thought it was an undervalued gem.

Close to classes, m street and my frat

Loved it there

Sad day

That’s my understanding as well. The lots on the corner behind the frat buildings are empty and ready for construction. The sites been sitting vacant. My guess is they used the address as a reference point but it’ll really be on Ostrom.

The hint to BB experience makes me wonder if long term plan is to tear those down. Would open up room for parking if we were to build a hotel next to the school of law or somewhere in a current lot.
Found this, an updated version of the future campus that was updated in 2023.

It includes diagrams featuring a large dorm along Oateom, where we thought, and it shows the Greek buildings behind it in Cometoxl remaining intact. Cool.

The most interesting diagram to me though is on page 15.

It has a building add on just west of the dome. It appears the buildings are attached. Did not read it all to see if it explained what this building was. But I suspect it is a hotel.

1708996117021.jpeg

Attachments

• 1708995834836.jpeg
    1708995834836.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 68

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online