FWIW - recruiting | Syracusefan.com

FWIW - recruiting

Was told today that coach has eyes firmly on the portal , so keep that in mind on recruiting. Also, someone has ponied up some significant NIL money: up to $25k for top players. (I assume per annum.)
Damnnn

I have heard from a few people that the B10 teams have a good amount of money (5 figures) to offer from NiL collectives.

This makes me wonder has uva and some of the others threw some NIL money in there?
if they have, haven't heard anything about it anywhere. the fanbase wails about the lack of nil support for football and hoops ad nauseum as well. in theory, someone could be targeting lacrosse for it and maybe they are. but it'd set up a weird dynamic if it was going to recruits vs. established players. or even stars vs others, escpecially given scholly differentials.

uva finally has a huge chunk of their roster rolling off the next 2 years after a pileup with covid. by my count at least 29, and their roster is only in the 40s. there's probably a lot of scholly money freeing up.

they're also skewing real heavy toward privates or very high wealth areas now, like a lot of teams. these folks often don't care as much for the sticker price, they've been loading up on lessons, clubs, private education investment for ages.

they're also skewing real heavy toward privates or very high wealth areas now, like a lot of teams. these folks often don't care as much for the sticker price, they've been loading up on lessons, clubs, private education investment for ages.

Grow the game. :rolleyes:

A friend was talking to the father of an elite recruit recently and was told that his son was offered $50k a season to play for a name brand school by a booster (on top of the free tuition). He actually turned it down (!) and is attending another name brand school for just the free tuition because he likes the program better.

My first comment was, who the hell is paying lax players that much cash? He caught the booster's first name and after doing so simple googling I can confirm that it is definitely within his means.

Last edited:
A friend was talking to the father of an elite recruit recently and was told that his son was offered $50k a season to play for a name brand school by a booster (on top of the free tuition). He actually turned it down (!) and is attending another name brand school for just the free tuition because he likes the program better.

My first comment was, who the hell is paying lax players that much cash? He caught the boosters first name and after doing so simple googling I can confirm that it is definitely within his means.
That is just … disturbing.

I have no problem with college kids making money with NILs. They put the butts in seats and eyes on screens. They deserve it. But boosters shouldn’t be able to be involved like that. It’s naive to think they won’t be, I understand that, but it’s just … gross.

My first comment was, who the hell is paying lax players that much cash? He caught the boosters first name and after doing so simple googling I can confirm that it is definitely within his means.

Warren Buffett?
Jimmy Buffett?

Throw us a breadcrumb or something. :D

Is Lacrosse a money making sport for the University?

I’d guess likely not because our tuition is so high but SU probably has one of, if not the top, attendance nationally and I’m sure sells their fair share of merchandise. Who knows though, throw in TV maybe they do make money.

My first comment was, who the hell is paying lax players that much cash? He caught the booster's first name and after doing so simple googling I can confirm that it is definitely within his means.

you got to give us more than that. which programs are we talking about here

That is just … disturbing.

I have no problem with college kids making money with NILs. They put the butts in seats and eyes on screens. They deserve it. But boosters shouldn’t be able to be involved like that. It’s naive to think they won’t be, I understand that, but it’s just … gross.
The school can’t be involved

I’d guess likely not because our tuition is so high but SU probably has one of, if not the top, attendance nationally and I’m sure sells their fair share of merchandise. Who knows though, throw in TV maybe they do make money.
The AD pays the school the cost of the athletics scholarships, so there is no money list by the school on those.

agreed. decent amount of humblebragging from the source of that story in that game of telephone.
Exactly. We all have those friends. BS

Atleast tell us what class the player is in. In my opinion none of the 23 players would be worth 50k and a full ride. Don’t even see a full ride worthy player.

you got to give us more than that. which programs are we talking about here

I have no info on this whatsoever, but I'd have to think that Oliver Marti (Brown) and Joe Tsai (Yale), will each be involved in the NIL game.

I have no info on this whatsoever, but I'd have to think that Oliver Marti (Brown) and Joe Tsai (Yale), will each be involved in the NIL game.
Possibly - first hand knowledge that Brown hasn’t taken that step with some top players. One in particular in the 22 class (5*) that was leaning Brown and was the only one being recruited at his position for his class. Player went else where after coaches couldn’t even have the school do an early read on financial aid. Very possible that things changed after that frustration from all parties involved in that recruitment.

These booster funded NIL deals are happening more than you think in the recent recruiting landscape. I've heard of a couple such offers, all top 10 recruits or top tier transfer targets (one of which you may be very familiar with). None at the $50k a year range but some around half of that. Some accepted and some passed on.

These booster funded NIL deals are happening more than you think in the recent recruiting landscape. I've heard of a couple such offers, all top 10 recruits or top tier transfer targets (one of which you may be very familiar with). None at the $50k a year range but some around half of that. Some accepted and some passed on.
So a Georgetown booster paid Dordevic $25 grand to transfer. Awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom