Future Head Coaching Candidates Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Future Head Coaching Candidates Thread

Money can't force the hand of a stubborn old man. I'm not worried about find a good candidate, I'm worried about what the state of the program will be when it's handed over.
Now that, me and you are on the same page. Realistically, it would make the most sense for Boeheim to retire this year because we are going to have to hire an assistant just for him to retire and then get fired. We could just promote everyone for this year and hire a new DOBO which would be relatively cheap and more morally correct. If Boeheim is here for 3+ years that would be a shame. He's 72 years old. It's time. He said this next year will be his last. That is fair. It should be and this program can look to hire a new candidate.

You've got to be high if you think G Mac is getting the gig here when JAB is done.

And Shaka Smart is no longer a hot commodity either...no way do I want him.

I would like to hope Jay Wright, close to JB, Northeast guy and would upgrade to ACC, but I would take Josh Pastner!

pining for Mark Few

expecting 3 more years of JB then Gerry McNamara

the7f6a493.gif

I was kind of thinking about Mark Few, too. He's only 53, which is only a few years older than Hop. And how much more can he accomplish at Gonzaga anyway? Maybe he'd like to coach in the best conference in the country.

Buzz would be ideal, but we will never pay that much. I personally think Willard is a great fit, though most don't, it seems. He can recruit NY/NJ, where we've lacked lately. Would be nice to get top talent out of that area again.
I don't think we focus as much on NY/NJ as much because we are a National Program

Maybe I missed it but has Billy Donovan of the OKC Thunder name been mentioned? Would cost some heavy paper but a proven college coach who might want back in. Also, what about Brad Stevens of the Celtics!

Buzz would be ideal, but we will never pay that much. I personally think Willard is a great fit, though most don't, it seems. He can recruit NY/NJ, where we've lacked lately. Would be nice to get top talent out of that area again.

Yeah, Willard should make the list, along with Archie Miller, the guy from Wichita State (53 years old), and who else? Would we consider Tommy Amaker, or the guy at Princeton?

Maybe I missed it but has Billy Donovan of the OKC Thunder name been mentioned? Would cost some heavy paper but a proven college coach who might want back in. Also, what about Brad Stevens of the Celtics!

Stevens isn't leaving. He's on the verge of being a contender in Boston.
Donovan is an interesting thought. I would sign up for that in a minute.

Of the suggestions in this thread, Gregg Marshall would easily be #1 for me. I like the way his teams play. But it all depends on when JB actually leaves and who is available at that time. I definitely don't think we should limit ourselves to "an SU guy" and I don't think Wildhack will.

I think we will continue to be one of college basketballs' perennials. we may have more ups and downs than we have been used to while we try to get the right guy, (see UNC with Matt Doherty, Kentucky with Billy Gillispie, etc.), but basketball is too important to this school and this community to let it decline. And the combination of the biggest arena and no competition from pro sports plus a long winning tradition in a power conference will make this a destination for good coaches and players for years to come.

Can people be realistic?! Forget Jay Wright, Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. We are not Kentucky, Kansas or Duke.
We are Syracuse and should be proud of that fact. Attendance is over 23k on an annual basis and we have a rabid fan base. So I say go for the best and see what transpires.

I don't think we focus as much on NY/NJ as much because we are a National Program

It's not like that area isn't still a hotbed of talent. In our backyard, with kids who grow up watching Syracuse.

I'm not crazy about Buzz. He can coach, but he seems like a heart attack waiting to happen. He's like one step above Frank Martin, although not such a jerk.

It's not like that area isn't still a hotbed of talent. In our backyard, with kids who grow up watching Syracuse.

But there's always so much drama, so many handlers, etc., dealing with NYC recruits.

Realistically, it would make the most sense for Boeheim to retire this year because we are going to have to hire an assistant just for him to retire and then get fired.

This times 100. What decent assistant are we going to get with Boeheim supposedly leaving a year later? Answer: no one.

As I read through this thread, I can't help but picture people frothing at the mouth as they frantically make some of these posts.

But there's always so much drama, so many handlers, etc., dealing with NYC recruits.

True. That seems to be the main reason we have strayed away from the area, or recruits when we've learned about their issues.

We are Syracuse and should be proud of that fact. Attendance is over 23k on an annual basis and we have a rabid fan base. So I say go for the best and see what transpires.

We also punch above our weight for media exposure. We're a top 10-20 program overall but NYC/Newhouse/Dome/JB/Crowds gives us the footprint of a top 10 team every year. What's the first thing people talked about when the brackets came out? Syracuse is out. What's the first thing people talked about last year when the brackets came out? Syracuse is in.

I love Hopkins but he's going to be playing games that start at 11 pm on the east coast. This is a sport with a strong east coast bias for media coverage and power teams.

It's a long way to Washington.

Last edited:
I was kind of thinking about Mark Few, too. He's only 53, which is only a few years older than Hop. And how much more can he accomplish at Gonzaga anyway? Maybe he'd like to coach in the best conference in the country.
Mark Few would EASILY be #1 for me but don't think he leaves the Zags

Getting to a F4 would be a good place to start. ;)

This times 100. What decent assistant are we going to get with Boeheim supposedly leaving a year later? Answer: no one.

That is a big problem. That assumes that he is leaving after next season. Unless they push him out I don't think next year will be it for him