Gene Fisch | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gene Fisch

Also, OE, I think it was Andy Dobreski from Rosary, not Andy Dombrowski from Lucy's, or maybe not.

We had an Andy Dobreski who played for us at Central

I think it was Bob Dobreski at Central and Andy at Rosary, or maybe not. Andy was older. Also, I think the City League in the late 50's, early 60's was Central Tech, Nottingham, North and Eastwood( before Henninger), Valley and Vocational (before Corcoran), CBA and Cortland, who had a great running back named Chuck Freeman. I'm not sure, but Fulton and Oswego may have also been in the City League at that time.

It was Andy at Central ... I knew him and probably Bob at Rosary ... they were from the West side. IIt seems that Fulton and Oswego, especially Fulton must have been consiidered part of the City League bb/c we played them every year in football (I should say we showed up in football) and basketball. CBA was definitely part of the City League (that was before Ludden and Grimes). Valley closed for Corcoran ... Vocational for Fowler, and Central for Henninger (where the Reddicks played ball). I think got that about right.

Phew after the dust and dirt I can't believe I kept my old yearbook ... But first to set the record sttraight:
many ofyou may already know this but you can subscribe to syracuse.com archives.you can go back and look at the original articles of games(or any news)complete with the box sxores. i read some today about gene fisch. but i also read many others. i evn checked articles from th late 50's to see if my brother was lying about his prolific ability---he wasn't.
its great to read about the old games.

Thanks ...now that I am in the grip of nostalgia I may look that up ...

Cherie

Re: We played a non-league game(MHR) against West Genesee when I was a senior (we beat them handily- their star player I think was named Lafex).

I think you're talking about Tommie LeFex

The coz

Re: Also, OE, I think it was Andy Dobreski from Rosary, not Andy Dombrowski from Lucy's, or maybe not.[/quote]

Dobreski sounds better, I thought he was from Lucy's but if he was from Rosary Cherie would know.

He was from the West side ... Lucy's was down in the gut near Vocational. I'm guessing he would have gone to Rosary or Sacred Heart if he had played Parochial. Looks like some research is needed ... but I rechecked my yearbook and he and his brother Bob graduated from Central. Andy played on the basketball and baseball team. Bob also played basketball and baseball for Central.

There was Sacred Heart but Rosary was more noted for the "Bellevue" section as I recall it being referred to... I think that St.Lucy's and the areas around there then was the near west ... but I think we all associated St. Pat's with Tipp Hill ... not necessarily Sacred Heart which, as I recall, was nearer the Polish section ...but my memory is fading.

There was Sacred Heart but Rosary was more noted for the "Bellevue" section as I recall it being referred to... I think that St.Lucy's and the areas around there then was the near west ... but I think we all associated St. Pat's with Tipp Hill ... not necessarily Sacred Heart which, as I recall, was nearer the Polish section ...but my memory is fading.
you are correct --hence tom youngs reference to shanty irish to lace curtain irish

The old Parochial League "experts" will probably tell you the best player was either Gene Fisch or Bob Kallfelz, although Billy Jones from Evangelist and "Prosser" from Hearts would also get votes. Here are some other names of players from the early 60's: John Riley- Baptists, "Pee Wee" Klimaszewski, Jody Markowski and Len Banach- Hearts, Dick Martyns and Jim Kincaid- Anthony's, Jim Carno- Assumption, Bernie Lampe, "Monk" D'Agata and Bob Hughes- St. V's, Rich Como- Evangelist, Dick Wheeler, "Butch" Driscoll and Gary DeYulia- St. Pat's, Bill Schmidt- Rosary, The Morgillo brothers- Cathedral, "Tookie" Chisholm- St. Lucy's. Probably the best "pure Shooter" to play in the Parochial League was the CBA transfer, Bob Bregard, who played only about 10 games for St. Lucy's during the '64-'65 season and averaged about 30 per game.
I remember JJ Harrison from St. Pat's 1970/71 being a real good player.

It was Andy at Central ... I knew him and probably Bob at Rosary ... they were from the West side. IIt seems that Fulton and Oswego, especially Fulton must have been consiidered part of the City League bb/c we played them every year in football (I should say we showed up in football) and basketball. CBA was definitely part of the City League (that was before Ludden and Grimes). Valley closed for Corcoran ... Vocational for Fowler, and Central for Henninger (where the Reddicks played ball). I think got that about right.
That all sounds right except Henninger replaced North and Eastwood high schools. Central was still around well after Henninger opened circa 1964. It closed in 1975. FYI, it opened again as the Institure of Central Technology HS in 2007. They even have football and basketball teams.

That all sounds right except Henninger replaced North and Eastwood high schools. Central was still around well after Henninger opened circa 1964. It closed in 1975. FYI, it opened again as the Institure of Central Technology HS in 2007. They even have football and basketball teams.
That's right ... Eastwood and North closed wth the opening of Henninger (yes in 1964). The "new" Institute of Central Technology is in the new section and our team here plays them in both. Thanks for the reminder.

Hey OE, what years did you attend St John the Evangelist? It's quite possible you went to school with my dad, and most likely with one of his siblings. He's from a family of 6 kids from Eastwood.

Is there a private message function on this new site? I can't seem to locate it.

To initiate a private conversation, click on OE's name found on one of his many posts, and select the Start a Conversation option.

Something I don't understand that maybe some of you could explain to me...

Why did so many kids from Eastwood and the area just west of Eastwood (say between Burnet, Oak St, Park St and Teall Ave) go to St John the Evangelist instead of St Vincent's? St Vincent's was/is far closer.

To initiate a private conversation, click on OE's name found on one of his many posts, and select the Start a Conversation option.

Something I don't understand that maybe some of you could explain to me...

Why did so many kids from Eastwood and the area just west of Eastwood (say between Burnet, Oak St, Park St and Teall Ave) go to St John the Evangelist instead of St Vincent's? St Vincent's was/is far closer.
St. John the Evangelist was one of the top academic schools in the area. CBA followed by Nottingham followed by St. John's was the pecking order for a top education.

CBA=$$$

Nottingham=$$$

St. John's=An equal chance for all to get a top notch edumacation.

Also, because Bob Felasco would recruit basketball and baseball players to Evangelist.

St. John the Evangelist was one of the top academic schools in the area. CBA followed by Nottingham followed by St. John's was the pecking order for a top education.

CBA=$$$

Nottingham=$$$

St. John's=An equal chance for all to get a top notch edumacation.

I definitely beg to differ!

Oops ...I would agree with you OE re: Nottingham (far east side) and CBA ... but Rosary was right up there. (I beat Cherie to it) ... what that came down to was the location of the school (except CBA and Convent which were pay as you go) ... Nottingham was in a very affluent part of town ... and Rosary was in the Bellevue section which, at that time was fairly affluent as well. (Now ya'll can beat me down)

Also, because Bob Felasco would recruit basketball and baseball players to Evangelist.
That only accounted for a handful of students, in my class there were 6 and that might be streching it. Most people get a kick out of this, my graduating class was the largest in the history of the school, we had 105.

The demographics as far as where did this class come from breaks down as follows:

Eastwood 30

Near North Side-Schiller Park-Downtown area 24

East Syracuse 17

West End 7

Sedgwick-Salem Hyde 6

North Syracuse 4

East Side 4

Manlius 3

Camillus 2

Liverpool 2

South Side 2

Fayetteville 2

Lyncourt 1

Mattydale 1

That's what the nuns and priest's told us and I would be doomed to hell if I ever doubted their word.

Cherie, the year I was a senior that is what we were told.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom