Gbinijie | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gbinijie

I wish there was another angle of the dunk against Georgetown at the 47 second mark. I was at that game and swear that he took off with his back heel on the free throw line.

Not trying to be an ass but jb doesn't call time outs in that situation, feels like it's better to play on. right, wrong? heck i don't know, but that's the way he see's it. tough loss

You're right about that. In the moment I was wondering why the TO wasn't called. I'm certainly not upset at beating the defense down the floor and taking it to the basket.

Obviously you go to the basket and go down one or tie if you're fouled. Then you give UNC the ball back with the last shot. If you don't get fouled, then you put your faith in UNC's hands at the free throw line. Then you have them missing both and going for the win (which would be great), make 1/2 and you still have to get the two to tie, or make both and go down 3 and you're back in the original situation with less time.

It all comes down to converting the shot in the first place which didn't even happen. Not mad at all at the Silent G shot because he did beat them down the floor. I have faith in JB knowing he could draw something up during the TO. But, you also give UNC time to regroup and get settled.

May have went off track with this post, but at the end of the day we missed the shot to bring us closer to a victory and we need to snag a win on Saturday!

Also something to keep in mind in that situation when going for 2 is that they were in the double bonus. If you make the 2 and foul, it's a bit different scenario knowing they get 2 free throws as opposed to a 1 and 1. Doubt that's all going through Mike's mind though. Like Dicky V likes to say (ad nauseum), "kids just play"...

Somebody should show this to Roberson. And Lydon too.

When you're 6'8" long and bouncy, you THROW IT DOWN over fools whenever possible.
I think young master Moyer has some Hakim nastiness in his game. Can't wait to see it.

Somebody should show this to Roberson. And Lydon too.

When you're 6'8" long and bouncy, you THROW IT DOWN over fools whenever possible.
I think young master Moyer has some Hakim nastiness in his game. Can't wait to see it.

Hakim wasn't your average PF though. He had around 100 dunks in a season. That is silly.

And to think, we could've had Julius Hodge over Hak... Shucks...

Amazing that he was such a late addition. Hakim developed year over year over year. He became a Big East Player of the Year and an All-American when he was really slated as nothing more than an Athlete coming in. Absolute athletic Freak who developed a pretty good post game. Also became deadly from 15-18 ft.

I remember one thunderous dunk in the lane during either his Freshman or Sophomore year in which he rose up in the lane and just through it down with what seemed to be an 8 ft. long arm. So lengthy. I remember thinking that dunk would initially be a floater and then all of a sudden, WHAM, threw it down.

The thing is they had a timeout...they should have set up the offense and attempted to go for three. Not sure why we didn't take it.

I've heard a lot of people saying this. I don't think there is a single coach who calls a timeout in that situation. What would be the point of calling a time out? To draw up a play, right. What is the point of making plays? The point of any play is to get the ball to your best player (or a player with a miss-match) in space. But of course, when you call a time out its not just Syracuse getting the time out. UNC also gets to draw up a plan to prevent us from getting the ball to our best player in space.

In this case, Gbinije already had the ball in space. If Boeheim had called a time out it would have been to maybe accomplish what had already been accomplished in the natural flow of the game. It would have been a terrible time out.

Personally I wish Gbinije had shot a 3, but you have to trust your 5th year senior leader in that situation. He saw and opening and tried to exploit it. He missed. Few shots go in at the end of games. Its always better to have the lead. UNC had about a 70% chance of winning that game no matter what decisions were made by either Boeheim or Gbinije.

I've heard a lot of people saying this. I don't think there is a single coach who calls a timeout in that situation. What would be the point of calling a time out? To draw up a play, right. What is the point of making plays? The point of any play is to get the ball to your best player (or a player with a miss-match) in space. But of course, when you call a time out its not just Syracuse getting the time out. UNC also gets to draw up a plan to prevent us from getting the ball to our best player in space.

In this case, Gbinije already had the ball in space. If Boeheim had called a time out it would have been to maybe accomplish what had already been accomplished in the natural flow of the game. It would have been a terrible time out.

Personally I wish Gbinije had shot a 3, but you have to trust your 5th year senior leader in that situation. He saw and opening and tried to exploit it. He missed. Few shots go in at the end of games. Its always better to have the lead. UNC had about a 70% chance of winning that game no matter what decisions were made by either Boeheim or Gbinije.
Agreed. Calling a timeout is old-school mentality. JB, even back in the day, was ahead of the curve on this and seldom has called TO's in those situations (especially if his best player already has the ball in his hands). Some coaches will still do it, but the trend seems to be let your player make a play...

Hopkins took a time out in the same situation at the end of the Clemson game. Terrible?

Boeheim also did the same to call up a play at the end of regulation in the Wisconsin game (tie score). He prefers not to, but there are also many games in which he's got a young or otherwise untrustworthy point guard and would rather take time and draw up a play than leave the decision-making in the players' hands.

I have no complaint that Boeheim didn't call time, but it's inaccurate to say he (and others) never do so in that situation. (It's also bizarre that everyone's so sanguine about the point guard driving into traffic and taking a low-percentage two with a three-point deficit.)

Hopkins took a time out in the same situation at the end of the Clemson game. Terrible?

Boeheim also did the same to call up a play at the end of regulation in the Wisconsin game (tie score). He prefers not to, but there are also many games in which he's got a young or otherwise untrustworthy point guard and would rather take time and draw up a play than leave the decision-making in the players' hands.

I have no complaint that Boeheim didn't call time, but it's inaccurate to say he (and others) never do so in that situation. (It's also bizarre that everyone's so sanguine about the point guard driving into traffic and taking a low-percentage two with a three-point deficit.)

Honestly, I would have to watch the Clemson game again to what happened in that situation because I don't remember the details, but I do remember the Wisconsin game (that loss still bothers me more than any of the others) and the situation does not resemble the UNC game at all.

Against UNC we needed points and our best player had the ball with some space so there is nothing Boeheim could have done to improve on that situation.

Against Wisconsin the game was tied with something like 15 second left. Boeheim needed to balance the need to score with the need to prevent Wisconsin from getting a good shot at the other end in the event we missed. It makes sense that he could have helped the team by drawing up a play that more or less should take the correct amount of time to give us a chance of winning while not giving Wisconsin a chance to win.

Long story short, there was something Boeheim could do during the time out to help his team against Wisconsin and there was nothing he could have done to help his team against UNC.

For the record, I am with you. I think taking the ball to the hoop was the right wrong move, but I bet if pressed Gbinije would tell you that he was having an off shooting night from 3 and seeing a lot of success driving to the basket (and he wouldn't be wrong about that).

The truth is winning was a long shot no matter what happened. Any important strategy change needed to come before then. You want to be UNC in that situation every time.

Long story short, there was something Boeheim could do during the time out to help his team against Wisconsin and there was nothing he could have done to help his team against UNC.

True, big difference between a tie game and a deficit.

For that matter, there is (or there should be) a difference in the coaching needed in a December game and an eve of March game. You'd expect the kids to have gotten wiser and the coach to have gotten looser in the last few months. No timeout - good move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom