Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

I initially said no to Addazio as HC, but that’s only due to his age. Honestly, if they aren’t going for coaches like Mullen, Lewis, Ruggiero, Hartline (my top 4) then I’d say Addazio. I guess…? Blah

He would definitely have to be more creative on offense and not rely solely on power run game.

He has strong recruiting ties, usually has disciplined team, which is something Dino cannot say and he at least got BC to bowl games.
I'm pretty sure the Addazio thing at Colorado State was a disaster.

Anyone thinking that a coach with no ties to the NE let alone the East Coast is getting consideration they’ve lost their mind.

The list will look something like

Tony White
Sean Lewis
Steve Addazzio
Joe Moorhead
Dan Mullen (long shot)
Bob Chesney (due diligence)

These coaches that have spent their entire lives in Texas or the south (Herman, Kinne, etc) are not going to be considered.

I think White or another 3-3-5 minded defensive coach will get a very hard look as that has been where the success is. Also it supports the construct of the most successful parts of the roster. Minus LQA and some TEs there is nothing attractive on the offensive side of the ball to work with. I think these factors along with NE ties with Midwest secondary ties will be important factors.

I've seen a few say Mullen is a pipe dream. Unless we think he's done with coaching (which I'd be surprised about concerning his age), where else is he going?
He's one of the primary targets that JW should go after.

He'll eventually want to get back in a program that has regular chances at winning the national championship. Reality is, that none of those current programs will give him that shot until he can show that he's back in good coaching form. He can come to the 3-1-5, rebuild the program and get to an ACC championship game, and possibly further, in the new 12-team playoff format. A few 9+ win seasons with the Orange could get him those opportunities... then again he could also stick around and get a couple of championships for the Orange.

There are other coaches that have done well in the SEC, B1G, PAC, etc., that got the boot due to potential unrealistic expectations from their boosters. Like Mullen, they too would like another shot at the top. But, like Mullen, they won't get that until they can prove that they're still able to to coach.

JW should go after several of these former high level coaches. These coaches have made plenty of $ in the past and realize that a successful SU run, at a somewhat lower salary level, will get them the opportunity that they're looking for. He should also look at some up-and-comers, in case they check all of his boxes and the group of experienced coaches are not (yet) willing to reboot their careers.

I'm pretty sure the Addazio thing at Colorado State was a disaster.
He is a northeast guy and this would literally be my 8th choice. I would much rather have him than Jim Knowles, who is allegedly on their list now.

Anyone thinking that a coach with no ties to the NE let alone the East Coast is getting consideration they’ve lost their mind.

Tony White
Sean Lewis
Steve Addazzio
Joe Moorhead
Dan Mullen (long shot)

These coaches that have spent their entire lives in Texas or the south (Herman, Kinne, etc) are not going to be considered.

I think White or another 3-3-5 minded defensive coach will get a very hard look as that has been where the success is. Also it supports the construct of the most successful parts of the roster. Minus LQA and some TEs there is nothing attractive on the offensive side of the ball to work with. I think these factors along with NE ties with Midwest secondary ties will be important factors.
Nice list. This is basically my list but add Warren Ruggiero and Hartline. I’m not a real fan of Moorhead either.

Yeah Addazio as oline coach sure, Addazio as HC no thanks. Syracuse doesn't need BC hand me downs. No thanks and yeah I am aware he had some alright years. I could care less about NE guy as HC. You can build your staff and fill the need for NE connections. Sure if timing had worked for Leipold that would have been a natural fit and hire. I am not hearing any NE names like that being tossed around.

Holy Cross coach going to get looks this off-season too. I would think cuse would be interested but he’s a good coach. Not sure he’s the answer but a lot of people are very high on him
If you look at the HC roster. Tons of kids from various prep powerhouses in the northeast. Obviously he's going after a different class of player but clearly he has ties to a lot of good HS coaches.

I've seen a few say Mullen is a pipe dream. Unless we think he's done with coaching (which I'd be surprised about concerning his age), where else is he going?

I don't that Syracuse will pay enough to get him to leave the studio which is why it is a pipe dream IMO

Tony White
Sean Lewis
Steve Addazzio
Joe Moorhead
Dan Mullen (long shot)

blah, last two Are intriguing though

I don't that Syracuse will pay enough to get him to leave the studio which is why it is a pipe dream IMO
ESPN can’t be paying him 4 mil a year can they? I really have no idea what they pay

Here are some interesting coaches that we probably can actually get.
Troy Taylor - Sacramento State

FIFY:
Troy Taylor - Sacramento State Stanford

---

Jim Knowles - losing record as a HC at Cornell. Please no.

Joe Moorhead - won 4 games in 2 years as HC at Akron. OC, yes, HC, no.

Tony White - actually has next to no ties to the east coast. Just the 3 years he spent at SU and that's it. He's been west of the Miss. his entire adult life.

Warren Ruggiero - admittedly, I did not know who he is. WF OC, w/ Clawson since BG.
"Wake Forest is the only football program in the ACC to average at least 30 points per game each year since 2017."

Tony White
Sean Lewis
Steve Addazzio
Joe Moorhead
Dan Mullen (long shot)

Thank God. No cowboy boots or Hawaiian shirts allowed.

This isn't the 90s or even the early 2000s. Regionality doesn't matter anymore. Watch how the West Coast opens up for Penn State with USC, UCLA, U of O and UW entering the league. If your program is attractive, people will attend.
Right, we can't keep the best in our own state. Might be better off getting a guy who has good relationships in a more fertile recruiting area.

Florida paid him $6 at departure and will pay him $1 annually for 6 years.

I don't know what ESPN pays... I'm guessing close to $500,000 for 12-13 weeks of an on-site game and Saturday in the studio. He may do a couple of bowl games as well and in-studio for CFP games.

I'm guessing that $4M + bonuses (8+wins, bowl wins, ACC championship or 2nd, CFP) while still collecting $1M/year from Florida should be enough for his family to live on. A 4-5 year contract with non-crazy exit clauses and plenty of $ to hire a good->great coaching staff should work out. I say: Do It!

FIFY:
Troy Taylor - Sacramento State Stanford

---

Jim Knowles - losing record as a HC at Cornell. Please no.

Joe Moorhead - won 4 games in 2 years as HC at Akron. OC, yes, HC, no.

Tony White - actually has next to no ties to the east coast. Just the 3 years he spent at SU and that's it. He's been west of the Miss. his entire adult life.

Warren Ruggiero - admittedly, I did not know who he is. WF OC, w/ Clawson since BG.
"Wake Forest is the only football program in the ACC to average at least 30 points per game each year since 2017."
Stanford didn't have a choice in that hire. David Shaw razed that program to the ground to the point where a warm body would suffice.

Florida paid him $6 at departure and will pay him $1 annually for 6 years.

I don't know what ESPN pays... I'm guessing close to $500,000 for 12-13 weeks of an on-site game and Saturday in the studio. He may do a couple of bowl games as well and in-studio for CFP games.

I'm guessing that $4M + bonuses (8+wins, bowl wins, ACC championship or 2nd, CFP) while still collecting $1M/year from Florida should be enough for his family to live on. A 4-5 year contract with non-crazy exit clauses and plenty of $ to hire a good->great coaching staff should work out. I say: Do It!

I would do it but Syracuse wont I don't think. I would think Herman at 2-3 million would be a better more realistic target.

I don’t think it’s everything. But it’s definitely something when it comes to recruiting ties.

This type of myopic thinking limits the program.

Coach Prime wasn’t from the Mountain Time Zone and managed to flip the roster at CU on a team that was 1-11 last year.

Nick Saban wasn’t from Alabama.

Sarkissian wasn’t from Texas.

Chip Kelly and others weren’t from Oregon.

None of those coaches were from the same region as the school, but they’ve done well because the university was “all-in” on providing the resources needed to be competitive.

Is Syracuse University all-in? Or more important, is the Syracuse football COMMUNITY all-in and prepared to increase the salary pool for assistants, improve the recruiting budget and resources, and improve the NIL opportunities for student-athletes?

If the football COMMUNITY is only committed to sit in cheap seats and complain on social media then be prepared to be frustrated until they fire the next head coach.

Wash - rinse - repeat, wash - rinse - repeat until the community is prepared to step up. Stop expecting someone else to do it.

JW is correct in keeping his focus on a coach with strong east coast ties. Syracuse is a tough spot unless you are from the east. There is no way in heck a guy from the West Coast is taking this job and thinking long term. Also, I don't want a retread who is trying to make a few more bucks. Give me a proven older coach like Cig who would make this his last gig or a young coach like White who wants a chance to prove himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom