Gbinijie | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gbinijie

jdubs30 said:
Honestly Battle and Richardson could be one of the best backcourts in the country next year.
Let's check ourselves a little on the Battle hype. I've seen him play. He's a very good high school guard, but he's not likely to come in and be a game-changer. I think our back court next year will be a little step down from this year, but I expect our front line to be much improved summing up to a stronger team. As long as everyone comes back and qualifies.

I agree with you that he should have pulled up for a three in that scenario, but I have trouble agreeing that he had a great game. He had 7 turnovers, some of which were absolutely miserable.

7-7 is a strange assist to turnover ratio. Here's Mike line tonight:

39M 17P 3R 7A 0S 0B = 27+ 10MFG 1MFT 7To 3PF = 21- = 6NP 6OE 0FG

dollarbill44 said:
Let's check ourselves a little on the Battle hype. I've seen him play. He's a very good high school guard, but he's not likely to come in and be a game-changer. I think our back court next year will be a little step down from this year, but I expect our front line to be much improved summing up to a stronger team. As long as everyone comes back and qualifies.

Thank you. Someone with some common sense.

I prefer the unheralded frosh that underpromise and over deliver...like Moten, Lydon...Ill never believe another recruit hype pitch after the Paul Harris debacle. People were basically guaranteeing that this dude was going to roll in here and lead us to multiple championships from day one.

A few things: Mal needs to learn how to play D at the top of the zone. Work in progress.

Battle will be a freshman, Gbinije is a fifth year senior.

Just saying.

It's not a one for one trade. Frankie will have another year of experience and will be even more reliable next season. We have the potential to have a very strong 3 guard rotation next season. We will also most certainly be stronger upfront as we return everyone and add Chuckwu and Moyer to the mix. Gbinije won't be replaced by any one player's production, but I am betting the sum of the whole will be greater than the parts.

Why do some think Battle has to be better than Gbinije in order for next year's team to be better?
We lost Rak coming into this year with DC and Obokoh as the only 5's on the roster. But this team is better.

You're right, losing G/Cooney doesn't mean we will be better, it's the abundance of development of the young guys and brining in 2 top 50 recruits.

I don't mind the drive but the degree of difficulty (spin with a left handed shot off the glass) was not ideal. I would have preferred commitment straight to the rim but you ride your horse. No real complaint.

I don't mind the drive but the degree of difficulty (spin with a left handed shot off the glass) was not ideal. I would have preferred commitment straight to the rim but you ride your horse. No real complaint.

Honestly, the fact so many offensive fouls were called on us might have been in his head.

Honestly, the fact so many offensive fouls were called on us might have been in his head.
I wish that was in his head before he decided to drive to the rim.

It's not a one for one trade. Frankie will have another year of experience and will be even more reliable next season. We have the potential to have a very strong 3 guard rotation next season. We will also most certainly be stronger upfront as we return everyone and add Chuckwu and Moyer to the mix. Gbinije won't be replaced by any one player's production, but I am betting the sum of the whole will be greater than the parts.

Yeah, I think people's standards have gotten a little low. (If Scoop or Triche had gone one-on-three and taken an off-hand flip shot from several feet out in that game situation, this board would have lost its collective mind.)

It's fair to say that our guards will be worse defenders, but the team will benefit from having players who can take the ball from 20 feet and get to the rim, kids who are good finishers, kids who have the hoops-savvy of a ballhandler and distributor.

If anything, it's nice that people are cautious about the transition, because I think they'll wind up pleasantly surprised.

Normally I would go for the 2 in that situation, but this team has no finishers at the rim. Their 2 point FG percentage is 47%, good for 235th nationally. I'd be more confident in a pull-up 3 from G or a drive and dish back to a trailing Lydon or Mal for 3 than G driving around a defender and finishing over a 7-footer.

I wouldn't call G's game "great" last night. First half, loads of turnovers and 2 push-off offensive fouls. What I see in G is a superior NBA caliber athlete who wants to jump over people in the lane and who will get called for two Charges a game because of that. He can be streaky good from the perimeter but this FT shooting thing is puzzling. I mean, last night one of his FT's hit the backboard before the rim. That is not acceptable at this level, and could kill his career, not to mention cost us at the end of a tournament game.. You gotta be 75% from the line, at least.

I wouldn't call G's game "great" last night. First half, loads of turnovers and 2 push-off offensive fouls. What I see in G is a superior NBA caliber athlete who wants to jump over people in the lane and who will get called for two Charges a game because of that. He can be streaky good from the perimeter but this FT shooting thing is puzzling. I mean, last night one of his FT's hit the backboard before the rim. That is not acceptable at this level, and could kill his career, not to mention cost us at the end of a tournament game.. You gotta be 75% from the line, at least.

He was 4 for 5 last night, 80%, same as he was in the first UNC game. Over that 14 game stretch, he's 41 for 55 which rounds off to... 75%. :)

Unless if you felt the right call was beating them down the floor, not sure why a timeout wasn't called at the end. I mean, you do give UNC a chance to gather themselves but you get the play you want. That or take the three.
Not trying to be an ass but jb doesn't call time outs in that situation, feels like it's better to play on. right, wrong? heck i don't know, but that's the way he see's it. tough loss

The long arm of warrick, would love to see a highlight reel of his college and nba dunks, remember one putback when he was actually falling away and one-armed tomahawked in kind of a folded position. Don't know the game and do not have the talent to put this together, but hakim was w/o a doubt one of the best college dunkers of all time.

The long arm of warrick, would love to see a highlight reel of his college and nba dunks, remember one putback when he was actually falling away and one-armed tomahawked in kind of a folded position. Don't know the game and do not have the talent to put this together, but hakim was w/o a doubt one of the best college dunkers of all time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom