Game vs Marquette | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Game vs Marquette

Will non-big east refs help? I think we rebound well most of the time and are playing our best D of the year. Are you optimistic or not-so-much?

Anyone know if Burr and Cahill have other engagements this weekend?

Didn't think we rebounded particularly well last night, got a total of 3 boards out of the center position and only outrebounded Indiana by 1....thought we were going to have a much bigger advantage here. I think Marquette will press us more on the boards as they will be more physical and I believe play a much more tenacious style. We need to roll up our sleeves and get after it.

MCW had a big game. Hopefully he plays with in himself against Marquette. Whether he has another big game in him or not remains to be seen, but what I absolutely don't want to see is 3 for 17 game where he is trying to make a big game happen when its not there.

BT had a decent game, but he can play better. He was assertive on offense at times which was good, but still had some careless turnovers that I think he can tighten up. I think this is a good sign, because he hasn't really had that "BIG" game yet and I still think its coming.

Need a more assertive contribution on offense from CJ this game.

Hopefully James finds a little bit more space to get this shot off. Amazing how everyone thought he would be able to get his shot off vs. Oladipo, but the size advantage didn't really help him. With James I think the key is if they play him physically he doesn't react to contact well on offense. If they zone us or assign a lesser defend to him, it will allow him to get free and he could have a bigger impact on offense than he did yesterday.

I am more optimistic for this game than I was for the game against Indiana. Of course, I also realize that there is no chance that we win just because Marquette soils themselves when the zone is unleashed. So that two day prep advantage is gone. I really like the revenge factor. We have avenged the Georgetown losses, now its time to win the last one against Marquette.

This. They OWNED us in the paint. Not on the refs for the last time. We shot only jump shots last game. That's the reason we were at the line so little. We need to man up and rebound. Interior D looks much better than at that point of the season. Marq will be tougher on D than Indiana. We should win this. Hell of a ride!
Interior D was so much better. Crean said just before the 2nd half tip-off that "We'll be fine. We just need to move the ball into the center and back out." Well, they just couldn't do it. The Cuse D smothered the hell out of them.

Didn't think we rebounded particularly well last night, got a total of 3 boards out of the center position and only outrebounded Indiana by 1....thought we were going to have a much bigger advantage here. I think Marquette will press us more on the boards as they will be more physical and I believe play a much more tenacious style. We need to roll up our sleeves and get after it.

MCW had a big game. Hopefully he plays with in himself against Marquette. Whether he has another big game in him or not remains to be seen, but what I absolutely don't want to see is 3 for 17 game where he is trying to make a big game happen when its not there.

BT had a decent game, but he can play better. He was assertive on offense at times which was good, but still had some careless turnovers that I think he can tighten up. I think this is a good sign, because he hasn't really had that "BIG" game yet and I still think its coming.

Need a more assertive contribution on offense from CJ this game.

Hopefully James finds a little bit more space to get this shot off. Amazing how everyone thought he would be able to get his shot off vs. Oladipo, but the size advantage didn't really help him. With James I think the key is if they play him physically he doesn't react to contact well on offense. If they zone us or assign a lesser defend to him, it will allow him to get free and he could have a bigger impact on offense than he did yesterday.

I am more optimistic for this game than I was for the game against Indiana. Of course, I also realize that there is no chance that we win just because Marquette soils themselves when the zone is unleashed. So that two day prep advantage is gone. I really like the revenge factor. We have avenged the Georgetown losses, now its time to win the last one against Marquette.

Good post. Our interior D and D in general is better now but Vander Blue is obviously a better player now and playing GREAT ball. Should be a good, tight game.

Good post. Our interior D and D in general is better now but Vander Blue is obviously a better player now and playing GREAT ball. Should be a good, tight game.
I'd like to think that Vander Blue is just one of those guys who can't figure out how to crack the zone, seems that he's always had trouble against us. But you're right, he's been playing great, so we'll see.

This. They OWNED us in the paint. Not on the refs for the last time. We shot only jump shots last game. That's the reason we were at the line so little. We need to man up and rebound. Interior D looks much better than at that point of the season. Marq will be tougher on D than Indiana. We should win this. Hell of a ride!
True, but it's a lot easier to OWN us in the paint when Gardner was pancaking Keita and Rak (away from the ball) every other time down the court. That opens up a lot of space underneath. There are rules against knocking over a stationary defender to make room for yourself. If they call just a couple of those fouls, the last game would have been different.

That said, I think the way that game unfolded will help us because we will go into this one expecting a wrestling match. I think it's an easier adjustment for us to play more physical if the refs are letting things go than it will be for Marquette to play with more finesse if they call it tight.

I'd like to think that Vander Blue is just one of those guys who can't figure out how to crack the zone, seems that he's always had trouble against us. But you're right, he's been playing great, so we'll see.

I hope Vander Blue's recent success haunts them tomorrow. He's hit a bunch of 18 footers lately, so he's confident. I think our D forces him out of range but he still tries to knock some deep ones down. If we limit them to one shot and the refs give us a fair shake, cuse will be in Atlanta.

Well said. Marquette only looked good last night because Miami played without their center, and half the team had a flu bug, apparently.

This time against Marquette, it won't be on their home floor (much more like ours), there won't be BE refs, JS is back in the flow of the game, and a dozen other major points we have improved on since then. We will roll.

This run, with this team, tells me that we should have won back to back NC's the last two years.

I still can't believe IU outrebounded us 34-33 because it looked as if SU was getting tons of defensive rebounds for one-and-dones. Need to do more of the same against Marquette PLUS must make bunnies! Marquette prides itself on making contested shots. . . 'Cuse must match them on the glass. Finally, value the ball (Brandon), cut down on the throwaways. The Marquette game is a good time to "play angry"!-VBOF

The defense was stifling. Perhaps one of JB's best defensive teams ever. We need the offense to perform like they did tonite, but you are a prophet!
Thanks, but I am no soothsayer. This team has always had the talent to win a championship, they just needed the time to gel & confidence +energy to get over the top.

It's not over yet, but it's all in their hands...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom