Gbinijie | Syracusefan.com

Gbinijie

Rage4CUSE

2018-19 Iggy Hoops NCAA Tourney Record
Had a great game today, but he should have held onto the ball and took the last shot of the game. Even if he held onto the ball and had a hand in his face challenging the 3, that would have been just as hard as the spinning lay up 10 ft away from the rim that he tried.

Hard to criticize Mike. I agree, would like to have seen us try a 3 in that situation.

Going to the basket was a horrible decision considering (1) the time, (2) UNC is a good FT shooting team, and (3 - most of all) the fact that UNC has multiple athletic 7-footers who can block (or at least alter) shots with ease.

Had a great game today, but he should have held onto the ball and took the last shot of the game. Even if he held onto the ball and had a hand in his face challenging the 3, that would have been just as hard as the spinning lay up 10 ft away from the rim that he tried.

I agree with you that he should have pulled up for a three in that scenario, but I have trouble agreeing that he had a great game. He had 7 turnovers, some of which were absolutely miserable.

Unless if you felt the right call was beating them down the floor, not sure why a timeout wasn't called at the end. I mean, you do give UNC a chance to gather themselves but you get the play you want. That or take the three.

I agree with you that he should have pulled up for a three in that scenario, but I have trouble agreeing that he had a great game. He had 7 turnovers, some of which were absolutely miserable.

the two in a row were so odd. absolutely threw the ball away twice in a row.

and I really wish he could throw an alley oop properly. Cost Roberson two dunks and 2 points.

No, that was the right play, hindsight is 20/20. If he makes that layup (which he does most of the time), we're down 1 with 10 seconds left. Make UNC shoot FTs, hope they miss 1, then go for the win with 8 seconds left.

We were gassed, we would have been blown out in OT.

I wouldn't call it a great game. 3 quarters of that game was terrible for him. At one point he had 7 points and 7 turnovers. He finished great but he was one of the reasons we were so far down. But he was also the reason we fought our way back in.

Going to the hoop in that situation is a good move when the opponent is contesting the three so emphatically that you can basically get an uncontested lay up

Mike had some maddening TO's though. Those back to back awful/lazy passes in the 1st half were killers. But that and-1 put back over Pinson I think single handily changed the energy of the game, he hit some big shots; that 3 over Paige was big time.

Just get us to March -- G is the type of dude that can go insane for 3-4 games and lead us to a regional final by himself.

He sort of got supercharged at the end and got us right back in it, but then I think he tried to hard to win it on his own and we didn't get good possessions because of it. Still I'm proud of him.

No issue with the two - other than the execution.

I would have gone for three personally, or at least preferred it, but I don't think it was an error (or at least that either side of the debate is wrong).

Wish I had recorded the game - it would be nice to see it again to see where everyone else was. I was kind of expecting a pass to open up after the spin, then nobody but the UNC defender underneath and never saw if anyone was open spotting up.

EastCoast2 said:
Easier said than done. He was on the move and thought he had enough space to go up strong and absorb contact for an and-1.
And it nearly happened!

We're going to miss him dearly, more than most can imagine. As good as Battle may be, he won't be Gninije.

Richardson and Lydon will step up. G has had a very good season, but I'll take a better constructed team...which I think we'll have next season, assuming no unexpected departures.

pfister1 said:
Richardson and Lydon will step up. G has had a very good season, but I'll take a better constructed team...which I think we'll have next season, assuming no unexpected departures.

The game is guard driven. We'll be as good as Battle is next year.

The game is guard driven. We'll be as good as Battle is next year.
Howard when he chooses to be aggressive is actually solid offensively -- the kid can score, and the leash will be off him next year. Mali/Tyus/Howard playing guard next year will be deadly.Lydon/Robey at the wings with Moyer backing them up then PC/DC at the 5. We will be more balanced and well rounded next year and will be better on the glass. I love G, but next year's team (if TR and DC come back) will be better. Honestly Battle and Richardson could be one of the best backcourts in the country next year.

Howard when he chooses to be aggressive is actually solid offensively -- the kid can score, and the leash will be off him next year. Mali/Tyus/Howard playing guard next year will be deadly.Lydon/Robey at the wings with Moyer backing them up then PC/DC at the 5. We will be more balanced and well rounded next year and will be better on the glass. I love G, but next year's team (if TR and DC come back) will be better. Honestly Battle and Richardson could be one of the best backcourts in the country next year.

Absolutely. Next season's backcourt will be an upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom