Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

Why?

I am not a huge fan of Candle but as far as lower level HCs he has a good record, has HC experience with his own recruits, and is still very young. Plus Ohio connections will help while he establishes Northeastern ones.

That said he hasn't beaten a P5 and is 8-9 vs other G5s

Edit

To be fair, that G5 record I didn't include UMass who is FBS but not in a G5 conference.

Last edited:
I am not a huge fan of Candle but as far as lower level HCs he has a good record, has HC experience with his own recruits, and is still very young. Plus Ohio connections will help while he establishes Northeastern ones.

That said he hasn't beaten a P5 and is 8-9 vs other G5s
In almost 8 seasons as a HC:
40-19 conference record
Not 1 losing season
2 conference championships (on track for another this season)
Came up through the coaching ranks with Matt Campbell (who despite his success, never won the MAC)

Why?
It just seems like he’s been up and down in the MAC and it’s another Babers type of hire. I think there are better options out there. Just saying his name gets me……not excited.

But that’s just me.

This type of myopic thinking limits the program.

Coach Prime wasn’t from the Mountain Time Zone and managed to flip the roster at CU on a team that was 1-11 last year.

Nick Saban wasn’t from Alabama.

Sarkissian wasn’t from Texas.

Chip Kelly and others weren’t from Oregon.

None of those coaches were from the same region as the school, but they’ve done well because the university was “all-in” on providing the resources needed to be competitive.

Is Syracuse University all-in? Or more important, is the Syracuse football COMMUNITY all-in and prepared to increase the salary pool for assistants, improve the recruiting budget and resources, and improve the NIL opportunities for student-athletes?

If the football COMMUNITY is only committed to sit in cheap seats and complain on social media then be prepared to be frustrated until they fire the next head coach.

Wash - rinse - repeat, wash - rinse - repeat until the community is prepared to step up. Stop expecting someone else to do it.
I don’t disagree with your point, but those examples are not comparable to the situation SU finds itself in. Colorado was really smart to get Prime but there’s only one of him.

This is not directed at you, just a general comment. SU has very few built in advantages. Playing time, geography (for an individual not in aggregate), scheme (if you hire it), academics, and conference prestige. People screaming about hitting the portal tend to fail to understand how the portal is actually working. SU is not getting kids that are portalling up unless from FCS or limited G5. SU is getting kids that are portalling down or laterally to a better fit. By and large those kids go to schools closer to home. NE prep and private school ties become really important here. Yes, you can establish those ties through assistants, but look at how often outsiders have prioritized the region since P was fired.

Name a P5 school that is not an elite finding any sort of success right now without building their roster with kids from with 1000 miles of the school. This is due to the amount of money and time it takes to compete in other regions farther away. Both bringing in recruits and sending coaches. We like to complain that we don’t have enough money compared to others but then want to adopt a more expensive recruiting strategy.

These are things the AD and BOT will really be considering when providing guidance to the search committee. No matter what the guidance is I just hope there is a clear strategy and vision along with the necessary resourcing to see it through.

Clearly you didn’t read my post (s) like others thinking I would be thrilled with Addazio. I said he was like bottom on my list and would really only take him if it came down to him and Jim Knowles. I wouldn’t completely dismiss him due to his age like I was previously doing.

He is only slightly appealing because of his recruiting ties and his teams usually play pretty disciplined.

I also think having recruiting ties and being familiar with the region are a little more important at Syracuse than freaking Alabama and Texas haha. These schools can pick and choose whatever 5 and 4 stars they want from anywhere in the country regardless of the coach.

I would rather have any one of these guys before we even got to SA.

Mullen
Lewis
Warren Ruggiero
White
Hartline
Chesney
Leipold
Phil Longo
This is a pretty good list and one I think is more likely the search committee will work from.

Depending on buy out I think you could make an attractive offer for Leipold to leave Kansas and the expanded Big 12.

Florida paid him $6 at departure and will pay him $1 annually for 6 years.

I don't know what ESPN pays... I'm guessing close to $500,000 for 12-13 weeks of an on-site game and Saturday in the studio. He may do a couple of bowl games as well and in-studio for CFP games.

I'm guessing that $4M + bonuses (8+wins, bowl wins, ACC championship or 2nd, CFP) while still collecting $1M/year from Florida should be enough for his family to live on. A 4-5 year contract with non-crazy exit clauses and plenty of $ to hire a good->great coaching staff should work out. I say: Do It!
Usually these contracts have offset clauses thar prevent double dipping in the same service area, which is why ESPN is attractive as it does not count as an offset.

I thought he grew up in Brooklyn. What his bio said. Sorry my bad.
Grew up in Queens w/ his Mom. Played HS football in Texas living w/ his Dad. College in LA. Mother, brother still live in NYC - with White its probably more accurate to say "Northeast or New York roots/family ties."

Imho, the time actually spent coaching at SU - knowing the school/regional recruiting landscape and such - has far more value than where he grew up.

Leipold is in the running for the MSU job. SU can’t compete against Big Ten funding. That’s why Clemson, FSU and NC want out of ACC.

What about Ed Orgeron
I thought of that last night. Bring back the Ragin Cajun.
However, I believe his ex-wife is from Syracuse. Not sure if that would be an issue for him.

I keep thinking they should go after Manny Diaz, former head coach at the U. DC at Penn State. Young, good looking, probably has a good lay of the land along the East Coast and Mid Atlantic now that hes in his 2nd season at PSU, while still having relationships in South Florida to be able to hopefully grab a player or 2 each recruiting class.

ESPN is cutting staff weekly, they aren’t paying him a ton. If Syracuse can’t afford to pay more then ESPN we have huge problems.

I don’t think it’s about paying him more than he’s making at ESPN. It’s about being able to pay him what he thinks he’s worth as a coach having coached in the SEC. We aren’t paying anyone SEC money and my guess is that’s probably what he’s looking for or very close to it.

I don’t think it’s about paying him more than he’s making at ESPN. It’s about being able to pay him what he thinks he’s worth as a coach having coached in the SEC. We aren’t paying anyone SEC money and my guess is that’s probably what he’s looking for or very close to it.
agreed, not going to happen

What about Ed Orgeron
Bring back Pasqualoni and have Orgeron, Addazio, Rodgers, Rippon, Patricia on the staff.

Marty, we've gone...

Attachments

• 1699275565991.jpeg
    1699275565991.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 28
Florida paid him $6 at departure and will pay him $1 annually for 6 years.

I don't know what ESPN pays... I'm guessing close to $500,000 for 12-13 weeks of an on-site game and Saturday in the studio. He may do a couple of bowl games as well and in-studio for CFP games.

I'm guessing that $4M + bonuses (8+wins, bowl wins, ACC championship or 2nd, CFP) while still collecting $1M/year from Florida should be enough for his family to live on. A 4-5 year contract with non-crazy exit clauses and plenty of $ to hire a good->great coaching staff should work out. I say: Do It!
We can't have logical posts like this it may strain ADJW's head.

Leipold is in the running for the MSU job. SU can’t compete against Big Ten funding. That’s why Clemson, FSU and NC want out of ACC.
Leipold is a pipe dream, why the hell would he come here unless it was money and guess what? We won’t pay that kind of money. We might as well put Kirby Smart on the list

Leipold is a pipe dream, why the hell would he come here unless it was money and guess what? We won’t pay that kind of money. We might as well put Kirby Smart on the list
Whoever hired Leipold at UB was smart and yes he's not coming to syracuse. I think he stays at Kansas. We should have hired him instead of Shafer but that would have taken a tremendous amount of brainpower by somebody. I can't complain I thought Dino was a great hire

If ever a coach were to have a few good years at Syracuse he will be sought after like a walmart deal on Black Friday but that will be a good problem to have

Whoever hired Leipold at UB was smart and yes he's not coming to syracuse. I think he stays at Kansas. We should have hired him instead of Shafer but that would have taken a tremendous amount of brainpower by somebody. I can't complain I thought Dino was a great hire

If ever a coach were to have a few good years at Syracuse he will be sought after like a walmart deal on Black Friday but that will be a good problem to have
you think he stays if a Big 10 school comes at him with $?

you think he stays if a Big 10 school comes at him with $?
I do but just a guess. I think Kansas will make it tough for him to leave and I think they are soaking a bunch of $ into their facilities as well. We shall see though. Like I said just a guess. They have looked for a good coach since that mean fat guy left.

Michigan St is kind of a mess as well.

Yeah I had Dino third on my list in 2015 behind Brohm and Campbell, just turned out that the Dino we hired became lame and a different guy after he got his extension

I do but just a guess. I think Kansas will make it tough for him to leave and I think they are soaking a bunch of $ into their facilities as well. We shall see though. Like I said just a guess. They have looked for a good coach since that mean fat guy left
It will be interesting to see how much coin KU comes up with. Very interesting situation there and other schools of KU's ilk should pay attention to how it is handled, say for instance IF we ever land a coach that becomes a hot ticket ...

Usually these contracts have offset clauses thar prevent double dipping in the same service area, which is why ESPN is attractive as it does not count as an offset.
He’s already received $8M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom