Geography / ACC Basketball 2015 Annual Mag ... | Syracusefan.com

Geography / ACC Basketball 2015 Annual Mag ...

SU94

Starter
Saw the ACC's Annual preview Magazine in the grocery store down here in Florida. Solid magazine with a page for every scholarship player in the ACC, I believe (we saved them some printing costs didn't we?).

Anyhow, one SU-related nugget that caught my eye was that all of our players are from the I-95 corridor. No exceptions (well, perhaps walk-ons). Furthest west was Obokoh. Furthest south was likely Frank Howard IIRC.

I just don't ever remember us being this regional. Not sure if this is born from intent or pure happenstance. It makes some sense, but I also like to think we are a "national" program too.

With Hop, Autry and G-Mac moving forward, I suppose this will really be where our recruiting bread is buttered. Nothing too new here. It does not hurt that we are the ACC's only strong program located in the northeast.

Just figured this little factoid is interesting.

I think when we were in the BE, we were more national than we will be going forward in the ACC. The BE had better national TV coverage than the ACC has/will have. but we were never a major recruiting force nationally and and have drawn talent mostly from NY, NJ, Mass, CT, PA, DC, and MD. I hope we can extend further south in the years ahead though as it seems more and more the talent is coming from FL, GA, NC, SC, Etc...

Saw the ACC's Annual preview Magazine in the grocery store down here in Florida. Solid magazine with a page for every scholarship player in the ACC, I believe (we saved them some printing costs didn't we?).

Anyhow, one SU-related nugget that caught my eye was that all of our players are from the I-95 corridor. No exceptions (well, perhaps walk-ons). Furthest west was Obokoh. Furthest south was likely Frank Howard IIRC.

I just don't ever remember us being this regional. Not sure if this is born from intent or pure happenstance. It makes some sense, but I also like to think we are a "national" program too.

With Hop, Autry and G-Mac moving forward, I suppose this will really be where our recruiting bread is buttered. Nothing too new here. It does not hurt that we are the ACC's only strong program located in the northeast.

Just figured this little factoid is interesting.

SU has always recruited largely regionally. If there's a 6'8 forward in the top 100, and he lives anywhere near NYC, Philly, or DC (our 3 big recruiting regions) you can bet Syracuse will be on his list.

It's no coincidence that the region we recruit heavily is also the region that tends to most consistently produce high level talent. There just isn't much reason to travel out west or way down south to grab the same caliber recruit you can target much closer to home. One-and-done players aren't high on the priority list in Boeheim's recruiting strategy either, so he's not going to travel across the country for a top 5 player who likely has no predisposition to SU basketball. The risk would be too high given the likely tiny chance of landing him.

Syracuse BB recruits like SEC FB teams do. Work on your footprint and the talent in that region is top tier talent. Their is little reason for us to recruit outside of Boston/NYC/NJ/Philly/DVM/NC/FL regions.
I mean unless there is a elite talent in Chicago/TX/West Coast I wouldn't recruit them unless they wanted to come here.
Just recruit the I-95 corridor and we will be fine.

SU has always recruited largely regionally. If there's a 6'8 forward in the top 100, and he lives anywhere near NYC, Philly, or DC (our 3 big recruiting regions) you can bet Syracuse will be on his list.
It's no coincidence that the region we recruit heavily is also the region that tends to most consistently produce high level talent. There just isn't much reason to travel out west or way down south to grab the same caliber recruit you can target much closer to home. One-and-done players aren't high on the priority list in Boeheim's recruiting strategy either, so he's not going to travel across the country for a top 5 player who likely has no predisposition to SU basketball. The risk would be too high given the likely tiny chance of landing him.

This. There is so much talent in NY/NJ/PA that there is no reason to look beyond there. Also we are likely to be on most of those kids' lists to begin with because of the proximity. Seems like a waste to go to a see kid who's ranked #60 and is from Kansas or Texas when there are 15 kids ranked ahead of him who are from the Northeast. The culture fit works better too.