Gene Fisch | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gene Fisch

PS: Wasn't it Mike Downey who led Evangelist in the 60s? I knew all the Downeys. Jimmy was a good friend.

PS: For all you Central fans, Eastwood regularly kicked your butts in every sport! I had a lot of friends who went to Central.

Good times.

Pshaw,Pshaw;)

PS: Wasn't it Mike Downey who led Evangelist in the 60s? I knew all the Downeys. Jimmy was a good friend.
Tommy Downey was the point guard on that 65-66 team that was inducted into the Greater Syracuse HOF in 2008. Mike graduated in 1961 and was very good basketball and baseball player. When I was a freshman & Mike was a senior he was the only guy on the team faster than me.

ST. John's 65-66 team Hall of Fame page

OE ... I have to keep this post going until I at least find my yearbook buried somewhere in the cellar. Joe Reddick played for Central ... is he the same who opened Joe Reddick's Sports Bar? and isn't Jesse Dowdell the Ex. Dir of Southwest CommunityCenter?

OE ... I have to keep this post going until I at least find my yearbook buried somewhere in the cellar. Joe Reddick played for Central ... is he the same who opened Joe Reddick's Sports Bar? and isn't Jesse Dowdell the Ex. Dir of Southwest CommunityCenter?
I Played against Joe Reddick/Jimmy Collins Corcoran CNYCL I though Drummond of Central Tech was the best CNYCL Player, Bob Brigard CBA /Dowdells Vocational/Chris Copanus Nottingham to name a few CNYCL er's. I think Joe Reddick Coached at Central Square(Freshman BBALL) a while back or his son.
Wonder if that Drummond was Robert's Father?

Not OE but yes Joe Reddick is the same guy. He's stayed active in the coaching scene too. I know he used to coach at Cazenovia College etc. He has season tickets right near me for football.

OE probably can answer you about Dowdell.

Yup & yup

Joe played in my over 40 league. He & I have golfed together from time to time. He was a real intense competitor on the court. He coached baseball in Auburn.

I played against Gene Fisch in practice games; he for Sacred Heart and me for Eastwood. Sacred Heart was a very good team; they had a fast break that beat all hell. He was and is a great guy. We were fairly good friends and have rediscovered one another on the internet.

No one is more deserving of this honor than Gene.

Not sure if he was the best ever to play in the Parochial League. A teammate of mine at Blessed Sacrament, Bob Kallfelz, was the best shooter I've ever seen. If it hadn't been for a ruined knee when he was a junior, he probably would've broken all the scoring records. There was a kid, Lou Napoliwitz (sp) at Assumption who was very good. Chuck Bisesi, I believe also at Assumption, was also terrific. John Caveny at St. John the Evangelist was very good. I'm really stretching my memory on this one. There were many great ones.
i think chuck bisesi played for st.lucy's. they had the time clock that turned pink in the last minute of the quarter. i could never read the thing. i had two brothers that played for st.pat's, i played in 1966 and 1967.one of my brothers was named to the top 200 hundred players, they have a plate with all their names at the hall of fame---that plate jars some memories. i remember as a kid watching gene practice at burnet park and he taught me how to dribble behind my back . the "dynasty's" i remember were evangilists, hearts and baptists,--my brothers disagree--different era's. i never got to see "the old parochial league memorabilia, at the tavern---would love to see some of it. after all these years i can still see the gyms, smell the locker rooms. my only regret is that i did not get to know many of the opponents until it was over---sooo many shared memories---sooo many good coaches----sooo many good guys and gals

I have some treasures in the form of articles that go back to the 40's. I also have SU programs that date back to the early 50's. Now if I can find out where my wife is hiding them. It's always convenient to blame the wife.;)

I went to one of those parochial league schools, Rosary. In fact our school played Bishop Ludden's Green Machine team for the city/county/parochial League championship at the old War Memorial. Our center was all of 6' and a half inch tall but all those kids lived and breathed basketball.

I worked with Lou Nelipowitz at the Northside CYO and BFDC Camp for a number years. He did play for Assumption and graduated about 1957. He told me he got some heat from the Polish community for playing for his neighborhood school, Assumption over Sacred Heart. Unfortunately he passed away way too young in his early 50's almost 20 years ago.

As Orangeyes alluded to St John the Evangelists' had a phenomenal team around the middle 60's. They were special and I think a small extremely talented player named Downey led them.
Sacred Heart, mostly of Polish descent, always had excellent teams when I was in school and always seemed to have the tallest players. St Pat's, St John the Baptists (Satalin brothers), St Anthony's, St Vincent's, Cathedral, St Lucy's, Most Holy Rosary, Evangelist, Assumption and Sacred Heart made up the Parochial League as I recall. The only team that could claim it was from the East side was St Vincents' since most of the teams were centered in the West, south and North sides.

The gyms themselves could be the subject of a book. Many like the St Pat's and St John the Baptists gyms served double duty as auditoriums and gyms. At both these small gyms folding chairs would fill the stages. Some didn't even have usable gyms to play in for extended periods of time having to play/practice in rented gyms or grammar school venues. Rosary played in other venues from 1947 to almost 1960 after its gym burned down. St Vincent's gym was condemned but continued fielding good teams while having to play and practice elsewhere also. Those bandbox home gyms were filled to more than capacity every Friday. Even at our new large gym in the 1960's , you had to get there early enough with your dollar in hand to get a seat. It is was a phenomenal league where simplicity, fundamentals, fanatic school spirit and team play was the rule.

The league deserves a book, it used to have a bar on Burnet for years owned by a Rosary grad(Parochial League bar whose walls were filled with parochial school memorabilia), nice time for a literary tribute.
the satlins started out at st.pats, moved to the northside later--both jim and franny played at st.pats--lost the grammer school league championship to st. lucy's ---i think---

As a pollock that grew up on Tip Hill i knew a lot of kids in the Parochial League. A lad went to Cathedral and he kept on boasting to all of us that he had Roger Maris's bat and Mickey Mantle's uniform. I never believed him but others who went to St. Pats said that he showed them to them. Apparently his father had press credentials. Anyway I am watching the Cleveland Browns win a championship game on TV (only three channels back then) and a celebration going on. All of a sudden I see the kid in the background with all the players. Next day I read in the paper that the Brown's QB (Ryan?) was upset that someone took the gameball! A few days later a Syracuse cop who apparently new the kid returned the ball back to the Browns.

Roll the clock forward many years and I saw an article in the Syracuse paper about a local man who did some daring picture taking of celebrities. Apparently when Gorbachov(sp?) was visiting the US he crashed security to take his picture. He was lucky he wasn't shot. Yup, it was the kid from Cathedral.
he lived on bryant ave in tipphill---i don't know if the gorbachov story is true, but the rest of it is

As a kid growing up in the Parochial league I was just as fanatic about basketball as I am now. In grammar school and high school I was lucky enough to witness some of the greatest games, players and coaches to grace Central New York's gymnasium's.

At one point, a few years ago I was even going to write a book on the league. I knew my best resources were near the end of the their lives and I would have to interview them while they were still here and of sound mind. I wasn't going to do this for any monetary gain, goodness knows this project would probably lose money. No, I would do this as a service to the community, a way of saying thank you to an era that was truly glorious and unique. To preserve the memories of several generations and maybe put together a shrine to the people who made so many happy moments for so many people growing up in and around it.

If you are too young to remember the Parochial League or if you have never heard of it you were my intended audience. The book would serve as a reference and guide to an era of tiny gyms, and David versus Goliath encounters that were staged at the War Memorial between the Champions of the Parochial League and the City League. The Parochial League was always David and many times they overcame their big city brothers.

9596770-large.jpg

Most of the makeup of the Parochial league teams were of neighborhood kids of similar ethnic backgrounds. Sacred Heart was mostly the "Polocks", St. Pat's the "Irishmen" and Assumption the "Italian's".

9727637-large.jpg

Some schools like mine, St. John The Evangelist, were comprised of hybrids, as kids like me who had no nearby Catholic Church, migrated downtown. We also were the destination for most of the Eastwood kids who graduated from Blessed Sacrament some six miles away.

Gene Fisch was perhaps the greatest player to have played in the Parochial league. I remember seeing him up close and noticing that the skin on his face didn't look normal in spots. I learned that he had been in a prisoner of war camp in Poland during the Russian takeover and was scalded with hot water by his communist captors. Whether or not that story was true I have no way of knowing but everyone knew that story and we all believed it.

I never did do the book, as I was told by the Onondaga Historical Society that someone was already in the process of doing that history. A few years later I checked back to see if and when the book was going to be published. I tracked the author to Chicago. To my dismay I learned that the book was going to cover the Bishop Ludden era forward. That era came sometime after the Parochial League's demise.

o186709felasc_20100415.jpg

Bob Felasco, coach at St. John the Evangelist and a former Orangeman basketball player as well as Greater Syracuse HOF inductee who passed away last year

There is still a book to be written but some of the main resources have since died. Below is the Hall of Fame bio of Gene Fisch, Geno as we called him. Regrettably, it doesn't even scratch the surface of his greatness as seen through the eyes of the child that I was. "Geno" will be inducted into the Greater Syracuse Hall of Fame tomorrow right along with Syracuse greats, Chris Gedney, John Cherundolo and Bernie Fine. I just thought I should let you know a little bit more about him and that bygone era that holds so many sweet memories for those of us who lived it.

Congratulations Gene and and thanks for the memories of a lifetime.

Gene Fisch Hall of Fame Bio

Was he the greatest basketball player in Parochial League history? That question can be debated but never answered to the satisfaction of all. But, Gene Fisch's ball-handling wizardry was legendary. In 1959, and only a sophomore, Fisch, along with senior Dick Pospiech, led Adam Markowski's Sacred Heart team to its first Parochial League championship and an unblemished 21-0 record. The next two seasons Fisch led the Hearts to two regular season titles and one playoff crown. He was the league's leading scorer despite not even measuring six foot tall. He was rated the best player, pound for pound, during his time in the Parochial League. Fisch went on to play collegiately at New York University.
Nice thread OE. I am a little too young to have seen any Parochial League games...the closest I have seen are the games against CBA and Ludden.

I went to St Vincent's and know that gym well (they closed the high school there the year before I would have entered it). It was really small, had almost no room past the end lines (you either ran into an unpadded wall on one end or the stage on the other). Very little room for fans on the sides of the gym...I assume the stage was were most fans sat.

The most distinctive thing about that gym though was the low ceiling. Ridiculously low ceilings. You had to adjust the arc of your jumper if it was more than 14 or 15 feet...or it would hit the ceiling, the light fixtures, or the various and sundry other things that hung from it.

By the mid 1970s I believe Assumption was playing on a gym with a tile floor, like you would find in a bathroom or maybe a cafeteria. It looked like it was their cafeteria. They didn't play real games against other high schools on that, did they?

Lastly, I recommend checking out thiss story and video Sean Kirst made last year to welcome visitors to Syracuse for the NCAA tournament. He was trying to find a way to show people the connection the Syracuse community has with basketball, and decided to film it at one of the old PL gyms. You can get a brief glimse at the gym at St Patrick's.

I recommend also reading the story that accompanies the video. It is about two of the players on the 1917-18 SU National Championship basketball team (OE recently posted about that team as well, so we have some serious OE dovetail action going on). He lived to be 99 or 100 years old, long enough to tell Sean a great story about that team. Note that the infamous game SU played against Penn, which Penn upset Syracuse, was the driving force behind a major rule change, where the person fouled has to shoot the foul shots (no designated free throw shooter).

Link

Tomcat wrote:

"The most distinctive thing about that gym though was the low ceiling. Ridiculously low ceilings. You had to adjust the arc of your jumper if it was more than 14 or 15 feet...or it would hit the ceiling, the light fixtures, or the various and sundry other things that hung from it."

I had the distinction of hitting every ceiling or light cage in the parochial league, so I have that going for me, which is kind of nice.

i looked at the link, the small rectangular windows behind the backboard at st.pats were used as a projection room where a movies were occaisionally shown from. ---yes the tile floor eluded to at assumption did exist and we did play on it---the one gym that stood out in my mind was st. anthony's(i think)-----it was a pit, and the crowd sat up in a gallery and the court was below it. also, when sacred heart built their parish center, i thought it was huge. i believe some old stars from the parochial league played an exhibition game against st. bonaventure (tom stith@company) at sacred hearts court one year.

Tommy Downey was the point guard on that 65-66 team that was inducted into the Greater Syracuse HOF in 2008. Mike graduated in 1961 and was very good basketball and baseball player. When I was a freshman & Mike was a senior he was the only guy on the team faster than me.

ST. John's 65-66 team Hall of Fame page
Thanks, Eyes. Tommy was a little kid when we used to play on the Blessed Sacrament outdoor courts.

Tomcat wrote:

"The most distinctive thing about that gym though was the low ceiling. Ridiculously low ceilings. You had to adjust the arc of your jumper if it was more than 14 or 15 feet...or it would hit the ceiling, the light fixtures, or the various and sundry other things that hung from it."

I had the distinction of hitting every ceiling or light cage in the parochial league, so I have that going for me, which is kind of nice.

I played for a rec team with a number of St Pat's grads and we practiced there for years (till about 2002). The ceilings were low (but not as low as St Vincents which also had poles to the roof on it -painful screen/pick) but funniest was when you ran really hard and had trouble stopping yourself, you'd either run into the stage at one end or hopefully jump up onto the stage because of momentum. At the other end of the gym, you'd run into a door or as I saw many times, run violently push the door open and hopefully slowing down on the landing before tumbling down th stairs. It always made me laugh when someone would get a fastbreak and disappear through the door or have to jump up on the stage. Makeup speed was necessary to ensure the opponent didn't take advantage. There were well known dead spots on the floor and a useful skill was knowing where they were and luring your opponent on offense into one of them.

Tom, you're right Assumption did have tile on the floor and to reach it fans had to climb up this long thin set of stairs because it was on an upper floor also. St Vincent's gym was condemned while I was in high school and they played their games at Henninger at ungodly times because they were of course on the bottom of the totem pole for gym use and practice. My son played for St Pat's CYO and they still played St Vincent's at St Vincent's in the early 2000's. Amazing. St Anthony's had a balcony. St John the Baptists had a stage much like St Pat's. Evangelist, Vincent's and I think Cathedral all had to travel because their home gyms didn't even match up to the bandboxes anymore when I was in high school. I can't remember Lucy's gym but I think it was accessible from the ground floor. I remember Eli Moses and his brothers , huge seemingly older American-Indians who starred for them when I was an underclassmen but what the gym looked like escapes me. Hearts and Rosary who finally rebuilt their gym around 1959 had the newest, biggest gyms set in attached "parish centers" on an upper floor.

Times have changed for sure. Now kids and their parents think their child is underprivileged if they don't have turf, athletic centers, weight rooms, traveling year round AAU teams, expensive uniforms etc. It just doesn't seem too long ago all it took was a ball, a basket, converse sneaks, not much more than a t-shirt and duo/triple use type gyms if any at all, to motivate kids. It was a definite upgrade to the weather, netless baskets etc and the conditions they endured at the city parks or the neighborhood garage for hours on end.

There was great coaching like Coach Ewanychek for Hearts(sorry about the spelling), Bob Hayes for St Pat's, Coach Hassett, Roche and Rose for Rosary, Coach Satalin for Baptists, Coach Felasco for Evangelist, Cathedral and then CBA I think etc. Funny even the infamous ref, Froggy Paparo coached MHR's JV team in the 70's. The CYO parish coaches were also very good. Jerry Wilcox coached at St Bridgit's CYO for 15 years before he coached at Ludden, then West Genesee and Liverpool. Mike Kitts played at St Anthony's and later started his reffing in the womens' game in city rec.

cheri--lucys was a free standing gym across the street from the church it was street level--some of the coaches you mention are still around and i bet have a wealth of historical information. many of them played in the parochial league as well before coaching. i played for bobby hayes at pats---what a great guy. epitomized tipp hill.

The old Parochial League "experts" will probably tell you the best player was either Gene Fisch or Bob Kallfelz, although Billy Jones from Evangelist and "Prosser" from Hearts would also get votes. Here are some other names of players from the early 60's: John Riley- Baptists, "Pee Wee" Klimaszewski, Jody Markowski and Len Banach- Hearts, Dick Martyns and Jim Kincaid- Anthony's, Jim Carno- Assumption, Bernie Lampe, "Monk" D'Agata and Bob Hughes- St. V's, Rich Como- Evangelist, Dick Wheeler, "Butch" Driscoll and Gary DeYulia- St. Pat's, Bill Schmidt- Rosary, The Morgillo brothers- Cathedral, "Tookie" Chisholm- St. Lucy's. Probably the best "pure Shooter" to play in the Parochial League was the CBA transfer, Bob Bregard, who played only about 10 games for St. Lucy's during the '64-'65 season and averaged about 30 per game.

The old Parochial League "experts" will probably tell you the best player was either Gene Fisch or Bob Kallfelz, although Billy Jones from Evangelist and "Prosser" from Hearts would also get votes. Here are some other names of players from the early 60's: John Riley- Baptists, "Pee Wee" Klimaszewski, Jody Markowski and Len Banach- Hearts, Dick Martyns and Jim Kincaid- Anthony's, Jim Carno- Assumption, Bernie Lampe, "Monk" D'Agata and Bob Hughes- St. V's, Rich Como- Evangelist, Dick Wheeler, "Butch" Driscoll and Gary DeYulia- St. Pat's, Bill Schmidt- Rosary, The Morgillo brothers- Cathedral, "Tookie" Chisholm- St. Lucy's. Probably the best "pure Shooter" to play in the Parochial League was the CBA transfer, Bob Bregard, who played only about 10 games for St. Lucy's during the '64-'65 season and averaged about 30 per game.

Thanks for that list, it really jogged some memories

First I would like to correct one mistake I made earlier in this thread. I said Tommy Carfagno of Assumption I believe I meant Jim Carno who died in 1982 around the age of 35. As I recall he wore thick glasses, had curly hair and looked anything but the super star that he was.

John Riley was a heart throb of the parochial school girls. Blonde hair, blue eyes, babyface great two sport athlete. Johnny excelled as a point guard/scorer and a shortstop/pitcher in baseball. He was super quick and a great ball handler. I had the good fortune to play with him in the Central New York Baseball league the summer I graduated from high school. Tragically Johnny was shot to death in Rochester in a case of mistaken identity. He was in his late twenties.

Ricky Como headed west to Las Vegas where he got involved. Handsome guy who the girls followed around like Elvis. Wore his hair in a "DA", which was short for the Ducktail, it was slick black and adorned with a spit curl in the front. Rick wasn't as good as some of the others mentioned, he didn't have much of a handle.

Butch Driscoll, if I have the right guy, was a fireman who died in his sleep. Most of the parochial teams had two superstars, at Saint Pat's it was Wheeler & Driscoll. I think he was the father of Gallagher and Pat the referee and brother of Matt the mayor.

Bernie Lampe was a 6-10 center who was very awkward. It was said the cheerleaders used to work with him on coordination. He left the Syracuse area after his junior year. I recall hearing that he died young.

Another tall player was Gary Canino from Baptist he stood close to 6-6 and had a huge wing span. One of his teammates was John Vavonese a short guard about 5"5". Together they looked like Mutt & Jeff.

I played Pop Warner football with Clem Morgillo for St Peter's. Last I knew Clem was an Opthamologist on Erie Blvd.

One other player from that era was Andy Dombrowski from St. Lucy's, he was a prolific scorer. We were teammates in the General Electric League.

Fran Cooney was another star from Assumption. Part of that early German connection at that school was Fritz(y) Hollenback.

Butch Driscoll was Gallagher and Pat's father. He was Matt the Mayor's uncle. Matt's father and Butch were brothers.

Thanks for that list, it really jogged some memories

First I would like to correct one mistake I made earlier in this thread. I said Tommy Carfagno of Assumption I believe I meant Jim Carno who died in 1982 around the age of 35. As I recall he wore thick glasses, had curly hair and looked anything but the super star that he was.

John Riley was a heart throb of the parochial school girls. Blonde hair, blue eyes, babyface great two sport athlete. Johnny excelled as a point guard/scorer and a shortstop/pitcher in baseball. He was super quick and a great ball handler. I had the good fortune to play with him in the Central New York Baseball league the summer I graduated from high school. Tragically Johnny was shot to death in Rochester in a case of mistaken identity. He was in his late twenties.

Ricky Como headed west to Las Vegas where he got involved. Handsome guy who the girls followed around like Elvis. Wore his hair in a "DA", which was short for the Ducktail, it was slick black and adorned with a spit curl in the front. Rick wasn't as good as some of the others mentioned, he didn't have much of a handle.

Butch Driscoll, if I have the right guy, was a fireman who died in his sleep. Most of the parochial teams had two superstars, at Saint Pat's it was Wheeler & Driscoll. I think he was the father of Gallagher and Pat the referee and brother of Matt the mayor.

Bernie Lampe was a 6-10 center who was very awkward. It was said the cheerleaders used to work with him on coordination. He left the Syracuse area after his junior year. I recall hearing that he died young.

Another tall player was Gary Canino from Baptist he stood close to 6-6 and had a huge wing span. One of his teammates was John Vavonese a short guard about 5"5". Together they looked like Mutt & Jeff.

I played Pop Warner football with Clem Morgillo for St Peter's. Last I knew Clem was an Opthamologist on Erie Blvd.

One other player from that era was Andy Dombrowski from St. Lucy's, he was a prolific scorer. We were teammates in the General Electric League.

Fran Cooney was another star from Assumption. Part of that early German connection at that school was Fritz(y) Hollenback.
Ricky Como headed west to Las Vegas where he got involved.
This sentence has me intrigued. What does it mean?

goodfellas1_group.jpg

Hey OE ... as i was thinking (dusting off the rust, etc) wasn't there actually 3 leagues at that time ... the Parochial League, the City League, and the County League. I can remember playing all the city schools (I believe 2x) but never a school outside the city (other than CBA). We didn't have the "divisions" then ... just the 3 leagues as I recall.

Hey OE ... as i was thinking (dusting off the rust, etc) wasn't there actually 3 leagues at that time ... the Parochial League, the City League, and the County League. I can remember playing all the city schools (I believe 2x) but never a school outside the city (other than CBA). We didn't have the "divisions" then ... just the 3 leagues as I recall.

Yes there was. There wasn't much out of league play for the parochial league since they had 9 teams and they played twice a year if I recall, so it was a 16 game season. There were only 4 or 5 city teams so maybe they played the county during regular seasons to have a full season. I think the city usually won their contests against the county.

We played a non-league game(MHR) against West Genesee when I was a senior (we beat them handily- their star player I think was named Lafex). If I recall the city/county rep would play the parochial league winner, I think (I'm definitely not positive). You are right though the final was called the City/County/Parochial League Championship game.

Again you are right, OE would probably remember better than I do.

There actually were 10 teams in the Parochial League and you played 8 teams "home and home" and the 9th team once as the last game of the season so the season was 17 games. The County League was not involved in any "championship" other than its own. The City League Champion played the Parochial League Playoff Champion in the City/Parochial League Championship at the War Memorial. Also, the Parochial League Playoff Champion played in the Diocesian Championship usually against Utica Notre Dame. The great Evangelist teams of '64-'65 and '65-66 went 39-1 through the league, the playoffs and the City/Parochial league games and their only loss was by 1 point at Baptist on a last second half court shot by Jim Grooms. They beat Nottingham in '65 and Corcoran, with Joe Reddick, Jimmy Collins, Howie Harlow, etc. in'66. They did, however, lose twice to Utica Notre Dame in the Diocesian Championship. Also, OE, I think it was Andy Dobreski from Rosary, not Andy Dombrowski from Lucy's, or maybe not.

Phew after the dust and dirt I can't believe I kept my old yearbook ... But first to set the record sttraight:
PS: For all you Central fans, Eastwood regularly kicked your butts in every sport! I had a lot of friends who went to Central.

We kicked Eastwood's butt in basketball ... in fact we won every game that year (not mentioning which year of course) losing only to CBA and Cortland.

It seems that we played Oswego, Fulton, and Cortland ... in answer to the City vs. County League thing both in football and basketball. I should footnote that we lost every football game and only scored in one. Like I said, great basketball ... crappy football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom