Give me 5 Jerome's to coach, and I'm good | Syracusefan.com

Give me 5 Jerome's to coach, and I'm good

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
He is the ultimate guy who you hate as an opponent but I want 5. I agree with Bilas that he may find a paycheck in the league. He has skill, smarts, and he is tough and not scared.

I should know but did we recruit him at all? Also the off season conversations about our back court being the best in the ACC - give me UVA's all day.

Believe he's projected for mid to late second round.

He committed relatively early - September of his junior year. UVA was his only P5 offer at the time - his next best offers, if 247 is accurate, were probably Temple and Davidson. Tony really zeroed in on him.

He’s probably going pro this year, along with Hunter, who is much less of a surprise.

EDIT: It’s not showing up in my post for some reason, but the “if is accurate” is referring to a recruiting site with numbers in its name.

He is the ultimate guy who you hate as an opponent but I want 5. I agree with Bilas that he may find a paycheck in the league. He has skill, smarts, and he is tough and not scared.

I should know but did we recruit him at all? Also the off season conversations about our back court being the best in the ACC - give me UVA's all day.
He is from New Rochelle. We never offered I think. He had offer from UVA and Temple from what I remember. I want to say Rhode Island or a school like that too. He was a top 50 kid and I feel like UVA was on him pretty early and he was an early commit. I could be wrong about that though.

I like Jerome too. Before the game I was surprised with the lack of size and obvious athleticism of Virginia unlike other teams like FSU etc. Jerome is a great college player, very efficient, cool and calm. Only Hunter, and a guy named Key looked athletic to my lying eyes before the game. Jerome and Guy are pretty thin unimpressive athletic looking players in warmups. I like Jerome’s manner, very business like and so efficient. Guy is always smirking , making snide remarks, even giving BB some of his smirks when he scored - definitely not as likeable but he’s a sniper who made baskets when guarded closely, when given room, or even taking ‘bad’ shots what would be well beyond the 3 point line. He really backed up those smirks. Between Guy, Jerome and Hunter they shot out of their minds.

I like Jerome too. Before the game I was surprised with the lack of size and obvious athleticism of Virginia unlike other teams like FSU etc. Jerome is a great college player, very efficient, cool and calm. Only Hunter, and a guy named Key looked athletic to my lying eyes before the game. Jerome and Guy are pretty thin unimpressive athletic looking players in warmups. I like Jerome’s manner, very business like and so efficient. Guy is always smirking , making snide remarks, even giving BB some of his smirks when he scored - definitely not as likeable but he’s a sniper who made baskets when guarded closely, when given room, or even taking ‘bad’ shots what would be well beyond the 3 point line. He really backed up those smirks. Between Guy, Jerome and Hunter they shot out of their minds.
Diakite is extremely springy and a great leaper. (Maybe those are two ways of saying the same thing.) He's the best run-jump athlete on the team for sure. The Hoos have a redshirt freshman named Francesco Badocchi who is extremely raw but supposedly that kind of quick-jump athlete as well. I believe he's currently out with a foot injury, so he wouldn't have been in warmups for you to see. The little guy, Kihei Clark, supposedly scored off the charts on the conditioning combine-type tests that Bennett puts all his recruits through - I think he had the second-best results of the Bennett era, behind Brogdon. I do not know what those tests are, but my understanding is that they're more quickness/shuttle-run type things rather than raw eye-test athleticism.

The FSU comparison kind of makes me laugh, because basically they're the other extreme. They look like the Mon-Stars out there, like a team you would design in a lab to be physically intimidating. They're a good team, but they're also the layup line All-Stars.

Interesting to see that take on Jerome and Guy. I know Guy got a lot of flak for the man bun, but I think the general consensus among other fan bases has been that he's the more likable of the two if only because he's smiling all the time. Jerome gets (not entirely undeserved) criticism for whining to the refs, but maybe he wasn't doing that as much last night.

Diakite is extremely springy and a great leaper. (Maybe those are two ways of saying the same thing.) He's the best run-jump athlete on the team for sure. The Hoos have a redshirt freshman named Francesco Badocchi who is extremely raw but supposedly that kind of quick-jump athlete as well. I believe he's currently out with a foot injury, so he wouldn't have been in warmups for you to see. The little guy, Kihei Clark, supposedly scored off the charts on the conditioning combine-type tests that Bennett puts all his recruits through - I think he had the second-best results of the Bennett era, behind Brogdon. I do not know what those tests are, but my understanding is that they're more quickness/shuttle-run type things rather than raw eye-test athleticism.

The FSU comparison kind of makes me laugh, because basically they're the other extreme. They look like the Mon-Stars out there, like a team you would design in a lab to be physically intimidating. They're a good team, but they're also the layup line All-Stars.

Interesting to see that take on Jerome and Guy. I know Guy got a lot of flak for the man bun, but I think the general consensus among other fan bases has been that he's the more likable of the two if only because he's smiling all the time. Jerome gets (not entirely undeserved) criticism for whining to the refs, but maybe he wasn't doing that as much last night.

No it was Guy approaching the refs always with a smile. Good strategy not that the refs decided this game, it’s a systemic issue we have that our zone gets called for many touch fouls that seem to be allowed in opponent’s more physical hands on man to man D. VA’s 3 point shooting was absolutely unbelievable.

No it was Guy approaching the refs always with a smile. Good strategy not that the refs decided this game, it’s a systemic issue we have that our zone gets called for many touch fouls that seem to be allowed in opponent’s more physical hands on man to man D. VA’s 3 point shooting was absolutely unbelievable.
That's a little bit of an aberration from the norm, then. Or maybe it's the smile - more flies with honey and all that. Jerome's reactions tend to be of the incredulous, throw-your-hands-in-the-air variety.

He's a phenomenal college player. Good size, great decision-maker, solid shooter, surprisingly good defender. I would kill to have him on our team this year. And I agree he will find a way to stick in the league.

Any relation? ;):)

4jlXqZV.gif

That’s why we have a man named Joe Girard coming next year. People will hate him

When all said and done, JG3 will be hated as a opponent much more then Jerome ever was.

Seems like we have one coming in next season - JGIII

Is JG3 our own version of Jerome? Jerome seems taller than JG3 so that might be a bad comparison.

Is JG3 our own version of Jerome? Jerome seems taller than JG3 so that might be a bad comparison.
I think the poster meant as in a player every other fan base will hate. In that sense, I hope so. I dislike Jerome.

Girard has to prove he can play without the ball in his hands 90% of the time.

have to like the fact he took the shot to the face and kept playing D. didn't flop or go charlie chaplin after.

Last edited:
Five Hunters all day. He can guard every position and is advanced offensively. If you go back and look at their loss to UMBC (Hunter was injured) in the tournament last year, they didn't have the speed to keep up with UMBC 1-5. Hunter hides UVA's flaws.

Five Hunters all day. He can guard every position and is advanced offensively. If you go back and look at their loss to UMBC (Hunter was injured) in the tournament last year, they didn't have the speed to keep up with UMBC 1-5. Hunter hides UVA's flaws.

Hunter actually grew up a Cuse fan and went to same hs as Hak...no offer unfortunately

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom