Give me some reasons to believe | Syracusefan.com

Give me some reasons to believe

DonLightfoot

All Conference
I am like most on here as far as frustration from this "Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde" team. Seems we never know what to expect from one game to the next or home and away. I really want to see some hustle and "toughness" on a consistent basis which needs to start Saturday. Without it I'm afraid they will be watching the NCAAT on TV. March is just not the same without my team in the NCAAT. Can we get this thing rolling over the next few weeks?

I am like most on here as far as frustration from this "Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde" team. Seems we never know what to expect from one game to the next or home and away. I really want to see some hustle and "toughness" on a consistent basis which needs to start Saturday. Without it I'm afraid they will be watching the NCAAT on TV. March is just not the same without my team in the NCAAT. Can we get this thing rolling over the next few weeks?

My cousin is coming to visit on sat, the last time he came to visit was last year the same day we beat Georgia Tech in the dome.

r67339_576x324_16-9.jpg

"Struck me kinda funny seem kinda funny sir to me
At the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe..."

Actually, I think the team is pretty consistent. They are very good at home and mediocre at best on the road. That has been a very repeatable thing. I fully expect them to win Saturday. After that - complete unknown since the games are not at home.

Give me some reasons to believe

Here are my reasons why we win a NC this year. We win on Saturday, no problem, check. We win our first game ACCT and lose the second. Check followed by oh darn it (see moderators, I used the word "darn" so you don't ban me again for the 4th time this year. Have you ever heard of Tourettes syndrome <<I want to curse so bad right now>> ?).

Anyway, after sweating it out on selection Sunday we do make it into the big dance. Everyone is relieved.

Now here's my argument. This team really runs on adrenaline. They love playing in the Dome with all the fans screaming. The problem is our team does not have game to game endurance. So my thinking is if they can just win the round of 32 game, get a week off for rest, then for Sweet 16 and then Elite 8 game the team will be running on pure adrenaline. At that point conditioning and depth will not be a problem.

The only thing that will stop us from winning it all is facing UNC anywhere along the line. We don't match up well with that team so I am hoping they get knocked off before they play our boys.

One more reason: John Gillon's FT shooting! Holy Moly!!

I really don't see an overall lack of effort or toughness from this group. No doubt the injuries have limited JB's options, but since losing to BC, this team has been pretty consistent and has really battled hard in most every game, even the losses to teams with superior talent. The defense comes and goes, however, and the rebounding is generally weak, and some nights that's just too much to overcome with their offense.

Because the talent is there even on the worst of nights. If somehow, someway, the offense AND defense clicks, the sky is the limit.

I really don't see an overall lack of effort or toughness from this group. No doubt the injuries have limited JB's options, but since losing to BC, this team has been pretty consistent and has really battled hard in most every game, even the losses to teams with superior talent. The defense comes and goes, however, and the rebounding is generally weak, and some nights that's just too much to overcome with their offense.

Yeah, I agree with most of this. Sometimes you would like to see better effort or alertness with regards to lose balls and such but that's been a systemic epidemic for years.

The margin for error is just so thin in the ACC. In addition to the rebounding/defense like you said; if Gillon decides to not drive and play standing on the perimeter then there are those clunkers on offense too. Usually the offense gets it done though even if it is, to be perfectly frank, mostly stand around and launch threes.

Yeah, I agree with most of this. Sometimes you would like to see better effort or alertness with regards to lose balls and such but that's been a systemic epidemic for years.

The margin for error is just so thin in the ACC. In addition to the rebounding/defense like you said; if Gillon decides to not drive and play standing on the perimeter then there are those clunkers on offense too. Usually the offense gets it done though even if it is, to be perfectly frank, mostly stand around and launch threes.
I hear you. Guess I was trying to say the strength of this team is probably its offense, which hasn't really been the case in recent years.

I hear you. Guess I was trying to say the strength of this team is probably its offense, which hasn't really been the case in recent years.

For sure. I must say it has been nice seeing some offensive outputs of Syracuse scoring in the 70s and 80s.

I will be surprised if we don't roll to an easy win Saturday. I also won't be surprised when we get beat in the 1st round of the ACC Tourney. This team feels like a play in game type team. Fair or not. I think that is where we land if we go 1-1 the next two.

Because we are Syracuse and have a culture of winning led by one of the best coaches in the country. When we are clicking offensively and play inspired defensively, we can beat any team in the country.

Duke, Florida State, Virginia - We have seen the talent.

This team is inconsistent because it lives and dies with perimeter shots. There isn't much inside game. When we have a couple of hot guys and the shots are falling we look real good. When the shots aren't falling we look bad. This team isn't going to win any games by shutting down the other team. Hopefully Gillon has one of his hot games Saturday and White starts making some shots again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom