Gbinije has been awful in ACC play. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije has been awful in ACC play.

it's ok if 1 of them isn't shooting if that 1 guy would stop shooting

gbinije has shot 26 three pointers in three games.

we don't need him shooting 9 threes a game

Normally I would agree with that, but with no low-post presence and no effective drivers, this team is severely limited on offense. I'd rather have G shooting 9 threes a game if they are mostly open versus turnovers or extremely low-percentage/contested two point shots.

it's ok if 1 of them isn't shooting if that 1 guy would stop shooting

gbinije has shot 26 three pointers in three games.

we don't need him shooting 9 threes a game
People were saying much the same thing about Cooney and Richardson not long ago. I think you have to let him shoot his way out of it. This team's shots have to come from somewhere, and it doesn't look like they'll be coming from the bigs on a consistent basis this season.

No. Gbinije has always been versatile, but he's been forced to back up a guard spot due to poor backcourt depth on the roster of the team's he's been on. His first year [redshirt], we had MCW, Triche, and Cooney as the only guards. So in practice, he had to play in the backcourt just so we could run a legitimate two squad practice. The next season, we only had Ennis and Cooney and no other guards, so G had to spell both in games.

After Ennis left early, last season we only had Cooney / Joseph, so again Gbinije had to play a ton of backcourt minutes.

Basically, what we're seeing now is what I feared from the beginning about him being a full-time lead guard. I'm not suggesting he CAN'T play there a bit, but the facilitation / playmaking suffers, and it detracts from what he does best [i.e., attacking the basket and scoring]. I wish he had less responsibility on his plate so he could focus exclusively on putting the ball in the basket.

Good post. Right. He was spelling Ennis/Cooney. Agreed on the last paragraph for sure. It's just a shame that so many players are having to play out of position. Playing their natural roles with joining a dependable PG and C, guys like Mali, Silent G, Lydon would be quite formidable and this team would be dangerous.

Familiar G haters are out in full force. He is so awful in ACC play, he is only averaging 14.0 points and 4.8 assists per game despite being double-teamed and forced to give up the ball or take forced shots at times when the clock is running out. He is such a terrible PG that he is only 5th in assists in ACC play. Lets send him back to Duke because he is worthless.

ACC Conference Games Assist/Game Leaders:
Demetrius Jackson 7.02
James Robinson 6.03
Jamel Artis 5.34
Bryant Crawford 5.05
Michael Gbinije 4.8
Jordan Roper 4.8
Anthony Barber 4.3
Joel Berry II 4.0
Marcus Paige 4.0
Grayson Allen 4.0
Marcus Georges-Hunt 4.0
Xavier Rathan-Mayes 4.0

I am looking forward to your (silent) comments when he starts to pick it up again.

http://www.theacc.com/page/team-stats-m-baskbl-stat-crew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom