G-Mac | Syracusefan.com

G-Mac

SWFLCUSE

All Conference
I have been keeping my ear to the ground for the FGCU Head Coaching position, and one name the caught my eye... Gerry McNamara. His name was one of about 20-25 names I've heard for the job so far. At the age of 29, and with only two true years as a coach I don't really think he is head coach material (yet), I just thought it was interesting that he already had a hat in the ring.

GMac seems like a guy that bleeds Orange, but he might never got a chance to be the HC here.

Honestly, he would be a great hire for them. He's still a big enough name in college basketball that it would be splashy even though he's so young and inexperienced. Plus he has a hot wife, which is apparently a prerequisite at Dunk City.

The more I think about it, the more I think it would be win-win for both of them. He's within their price range but still a name, and they are still on everyone's minds so it would give him some visibility immediately. It feels like a really good match, despite his inexperience.

That is a very interesting list. A lot of coaches who have been fired from some decent jobs and then some pretty good assistants. GMac seems very inexperienced to be on that list, but you just never know. I look at a guy like Tim Welsh and you just wonder why he hasn't been hired by another school. Some are puzzling but it's not easy.

I don't know much about Nick Resavy but he always seems pretty active on the bench during games, is he a future coach?

Niagara job is now open as well.

I don't know much about Nick Resavy but he always seems pretty active on the bench during games, is he a future coach?
That is why he became a manager and then a walkon and is now a GA. Great kid, great personality, connects with other players well, real smart. He'll be a coach very soon.

That is why he became a manager and then a walkon and is now a GA. Great kid, great personality, connects with other players well, real smart. He'll be a coach very soon.
Sounds like someone to keep around.

Honestly, he would be a great hire for them. He's still a big enough name in college basketball that it would be splashy even though he's so young and inexperienced. Plus he has a hot wife, which is apparently a prerequisite at Dunk City.

The more I think about it, the more I think it would be win-win for both of them. He's within their price range but still a name, and they are still on everyone's minds so it would give him some visibility immediately. It feels like a really good match, despite his inexperience.

ABC - Always Be Closing...

That is a very interesting list. A lot of coaches who have been fired from some decent jobs and then some pretty good assistants. GMac seems very inexperienced to be on that list, but you just never know. I look at a guy like Tim Welsh and you just wonder why he hasn't been hired by another school. Some are puzzling but it's not easy.
Tim Welsh accepted the Hofstra job 2 years ago, but right after he got arrested on a DUI and resigned from the job to save the school and himself from more negative press. I like Welsh and think he should get another job especially as we have seen Providence isn't the easiest job to win at.

This job would be perfect for Gerry as the recruiting profile has been greatly expanded due to the tournament run, and he will be able to run his own program. However, when I see GMac I think of Chris Collins who stayed with Coach K and Duke for a long time and got a BCS job at Northwestern, and think Gerry may try to do the same. With that said Gerry should try like crazy to get this job and earn himself a better job in the future.

Tim Welsh accepted the Hofstra job 2 years ago, but right after he got arrested on a DUI and resigned from the job to save the school and himself from more negative press. I like Welsh and think he should get another job especially as we have seen Providence isn't the easiest job to win at.
Sure, Tim was out of work two seasons before Hofstra hired him in 2010 only to lose it a month later with the DUI. It's been three seasons now and he hasn't been hired yet. Hopefully someone will overlook the DUI and give him a chance.

Sure, Tim was out of work two seasons before Hofstra hired him in 2010 only to lose it a month later with the DUI. It's been three seasons now and he hasn't been hired yet. Hopefully someone will overlook the DUI and give him a chance.

Would love to see Tim get another shot... Great guy whose worse mistake was accepting the PC job. The only thing that stumps me is why, after 10 years at PC, he only had the one DUI...

Would love to see Tim get another shot... Great guy whose worse mistake was accepting the PC job. The only thing that stumps me is why, after 10 years at PC, he only had the one DUI...
Perhaps PC provided a driver? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom