Geez, not sure what to say. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Geez, not sure what to say.

He seems to have become JB's whipping boy, maybe he doesn't have the mental make up to take that beating?
As a 5th year guy, with no nba prospects, he just might not be inclined to take it.

I don't. Our top 5 guys for the most part looked good to me. It was every time we went to the bench. None of them played well. Their defense was just terrible.

Lydon was horrible and that's actually a complement

As a 5th year guy, with no nba prospects, he just might not be inclined to take it.
If you play D1 athletics at the highest possible level, your competitive drive is VERY high. Not only that, but to get that far, you probably had your share of coaches who were yellers/screamers. Gillon is worrying me strictly because of his performance - I think he wants to be here and he wants to win. I'm not worried about losing him mentally, unless the performance itself starts affecting his mindset. AW3, Gillon, PC have all seen JB enough on TV to know his rep and they all chose to come here.

athletic or not - the team we have is going to struggle against UCONN.

At least UCONN has the same problem as we do. They are not getting good play out their bigs. I see them complaining about the same lack of rebounding problem we seem to be facing.

Or he might because he has no where to go. He might still play pro ball somewhere but if he walks away now, his prospects would be dimmer.

Or he might because he has no where to go. He might still play pro ball somewhere but if he walks away now, his prospects would be dimmer.

Wasn't suggesting he 'can't deal with it' or that he might "walk away." Merely suggesting that people have brains that take in a lot of stimuli, and they respond in different ways, and in varying degrees. 'Not inclined to accept a berating' might only mean that he hears it and resents it, and it's then not a constructive thing. Another kid might take it and feel differently about it. Either way, with either kid, it's never a 100% thing one way or the other. They're People. A good friend of mine is playing with a smaller program and has had to deal with 'coach-related issues' for a few years, and it absolutely affects how you play, how you prepare, and how you practice. And, this friend is intelligent and of the highest character.

He seems to have become JB's whipping boy, maybe he doesn't have the mental make up to take that beating?

I was at Barclays and could see that he looked shell shocked, like a deer in headlights as soon as the SC guard started pressing him, and it continued. That performance kind of reminded me of Kaleb when he would come into games last year. He played ok against Wiscy. I think we are going to really need him tomorrow trying to keep up with Adams.

I think we are going to really need him tomorrow trying to keep up with Adams.
not quite sure what you mean with "keep up with" - I mean if we played m2m it would make sense but...

not quite sure what you mean with "keep up with" - I mean if we played m2m it would make sense but...

Need quickness -- Adams is going to be looking to penetrate around and through the perimeter. Has to use his quickness do his best to keep up with and stay in front of him. Not enough to just "stand in front of him" because of the zone.

Need quickness -- Adams is going to be looking to penetrate around and through the perimeter. Has to use his quickness do his best to keep up with and stay in front of him. Not enough to just "stand in front of him" because of the zone.
eh if the top of the zone is playing effectively (Howard/Battle, whomever) it's not a matter of keeping up with - it's sound positioning, energy/activity, and anticipation

SC and Wisconsin aren't Mountain West caliber opponents.
Yeah ok maybe. But it's more than that imo. Monmouth isn't garbage and north Florida is worse than them. He just looks so lost.

Yeah ok maybe. But it's more than that imo. Monmouth isn't garbage and north Florida is worse than them. He just looks so lost.

He has significant limitations related to his height that are exacerbated against bigger, more athletic teams. I pointed out repeatedly that his inability to shoot a JUMP shot was going to be a factor when we played better teams. The bigger defenders can play farther off of him now without worrying that he will shoot a 3 in their face. And his ability to finish against athletic 6'9"+ guys in the paint is A LOT different than it is against 6'6" Colgate players. He's lost because he hasn't consistently seen this level of competition before.

He has significant limitations related to his height that are exacerbated against bigger, more athletic teams. I pointed out repeatedly that his inability to shoot a JUMP shot was going to be a factor when we played better teams. The bigger defenders can play farther off of him now without worrying that he will shoot a 3 in their face. And his ability to finish against athletic 6'9"+ guys in the paint is A LOT different than it is against 6'6" Colgate players. He's lost because he hasn't consistently seen this level of competition before.

I was worried about this, but people said Gillon could adjust and shoot a real jumper.

I remember one time he's deviated from the set shot and tried a jumper. He got it off, but it wasn't close to going in. Not sure if he's abandoned this now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom