George McDonald, still irked by Pitt loss discusses growth as a play-caller heading into Year 2 (PS) | Syracusefan.com

George McDonald, still irked by Pitt loss discusses growth as a play-caller heading into Year 2 (PS)

Pitt Was The Most Poorly Coached Game I Have Ever Seen By An SU Team.

OrangePA said:
Pitt Was The Most Poorly Coached Game I Have Ever Seen By An SU Team.

Been drinking, huh?

Gee... just my luck to have been at both of those disasters.

Stop it...ever?
9%20inch%20Pizza_Box.jpg

Pitt 2013 and Rutgers 2011, those two games caused me to increase the Strategic Alcohol Reserve at my residence. I am now well prepared, if we unfortunately have a similar event in the future.

Side note: For years, I've been saying icing the kicker was pointless and that coaches were just following the herd.

http://freakonomics.com/2011/10/26/football-freakonomics-icing-the-kicker/

The Pitt game proved me wrong when the Pitt timeout smoked out our fake.

:bat::bat::bat:

Scooch said:
I didn't realize you became an SU fan in 2009.

Yeah there should be some kind of GRob/losses to Rutgers & Temple/50+ to 0 disclaimer in there if singling out a 1 point loss to an evenly matched team as literally the worst ever.

:bang::bang:
Pitt 2013 and Rutgers 2011, those two games caused me to increase the Strategic Alcohol Reserve at my residence. I am now well prepared, if we unfortunately have a similar event in the future.
Side note: For years, I've been saying icing the kicker was pointless and that coaches were just following the herd.

http://freakonomics.com/2011/10/26/football-freakonomics-icing-the-kicker/

The Pitt game proved me wrong when the Pitt timeout smoked out our fake.

:bat::bat::bat:

That damn Rutgers game hurt more!

losing to Rutgers in 2011 was way worse. If I remember that game right we dominated they blocked a fg and scored and picked off nassib in the red zone once or twice

I was thinking today of what game hurt losing the most the past few years. For me it was Pitt b/c it was winnable. It hurt worse after we beat Pitt and Minnesota, though.

Listen, if McDonald learns and grows from that experience then great. I hope he sticks with us a long time. Sucks we lost but if he learns some things that may mean wins further down the road.

There aren't many defenses that could have stopped Akron that day.

(except for probably all of them).

"The little engine that could... "

GregRobinson.jpg

Rocco said:
We lost to Akron. Akron. That Pitt game was fugly, but not as bad as losing by 14 to Akron in the Dome. Akron.

I can think of a couple of Temple and Rutgirls teams that were just as embarrassing.

rrlbees said:
I can think of a couple of Temple and Rutgirls teams that were just as embarrassing.

Was gonna say... Rutgers 1999, Temple 2000, Rutgers 2003 and Temple 2004... Pitt last year isn't in the same stratosphere.

Maybe our resident Coach P apologist has a bit of amnesia and forgot this little gem back in 1999 to a certain 0-9 team:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/14/s...shocks-syracuse-and-breaks-losing-streak.html

I was at that game. I sat in the first row behind the SU bench.

That loss was not due to poor coaching or poor decision making by the staff.

It was due to very poor execution - a dropped pass by Lowe in the open field - the short missed FG. We were playing with a QB who had guts and brains and moxy but who was not physically capable of taking over a Division I game. And because of his lack of physical dominance we were subject to his up and down play.

I accept that my team will lose games and will lose games that it should win from time to time.

But the decision making on offense especially by the coaches was blatantly inept against Pitt last year.

That is not what happened against Rutgers.

And by the way, since you brought it up, if Shafer wins over 100 games and goes to nine bowl games including the Fiesta, Liberty, Orange and Gator Bowls, I'll be very happy - as you will be.

You missed the point.

It was not a matter of being embarrassed.

Pitt is a quality program. You can't be upset with a loss to the Panthers.

The point of my post was the horrific decision making by the staff during that game.

And I don't normally question play calling but the play calling in that game was utterly without logic.

So, don't confuse lack of execution - missed FGs, stupid turnovers, bad breaks from strange weather and failure to make plays by mediocre players - with what I am talking about.

The Georgia Tech game was right up there.

That was a horrible game.

And yes, the pre-game defensive strategy was wretched.

But the in-game decision making by the staff against Pitt was as bad as I have ever seen.

You missed the point.

It was not a matter of being embarrassed.

Pitt is a quality program. You can't be upset with a loss to the Panthers.

The point of my post was the horrific decision making by the staff during that game.

And I don't normally question play calling but the play calling in that game was utterly without logic.

So, don't confuse lack of execution - missed FGs, stupid turnovers, bad breaks from strange weather and failure to make plays by mediocre players - with what I am talking about. Please tell me your not making excuses for P and the infamous "wind" game at Rutgers. Or the inability to make any adjustments what so ever to stop Walter Washington. You do remember we had an extra point missed in the Pitt game as well a 40 yard field goal. GMac certainly had a rough game -- but the real story was the inability to handle Aaron Donald. Donald was a unanimous first team all american, as well as winner of the Outland, Lombardi, and Nagurski awards. Walter Washington won nothing, and was a running back playing QB.