Class of 2017 - G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 G Hamidou Diallo (NY) to Kentucky

bozophobe said:
The Syrakuse Orangemen

What do you say, Dr. Syverud?

That is sweet, can we change to blue, too?

We always seem to play like garbage when we wear blue unis :p

I believe the last time we wore all blue was at ND. It was that Flynn, Green, Harris squad and JB said something similar to your post and added that we wouldn't wear them again. Then there was the infamous blue shorts when we were undefeated playing a bad Boston College team. I'm convinced that there was no way to win in those ugly effin things. Navy Blue has proven that it cannot be used as a main color for SU basketball.

On a side note that 2014 team had some serious talent it was just that most of it had yet to fully mature other than CJ. Look at that squad though:
Ennis
Cooney
Gbinije
Grant
Fair
Roberson
Christmas
Keita
(Coleman got hurt early that season)

Last edited:
UConn seems to think that means he's a lock for them. I highly doubt this is the case but anyone have any thoughts?

If he's a lock for anything it's NBA.

If a miracle is granted and he plays college ball we are way ahead ofUconn in the pecking order at this point.

UConn seems to think that means he's a lock for them. I highly doubt this is the case but anyone have any thoughts?

Pipe Dream. I still think he needs to learn to shoot before he's a guaranteed NBA player, but hey you never know. Reminds me of Whitehead to be honest.

So why can he go straight to the NBA? Prep for a year?
He has already graduated hs, so by the time the draft rolls around he will be 1 year removed from graduation.

I'm still in the camp that he goes to college.

You seem to be in the minority but he seems pretty insistent about planning to go the college route. His game needs a ton of work. My guess is if he winds up going pro, he'd wind up in the D league. Would he rather learn there and get paid?

How did he wind up graduating early? Anybody have info on that? I don't recall reading the specifics on that.

You seem to be in the minority but he seems pretty insistent about planning to go the college route. His game needs a ton of work. My guess is if he winds up going pro, he'd wind up in the D league. Would he rather learn there and get paid?

How did he wind up graduating early? Anybody have info on that? I don't recall reading the specifics on that.
Not 100% sure, but I know a lot of these kids 'reclassify' early on, and move back a year for competitive reasons. I think reclassify is a PC term for "held back on purpose. As we all know, it's a YUGE advantage to be 18 playing vs. 17 year olds, and 17 vs. 16 year olds, etc. That's why Malachi, MCW etc were turning 20 as freshmen. That's why Andre Drummond, Dakari Johnson, etc. were able to reclassify at the last minute while I, despite having a 97 average in high school, couldn't have done so if I wanted to.

Not 100% sure, but I know a lot of these kids 'reclassify' early on, and move back a year for competitive reasons. I think reclassify is a PC term for "held back on purpose. As we all know, it's a YUGE advantage to be 18 playing vs. 17 year olds, and 17 vs. 16 year olds, etc. That's why Malachi, MCW etc were turning 20 as freshmen. That's why Andre Drummond, Dakari Johnson, etc. were able to reclassify at the last minute while I, despite having a 97 average in high school, couldn't have done so if I wanted to.

Yeah, I just wasn't sure what the scenario was with Hami. I assume Francis03 has the particulars.

A family I know just held their 5 year old son out of kindergarten because he's small but coordinated and shows some promise as an athlete. It's weird. My 5 year old son is big and awkward but does ok in soccer and teeball. He needs interaction in a group setting of his age group more than anything. I can't even imagine holding him back because of athletic concerns as it would hurt his overall development as a person. (2 big sisters and a dotting mother, he's lucky I kept him from being a total puss)

I just don't get how it's allowed. Okay, so a player/ student is in good standing in high school but reclassified at the last minute. How? I don't get it at all.

A family I know just held their 5 year old son out of kindergarten because he's small but coordinated and shows some promise as an athlete. It's weird. My 5 year old son is big and awkward but does ok in soccer and teeball. He needs interaction in a group setting of his age group more than anything. I can't even imagine holding him back because of athletic concerns as it would hurt his overall development as a person. (2 big sisters and a dotting mother, he's lucky I kept him from being a total puss)
It's crazy but it happens all the time. "My 5 year old son is a promising athlete."... W_T_F?

I just don't get how it's allowed. Okay, so a player/ student is in good standing in high school but reclassified at the last minute. How? I don't get it at all.
I'm not sure. I'd imagine if you repeat a year, some credits count towards the graduation requirements. My question is: so he graduated HS, what is he doing in school now? Repeating HS courses? Taking college courses? A lot of these prep schools are designed for that purpose.

It's crazy but it happens all the time. "My 5 year old son is a promising athlete."... W_T_F?

Imagine how hard it is to be in front or said parents when they say that stuff and are dead serious. I have 3 kids so I've seen a bunch of crazy stuff. My rules for my kids are simple. If we pay for it you are committed for that season. You go to all practices/games and give effort. If you want to practice extra I'll help you. If you want to quite after the season is over thats fine. Basically I let them drive the buss as to how driven they want to be.

My oldest picked up softball last season and was almost depressed when she struggled mightily at the beginning of the season. She knows my rules which is why I was extremely proud of her when 4 games in she came to me and said "I'm not playing softball ever again, but I want you to help me get better so I don't let my team down." We practised 2 evening a week and every Sunday. She went from being hidden in right field to playing second and shortstop (not quite enough arm strength to play 3rd). She had one of the most consistently accurate throws to 1st on her team. She hit the ball hard almost every atbat the last 6 games (it was a struggle with hitting but she finally connected in the game on a hard foul ground ball down the 3rd baseline and it was smooth sailing after that). One if her coaches told her that she had improved more than any player they had ever had during the course of the season. She is completely psyched for next season (as am I to work with her on the side). I was proud but more than anything happy to see her happiness when her hard work payed off. She's has also worked harder this soccer season as a result.

Kids sports are hard for parents because they simply cannot see the complete picture like an adult can. They have developing brains, coordination and growth spurts. It's often a comedy of errors. You just have to remember that you can only take it as seriously as your child does.

Last edited:
Imagine how hard it is to be in front os said parents when they say that stuff and are dead serious. I have 3 kids so I've seen a bunch of crazy stuff. My rules for my kids are simple. If we pay for it you are committed for that season. You go to all practices/games and give effort. If you want to practice extra I'll help you. If you want to quite after the season is over thats fine. Basically I let them drive the buss as to how driven they want to be.

My oldest picked up softball last season and was almost depressed when she struggled mightily at the beginning of the season. She knows my rules which is why I was extremely proud of her when 4 games in she came to me and said "I'm not playing softball ever again, but I want you to help me get better do I don't let my team down." We prayed 2 evening a week and every Sunday. She went from being hidden in right field to playing second and shortstop (not quite enough arm strength to play 3rd). She had one of the most consistently accurate throws to 1st on her team. She hit the ball hard almost every atbat the last 6 games (it was a struggle with hitting but she finally connected in the game on a hard foul ground ball down the 3rd baseline and it was smooth sailing after that). One if her coaches told her that she had improved more than any player they had ever had during the course of the season. She is completely psyched for next season (as an I to work with her on the side). I was proud but more than anything happy to see her happiness when her hard work payed off. She's as also worked harder this soccer season as a result.

Kids sports are hard for parents because they simply cannot see the complete picture like an adult can. They have developing brains, coordination and growth spurts. It's often a comedy if errors. You just have to remember that you can only take it as seriously as your child does.

I'd like that 50x if I could, man!