FYI (in regards to Dion contract) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

FYI (in regards to Dion contract)

Iman Shumpert, Moe Harkless, and teh guy from Miami are all average (at the very best) NBA players who signed 4 yr $40+ million dollar deals.

1 yr 2.9 mil is for a borderline NBA player or an aging vet chasing a championship. Not a 24 yr old who is undeniably better on the court than the 3 players I just mentioned.

I was responding to the idea of Dion being an elite player in the league. I never said the contract was fair value.

I'm not sure I agree with the bolded at all.

Iman Shumpert, Moe Harkless, and teh guy from Miami are all average (at the very best) NBA players who signed 4 yr $40+ million dollar deals.

1 yr 2.9 mil is for a borderline NBA player or an aging vet chasing a championship. Not a 24 yr old who is undeniably better on the court than the 3 players I just mentioned.
Tyler Johnson (teh guy from Miami) has played less than 70 total games in his NBA career.

He got $50 million.

Call me crazy but I'd rather have him than Dion on my team.
So did the Nets, I guess.

I think Dion just said screw it, this is a bunch of money no matter what, I've been in Cleveland and Oklahoma City, I'm going to Miami and enjoying the beach for a year.

Call me crazy but I'd rather have him than Dion on my team.

basically same age as Dion... what has he done to prove more to you that he is capable of being a great player?

I was responding to the idea of Dion being an elite player in the league. I never said the contract was fair value.

I'm not sure I agree with the bolded at all.

who would be considered a better basketball player? definitely not Shumpert. Tyler Johnson, Moe Harkless? They've done nothing in their careers outside of a random spark here or there.

Maybe Dion took less money to Start for a possibly very good team.

Goran Dragic, Hassan Whiteside, Chris Bosh. Only other SG on Miami is Joe Johnson?

Maybe Dion took less money to Start for a possibly very good team.

Goran Dragic, Hassan Whiteside, Chris Bosh. Only other SG on Miami is Joe Johnson?

Joe johnson is in Utah. They have Tyler Johnson and Josh Richardson.

basically same age as Dion... what has he done to prove more to you that he is capable of being a great player?

He played really well last year. It was only 36 games, but 36 games with a 58% true shooting%. I'm not going to slice and dice the game logs but I wouldn't be surprised if Dion never had a stretch like that in his career.

I may have made this point before, but it's incredible how Dion is spoke of here compared to, well, everywhere else in the NBA universe. The guy has been a bad player for his career. Not he hasn't been a good player, or he hasn't been an average player, he has been bad. And pretty consistently bad.

In his career, he has a usage rate of 23.2% and a true shooting of 48.8%. If you look at guys over the last 4 years who have played 200 games with a usage over 21.5% and a true shooting% of 50% or lower, this is the list you get:

Jared Sullinger (this was a surprise to me)
Josh Smith
Dion Waiters
Trey Burke
Charlie Villanueva
Kevin Seraphin
Ish Smith

Very few players have combined his usage rate and inefficiency.

Joe johnson is in Utah. They have Tyler Johnson and Josh Richardson.

He played really well last year. It was only 36 games, but 36 games with a 58% true shooting%. I'm not going to slice and dice the game logs but I wouldn't be surprised if Dion never had a stretch like that in his career.

I may have made this point before, but it's incredible how Dion is spoke of here compared to, well, everywhere else in the NBA universe. The guy has been a bad player for his career. Not he hasn't been a good player, or he hasn't been an average player, he has been bad. And pretty consistently bad.

In his career, he has a usage rate of 23.2% and a true shooting of 48.8%. If you look at guys over the last 4 years who have played 200 games with a usage over 21.5% and a true shooting% of 50% or lower, this is the list you get:

Jared Sullinger (this was a surprise to me)
Josh Smith
Dion Waiters
Trey Burke
Charlie Villanueva
Kevin Seraphin
Ish Smith

Very few players have combined his usage rate and inefficiency.
Ouch. That's not good company.

But he's incredibly fast and a good passer

Yeah it's scary to think what he could do if he could shoot like, at all.

He takes 13.5 shots per 36, which seems a little high for a guy who can't shoot.

Incredibly terrible deal, but next year he will get paid. Hopefully with help from a new agent. Some people around here hate Dion. No explaining to some. This deal is epic in how bad it is with the new market. Dion has struggled at times, but has improved every year especially on D.

Incredibly terrible deal, but next year he will get paid. Hopefully with help from a new agent. Some people around here hate Dion. No explaining to some. This deal is epic in how bad it is with the new market. Dion has struggled at times, but has improved every year especially on D.

It's not hate. Just fact. He's not a very good basketball player in every possible facet of the game. Eye test, analytics, whatever.

The "especially on d" line is particularly funny. One interpretation is he went from matador or Harden-style lost to poor man's Leonard. The "proof" of whatever transformation has occurred has been melded in everyone's mind by what? 10-15 games of the 2015-16 postseason? Sample size people.

He could have squeezed a few million more from the right team if the timing was right. The Sixers were spot on to not wreck their 5 (10?) year plan with some offer on the guy. But at the end of the day he's the 6th to 10th man on a team. He could play for 10-12 years, but I don't see him ever becoming a non-expendable.

Right on cue.

Donovan put him in at the end of games to play D. But, what does he know.

And hard to say it's not hate when you say he's not good in any facete of the game, SoBe.

And your opinion is fact? Gotcha.

Poppy, my sample size is much more than the playoffs. I love the NBA unlike many college basketball fans. I've watched Dion as much as possible. It's my opinion, but it's not a small sample size.

Right on cue.

Donovan put him in at the end of games to play D. But, what does he know.

And hard to say it's not hate when you say he's not good in any facete of the game, SoBe.

Again, it's not hate just fact. You take it so personally. You just have to accept it. Shouldn't be that hard, lol.

If Dion was such a terrible basketball player, he wouldn't get minutes. He's gotten big minutes on every team he's been on,including a top 3 team in the league last year.

If Dion was such a terrible basketball player, he wouldn't get minutes. He's gotten big minutes on every team he's been on,including a top 3 team in the league last year.

This is true to an extent, but that team is so great in large part because they have 2 of the 5 or 6 best players in the league. Derek Fisher started (didn't play as many minutes as Dion, but he started) for the Thunder in his last year, he was awful. Andrea Bargnani has played nearly 30 minutes a game for his career and he is nearly indescribably bad.

I don't think Dion is terrible at everything, but I don't think he is any good.

The Thunder were a lot better with him off the court, for whatever that is worth. For his career, his team is about 2 points per 100 better when he sits than when he plays. There is a lot of noise in that data, just throwing it out there.

I think the most disturbing part of this is how many Syracuse fans are relishing the fact that Dion got a terrible contract. And they all happen to be LeBron fans. Jeez give it a rest already. He complained about getting the ball one time and ended up getting traded. Let it go.

Again, it's not hate just fact. You take it so personally. You just have to accept it. Shouldn't be that hard, lol.

Accept what? That your opinion is a fact?

Not sure what I would take personal. I'm not Dion, and just stating what I believe to be true. Same as you. No facts when it comes to saying he's not good in any facet of the game. Could argue the opposite is fact since you know, he's in the NBA.

Data doesn't always tell the whole truth. But, I get it. People don't watch much NBA, so have to rely on that to make their points. I'm not saying the man is a damn all-star or even close but he's worth more than this contract. And has improved, his attitude too. A few bad instances and you would think he came out of UK or Duke around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom