Gbinije can be recruited by 'Cuse... | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije can be recruited by 'Cuse...

arbitragegls

All Conference
if ACC does not step in because we will be in ACC while he still is playing. Conferences, and now clarified by B1G Ten, seem to want to get over blocking kids from transfering from a school..as long as that school isnt in the same conference. Are we in the ACC yet...interestingly do we have voting rights in the ACC...we have none in the Big East...so why are we not allowed to go after transfer kids from UConn for example.

What is the ACC rules regarding recruits transferring within conference? Do they even have a rule or is it up to the individual schools?

coach k and duke can block any school for any reason.

i dont think ANYBODY will find fault in K blocking cuse. not even boeheim. IF K decides to block.

Seems like cuse is still involved and if K was going to block he woulda let his pal JB know to stop wasting his time by now.

Seems lke cuse is still involved and if K was going to block he woulda let his pal JB to stop wasting his time by now.
I think the kid has his release. The blocked teams are conditions of the release. It SU was blocked, they could not persue him.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I would just assume K realizes that 1) this kid won't come back to kill them when we play and 2) he can recruit 4 or 5 more players just as good between now and then anyway.

K's feeling is if he's not good enough to play at Duke, he's not good enough to hurt Duke. He will let him go wherever he likes.

coach k and duke can block any school for any reason.

i dont think ANYBODY will find fault in K blocking cuse. not even boeheim. IF K decides to block.

Good point. Chances are, Duke isn't going to look to block anybody. They are [generalization] a selector school, and the negative publicity associated with blocking a player probably isn't worth the hassle.

I'd be surprised if they tack stipulations on a transfer [beyond UNC].

Hmm... I wonder if the current Andre Dawkins rumors could keep him from transferring. Supposedly kicked off the team, now it seems like the school will let him sit out a year. No word on what he did though.

Good point. Chances are, Duke isn't going to look to block anybody. They are [generalization] a selector school, and the negative publicity associated with blocking a player probably isn't worth the hassle.

I'd be surprised if they tack stipulations on a transfer [beyond UNC].

not 100% sure... nobody would have been upset if wisconsin just blocked the big 10 and marquette.

it was the acc and iowa st that got everyone up in arms.

K may or may not block cuse. If he doesn't, it will strictly be because of this wisconsin case and K going out of his way to make himself look better. If he does block, I highly doubt there will be any sort media outcry. It would be a legit block imo.

Hmm... I wonder if the current Andre Dawkins rumors could keep him from transferring. Supposedly kicked off the team, now it seems like the school will let him sit out a year. No word on what he did though.
Even if theres anything to those I doubt he could go back to Duke now. Guy decides I don't like the program and wants out, files to transfer, then asks back after someone in front of him leaves? Kinda awkward.

not 100% sure... nobody would have been upset if wisconsin just blocked the big 10 and marquette.

it was the acc and iowa st that got everyone up in arms.

K may or may not block cuse. If he doesn't, it will strictly be because of this wisconsin case and K going out of his way to make himself look better. If he does block, I highly doubt there will be any sort media outcry. It would be a legit block imo.

I don't know what constitutes a "legit block."

Frankly, I don't think that Duke cares too much about where transfers go, because they've got top kids lined up every year as replacements, and they're not going to sweat losing a guy the same way that a Wisconsin might. And I believe that taking this step would be an unnecessary hassle for Coach K, who isn't going to want to compromise his reputation on the recruiting trail [in whatever small way that it would impact him] by seeming petty, when losing a kid here and there isn't a problem in the big scheme of recruiting for them.

That doesn't mean that he WON'T look to put conditions on a transfer, I just doubt he'd be inclined to do it after the media blitzkreig that focused on how Martelli and Ryan handled their transfer situations. And you're right--nobody would have cared if Ryan had only blocked B1G and Marquette, but that's not what he did.

Here's the latest on that

buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=8490304&cid=231&source=twitter

I was glad to see Mark Watson finally stepped up.

Posting the same thing I posted on the Duke boards.

"I am not a premium member anywhere but I agree with you (regarding silence is deafending, why doesn't so and so expert comment etc) ...

It's one thing to keep things close to the vest when it's positive news that people who paid for the priviledge should have that information somewhat earlier until it becomes public domain.

It's another when something is conjectured so publicly that hurts the team and the individual but is way off base, worse than the actual truth.

Then the premium board owner need to sanction stopping the bleeding of untruths or half truths.

I realize each kid deserves his privacy but at Duke or UNC and in politics, no such thing, a public personna.

I have a hard time believeing a quiet kid like Dawkins would do any conduct detrimental to the team, though we all make mistakes.

Dre has made a number of personal sacrifices that helped Duke win a championship and helped Duke win many games. He had played a fine role on Duke Blue Planet Videos and seems to be a great kid.

Do what needs to be done Dre and hope to see you on the Bball court when the timing is right for you.

The latest statements that Dre will be back with the team this year or next and we should all respect his privacy should be sufficient for everybody. Just wish they had come sooner before speculation ran rampant, self included."

--------------------------

Regarding this thread on Gbinije, Jeff Goodman had an article citicizing Bo Ryan that indicated Duke has placed no restrictions on Mike Gbinije. I don't have the link handy but should be easy to locate

Edit, here it is

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...297/bo-doesnt-know-transfers-and-restrictions

-----------------------------------

Too early to tell if Dawson news would cause Mike to reconsider, but I doubt it. Family had gone pretty far down the transfer path before they spoke with coach K after the team banquet. He was unsuccessful convincing tham and Mike that he should stay but may not have shared this. Who knows?, but who is not telling.

At a minimum I would expect Mike to wait and see what happens at Duke with Amile Jefferson, Rodney Hood and Tony Parker that are in various stages of in play for Duke for this year though Hood has to sit a year wherever he goes. An even bigger concern for him would be if they get Jabari Parker for 2013 or Michigan State does or someone not currently in the lead 2.

Duke now only has Alex Murphy to play SF and Dre Dawkins would have played as a third guard. Josh Hairston has bulked up to 235 to play backup PF and could not guard a SF. It may default to the strongest guard, Tyler Thornton a PG by trade to be the backup WF defender.

Not clear if Amile is strictly a PF or a SF possibility too. He's not heavy or strong enough for the former yet and may not have the skills yet for the latter.

The Dawkins thing is not a huge concern PT wise @ SG since Duke has 4 other combo guards Quinn Cook, Seth Curry, Rasheed Soulaimon the top rated PG this year, and Tyler Thornton (may actualy help them when Seth Curry and Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee graduate this year).

But Duke is in a world of hurt at SF if something happens to the red shirt Alex Murphy, (or if he is not as good as advertised, though Mike must have thought he could not win the job over him), on the former much as UNC was with Kendall Marshall this year at PG. That said, may not matter to Gbinije any more.

Mike is very athletic, could flourish in the Boeheim zone and an offense not as free form as Duke's that relies almost exclusively on individual reads and no set plays.

He is going to get a nasty reception at Cameron a couple of years from now. Would be nice if he lights them up.

Mike is very athletic, could flourish in the Boeheim zone and an offense not as free form as Duke's that relies almost exclusively on individual reads and no set plays.

That's our offense with some high-lows sprinkled in. Hope we can get this Gbinjie.

I'd enjoy seeing him on the team. Now that NN is over, it looks like some intrigue is still left with Gbinije.

I have to say though, I am kind of shocked nobody on here has been trying to dissect his tweets yet!

It looks like the path is wide open for Gbinije to SU, but how likely is this? We sure seem like the front runner at this point, but what is the interest from other schools? How interested is he in SU?

I think he'd be a great fit for our zone and for our offense. 6'6" up top, with athleticism, the ability to handle and finish and good shooting ability is just perfect for us. He could probably play some minutes at F too, so I fully expect JB to put the full court press on for him.

Some things I notice about Gbinije while playing the game (caveat: old highlight type video)

He seems to watch his dribble a lot, which didn't stop him from going right around his high school opponents, but might cause him to lose a lot of balls or fail to penetrate at a higher level. You just don't see a lot of good players look for the ball while dribbling. It is the sort of thing someone might do while playing pickup basketball. It is really weird to see this problem during a highlight package for a top recruit.

Gbinije's jump shot seems to come off very low and very slow. He is tall and has good jumping ability, but has a methodical shot at times. Other times he gets very high on his jump shot. I wonder if this is evolution of his skills or situational. Even with a slow jump shot, hitting open shots is a huge talent in any level of basketball.

He seems to have a pretty good knack for starting a break on loose balls. He might be deadly on top of our zone, with his quick feet and hands. Powerful finisher on the break, but tends to complain about phantom fouls even after his made baskets. (Yikes, one of the more annoying behaviors, imo)

A lot of his physical talents seem very good but not stellar for college.

He seems like a project sort, hopefully if he does come to Syracuse he will have shown serious progress from the coaching he will have received by the time he plays for us.

I have no info on whether Gbinije will come here or not, but I have seen him play before and I do think he can fill a role that our team is lacking.

For the past three years Syracuse has been probably the best transition team in the country. Last year Waiters was the guy leaking out to finish in transition. The two years before Joseph held that role. I liked the way the zone and our rebounding looked with a guard leaking out into transition, but either way Syracuse is losing two of the best transition players in the country and there is no obvious replacement on the roster for them.

I will be curious too see who the designated transition guy will be, the most likely candidates are Triche, Southerland and Fair. All three are a step down from what we had. I believe Gbinije would be very well suited to play that athletic guard who leaks out and finishes in transition. We have a need for that kind of player. So, I hope we get him.

I have no info on whether Gbinije will come here or not, but I have seen him play before and I do think he can fill a role that our team is lacking.

For the past three years Syracuse has been probably the best transition team in the country. Last year Waiters was the guy leaking out to finish in transition. The two years before Joseph held that role. I liked the way the zone and our rebounding looked with a guard leaking out into transition, but either way Syracuse is losing two of the best transition players in the country and there is no obvious replacement on the roster for them.

I will be curious too see who the designated transition guy will be, the most likely candidates are Triche, Southerland and Fair. All three are a step down from what we had. I believe Gbinije would be very well suited to play that athletic guard who leaks out and finishes in transition. We have a need for that kind of player. So, I hope we get him.

Maybe not this coming year, but Grant seems suited for that role as well.

Duke and WF just come off so much better on that list with 'No restrictions' next to their name.

Maybe not this coming year, but Grant seems suited for that role as well.
I'm thinking Trevor Cooney, actually. He's capable of the pull up 3 and can throw down with authority. He's a lot more athletic than most people will give him credit for at first glance.