Future Head Coaching Candidates Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Future Head Coaching Candidates Thread

I was kind of thinking about Mark Few, too. He's only 53, which is only a few years older than Hop. And how much more can he accomplish at Gonzaga anyway? Maybe he'd like to coach in the best conference in the country.

Aren't Jimmy and Few buddies?

I think Few has taken it as far as possible at Gonzaga.

yes, they are very close

and Few has terrific Canadian recruiting connections

I would think he intends to take it farther, as soon as this year's NCAAT.

If we could choose anybody I'd take that guy whose team comes from East Lansing.

Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan aren't leaving the NBA for this job. It's best to just drop those thoughts.

Unless we have money that I didn't know we were willing to spend, paired with dome renovations approved and underway, Jay Wright is not coming either.

Would request other ideas than these 3.

Coach Few would be great but I don't know how willing he'd be to leave Gonzaga.

That is a big problem. That assumes that he is leaving after next season. Unless they push him out I don't think next year will be it for him

Well, he's been averaging around 14 losses per season these last 3 years, he will be 73 in November and he isn't out there hustling big time recruits anymore. If we DON'T get someone new for next year, I think it's better than 50/50 that we have a losing record next year.

If we could choose anybody I'd take that guy whose team comes from East Lansing.

Izzo is a great coach, but he has been getting stale at Michigan State. Would a move revitalize him, or would he be leaving his usual recruiting grounds to his detriment?

Izzo is a great coach, but he has been getting stale at Michigan State. Would a move revitalize him, or would he be leaving his usual recruiting grounds to his detriment?

I know - he hasn't been to a F4 since 2015.

I don't know if a move would revitalize him but I'd love to find out.

Stevie Thompson. Oregon State assistant.

I don't know, really think Buzz would pass up coaching at Syracuse for VTech? I'd understand many other schools with that sort of money, but VTech?

I'd be fine with a young, energetic, proven mid major coach.

He's done a great job there and has built a laughing stock into a contender. Doubt he'd leave.

He's done a great job there and has built a laughing stock into a contender. Doubt he'd leave.

Would be hanging on his outspoken admiration of our program and the fact that its a chance at true greatness for him. I consider him the most likely of the pipe dreams, but nonetheless a pipe dream.

Ok, read all the previous 10 pages. Nobody mentioned Rob Murphy. Was part of the SU family, supposedly did well developing forwards. Would be cheaper than many listed. Please, no slams.

Johnny Dawkins. Very realistic and you know he'd jump at the chance to coach in the ACC.

He's done good things at UCF in 1 year. Needs to be on the east coast.

Ok, read all the previous 10 pages. Nobody mentioned Rob Murphy. Was part of the SU family, supposedly did well developing forwards. Would be cheaper than many listed. Please, no slams.

His lack of success at EMU could derail that thought.

107-97 (.525)
Needs to sustain some success and make some NCAA appearances before we consider him seriously in my opinion. Understandable recommendation though.

I would make Brad Stevens tell me no. His teams may not have been run and gun like the Sherman Douglas Syracuse teams, but so what. We haven't played like that in a long time either. Who knows, maybe he's sick of the pro experience.

I would make Brad Stevens tell me no. His teams may not have been run and gun like the Sherman Douglas Syracuse teams, but so what. We haven't played like that in a long time either. Who knows, maybe he's sick of the pro experience.

Gotta wait for the Celtics' stockpile of draft picks to play out. If Boston ends up drafting third this year and Ainge can't come up with a superstar, Stevens may look to move on... in about three or four years. He'd be in demand in the League too so this one is a super long shot. Billy is a better fit because the OKC project is very much up in the air and he's been so successful at the college level.

I posted about him in the Assistant Coach thread. I said that I didn't know the entire situation but I think he could possibly make a great assistant coach. Got to believe he has learned a lot since he left here.

not a gregg marshall fan. he's an incessant whiner who refuses to schedule anybody OOC.

(edit : glad kentucky knocked him out of the tourney again. how do you like playing with the big boys ?)

Greg Marshall can flat out coach and he obviously can evaluate talent. They play great man to man defense. I don't blame him for his OOC. Play home and home or we won't play.

I know - he hasn't been to a F4 since 2015.

I don't know if a move would revitalize him but I'd love to find out.
Maybe Izzo and Boeheim could just switch jobs. Seems plausible that each would be willing to leave the places where they've spent most of their lives and careers to try to something new.

I have a friend who is close to the Marquette program - he's linked Buzz to OKState forever and thinks he might make the leap now that Underwood is gone.

I agree that guys like Wright, Stevens and Donovan completely unrealistic.

To me, with someone like Marshall, I think he'd want a blue blood job, like Indiana, or he'd just stay at Wichita. I'd love to have him but I don't know if I see him leaving WSU as long as the money is somewhat comparable. He's this generation's Mark Few. He seem a little more into the glamour and spotlight than Few does, but I think Marshall stays unless IU wants him.

If people think GMac is a legit option, that this to me is 100% about JB wanting to coach more and Wildehack letting him. Earlier in the day I thought it was that Hop was longer the CIW and there would be a national serach once JB left - so Hop saw a safe landing spot and jumped. However, if people think GMac might be the guy, then that's no different than Hop. It's the same exact thing except in a few years later than planned. I really hope this isn't the case. I like GMac, but I'm ready for new blood.

I'm in the camp of the group that thinks we could get mostly anyone we want as long as we are willing to spend a little. I'd prefer not get a retread like Dawkins or a guy making a huge massive leap like Rob Murphy. But someone like Kevin Willard would definitely interest me. I'm not sure we could get another ACC coach, that'd be tough.

I actually liked the Maurice Joseph mention early in the this thread. It is a little too soon for him, but if JB does stay 3-4 years and Joseph has GW playing well in A10 contention every year, I'd give him a call.

I like the idea of a non-power 5 coach. I feel like there's more upside as their ability in a big conference is unknown- of course I suppose that comes with more risk.