Girard | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Girard

Not sure how long you have been a fan, but JB has been using a forward to help with pressure since he started at Syracuse.

Byrnes, Shack, Kerins, Raf, Coleman, Owens, Wallace, Burgan, Melo, etc.

This strategy has nothing to do with who the PG is. Nothing.

We can agree to disagree. I think JB has had to shift strategies to get the ball up since teams have focused on hunting Joe.

Again, I'm not saying he hasn't done it before. I'm not saying he's been homogenous in his strategies for dribbling the basketball in his tenure.

Literally, that's all.

This is wild to me.

I've been a fan since the mid 80s. Grew up in New Berlin, NY, then Johnson City, NY, then went to Cuse undergrad, Cuse grad and have lived in NYC since 2004 and live on the UWS. I've had season tickets to both football and basketball.

I've been on this board for over two decades.

Good lord what is up with this thread.

31 mins is quite a bit for a “secondary” ball handler. I like Sy, but the more mins of Sy and Joe together, which I also like, is less mins for Benny. Which may be ok but less time will stunt his growth.

We have a three guard rotation. It's not exactly like we can dip into more players.

Yes, Joe plays a lot because Joe has to play a lot.

He dribbles the ball frequently.

I don't think this is ideal and I think JB has shown by his decisions that he knows that there needs to be more help than usual when teams hunt Joe.

Again, the kid brings a lot to the table. I don't think he's the ideal primary ball handler and PG for this team and *IMO ONLY* I think JB has taken actions that show that he also sees that.

We have a three guard rotation. It's not exactly like we can dip into more players.

Yes, Joe plays a lot because Joe has to play a lot.

He dribbles the ball frequently.

I don't think this is ideal and I think JB has shown by his decisions that he knows that there needs to be more help than usual when teams hunt Joe.

Again, the kid brings a lot to the table. I don't think he's the ideal primary ball handler and PG for this team and *IMO ONLY* I think JB has taken actions that show that he also sees that.

What actions by JB would those be?

Not sure how long you have been a fan, but JB has been using a forward to help with pressure since he started at Syracuse.

Byrnes, Shack, Kerins, Raf, Coleman, Owens, Wallace, Burgan, Melo, etc.

This strategy has nothing to do with who the PG is. Nothing.
Agreed but i dont really remember Sherm or Pearl or Bug being helped. Granted those guys are elite and teams didnt dare press us much as it usually resulted in them getting crushed. But yes JB and most coaches use Forwards to help break the press its standard

How it started:

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

How it's going :

Stink Rona GIF

Should add that there’s a difference in a trapping zone press, and a team just picking up our guard man to man the whole way.

Everybody uses forwards to help against zone presses and traps, etc. Most teams just give it to their PG against a man to man. If you’ve got a Jonny Flynn, they probably don’t even bother trying to pick him up full court.

Its the easiest and safest way to eat clock. Its really smart by Jim. Brilliant actually.
And yet, we blew double digit leads the last 2 games in the last 5 minutes playing this way. Should have lost the Indiana game and were very close to losing to FSU. We had both of those teams buried until we went into iso stall ball.

Should add that there’s a difference in a trapping zone press, and a team just picking up our guard man to man the whole way.

Everybody uses forwards to help against zone presses and traps, etc. Most teams just give it to their PG against a man to man. If you’ve got a Jonny Flynn, they probably don’t even bother trying to pick him up full court.

And Saturday FSU had a man almost every possession guard Joe 1-1 all the way up court.

And yet, we blew double digit leads the last 2 games in the last 5 minutes playing this way. Should have lost the Indiana game and were very close to losing to FSU. We had both of those teams buried until we went into iso stall ball.
That's a lot of the internal clock in JB's head. It's not new to SU basketball but it leads to the cardiac cuse games. One nice thing this season is that the top-5 can all drill FTs. It's a weird world when I don't flinch when SU is at the line. But I like it.

Personally, I think they just keep their foot on the gas, but I'm not the head coach.

That's a lot of the internal clock in JB's head. It's not new to SU basketball but it leads to the cardiac cuse games. One nice thing this season is that the top-5 can all drill FTs. It's a weird world when I don't flinch when SU is at the line. But I like it.

Personally, I think they just keep their foot on the gas, but I'm not the head coach.
The part of the calculus on JB's abacus is that we have been better lately rebounding, but we might not be consistent there.

What actions by JB would those be?
Getting Paddy Casey some more minutes and more importantly, 3-pt FGAs. Because right now he's screwing up the Iggy tie-breaker for the best 3-pt FG%.

Getting Paddy Casey some more minutes and more importantly, 3-pt FGAs. Because right now he's screwing up the Iggy tie-breaker for the best 3-pt FG%.
I think it's great because he was my choice. :cool:

Depends on the game, matchups, who is playing well.

3 guard lineup had some good stretches last game.
Isn’t that what’s being done?

And Saturday FSU had a man almost every possession guard Joe 1-1 all the way up court.
Theres a reaaon for that.
If you cant beat your man its a great way to disrupt an O. Joes doing pretty good. I like changing things up with Symir.

Come on, Bees. Really? This is where you're at?

Honestly, I'll punt on this, you win. He didn't change anything. Bringing the ball up the court has been exactly the same as it has been since the Reagan administration.

Yes really. Did Joe bring the ball up against 1-1 pressure?

Isn’t that what’s being done?
Yeah, more and more it seems as Symir plays better. I hope he can keep progressing and earn more time. He does a nice job of finding shooters, and is a decent ball handler and defender. If he can keep progressing and start finishing a little bit around the basket and do enough to justify more time, that 3 guard lineup could be pretty dynamic IMO. We’d have more ball handling on the court and might be able to handle pressure and get into our offense better and theoretically frees up Joe a bit more.

Always thought GMac looked like a better player when he had Billy playing next to him. If Billy had stayed and been without his demons or whatever it was, GMac would have had more success I think.

If I recall, GMac’s shooting % numbers were at their highest in the first half of his soph. year, when he was playing alongside Edelin. 3 years of that combo would’ve changed a lot for us from 04-06.
Seems like some others agree with us as well.

Lazarus Sims: "They were both great games, but we didn’t have a consistent true point guard on the floor who put everyone in the right position. I’ll go back to when they won the championship in '03. Many people will say it was 'Melo [Anthony], it was Gerry [McNamara] — but really if you go back and watch the tournament, when they played their best, it was Billy Edelin who was the key. He put Gerry in his right position, the 2.

Seems like some others agree with us as well.

Lazarus Sims: "They were both great games, but we didn’t have a consistent true point guard on the floor who put everyone in the right position. I’ll go back to when they won the championship in '03. Many people will say it was 'Melo [Anthony], it was Gerry [McNamara] — but really if you go back and watch the tournament, when they played their best, it was Billy Edelin who was the key. He put Gerry in his right position, the 2.

I guess the island I’m on is a bit more populated than I thought.

I guess the island I’m on is a bit more populated than I thought.
I think the only people who don’t think Torrence should play more are the ones who thought he was a bad player when he transferred in. Even some of those people recognize he should get more minutes anyway.

You’re on an island today.
This team has a lot of new parts and they are getting better and will come on strong in league play. Then the critics and armchair coaches will disappear.

This team has a lot of new parts and they are getting better and will come on strong in league play. Then the critics and armchair coaches will disappear.
You should go root for Colgate since you’re so content and happy to lose to them.

You should go root for Colgate since you’re so content and happy to lose to them.
Colgate still? Get over it. I hope your significant other keeps bring up issues from years ago, that's your karma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom