Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

Seems as rational as "if I cannot win, I quit."

There are certainly others, but one of the hurdles to winning football games at SU is the overt pessimism of the fans/alumni/town (in no particular order). To be fair, I believe most schools deal with this, but I do wish that there was a way to infuse some hope or optimism outside of hiring Kyle Shanahan or Lincoln Riley (who ain't doing too well at Southern Cal FWIW).

Since McNabb left campus we have had maybe 4 good years of O. That is 25 seasons and only 4 good Os. I wouldn't be surprised if SU is the worst P5 O by a good margin over those 25 seasons. On top of that we have had a winning conference record in only 4 seasons since 2001.

Hard for anyone to have hope or optimism right now. Even with a new HC a good amount of fans will be in wait and see mode due to the above. Every time we seem to be about to turn a corner, the program let's the fanbase down. Fool me once is in effect.

A lot of our portal guys come from the traditional footprint / ACC footprint. Don't think it's an either or.

I'd love Mullen because he's both a sober hire and a splash one. He's gotta want to do it though..
You never want a coach you have to beg or bribe to take the job.

All kidding aside what would inspire you? Maybe Chesney is a stud, maybe he's a latter day Mark Duffner (hot HC guy who went to Maryland, got overwhelmed, and is a career assistant).

Personally I want a guy who's coached at this level and recruited our general turf. It's boring but don't think this is a razzle dazzle job...
Yup. Something to be said for a well coached team that can compete on game day. And if we can support him with more NIL money, it offsets the lack of buzz.

A

At least offer him. Make him say no
I agree with the premise that you gauge the interest of Coach X where X = whatever high profile target you might be interested in. The higher the profile of X, the more likely that those contacts will be back channel. So, Joe fan will never know if we made him say no.

The other reality is that, like it or not, the national perception is you can't win at Syracuse. So you don't make high profile (or any offers for that matter) public at the risk of being turned down because this only reinforces the perception. That perception also significantly limits the "realistic" pool from the jump.

The next HC at SU will most likely be a current coordinator at a P5, or a current HC at a lower program looking for a shot to move up (provided he is not a hot target of SEC or B1G schools), or a less successful HC looking to prove himself.

If/when it plays out that way, it will be misconstrued by some here as SU didn't want to spend the money, or only hires coaches with ties here, or didn't "make Mullen say no."

I agree with the premise that you gauge the interest of Coach X where X = whatever high profile target you might be interested in. The higher the profile of X, the more likely that those contacts will be back channel. So, Joe fan will never know if we made him say no.

The other reality is that, like it or not, the national perception is you can't win at Syracuse. So you don't make high profile (or any offers for that matter) public at the risk of being turned down because this only reinforces the perception. That perception also significantly limits the "realistic" pool from the jump.

The next HC at SU will most likely be a current coordinator at a P5, or a current HC at a lower program looking for a shot to move up (provided he is not a hot target of SEC or B1G schools), or a less successful HC looking to prove himself.

If/when it plays out that way, it will be misconstrued by some here as SU didn't want to spend the money, or only hires coaches with ties here, or didn't "make Mullen say no."

Tom Herman :)

Sorry. If this is the first couple, we’re toast.

I want to be clear — appreciate the info, truly.

But we’re toast.
If? You’re just now coming to this conclusion?

From an Xs and Os standpoint IMO a guy with an NFL background is far superior. They will have a good gameplan that will generally keep the games tight for 3 Qs or so. They also will generally be better at identifying talent. Now with the transfer portal it might be easier for these types to recruit, which they tend to be bad at. I would definitely prefer a type like this over an OC or DC. The next BoB, Marrone, Edwards, Mora but not any of those guys.

He is the one I want. But for some reason, I don’t think SU will pursue him. You’re right about his contract, currently 750k/year
You guys know how much he got from Texas right?

SU cannot afford to pay market value. Dino's is still low end in pay. The difference is we committed long term to him. I rather SU pay a HC $6M for a 4 year contract than $4M for a 6 year contract. If SU needs to move on after 3 years the former costs $6M to get out of. The latter will cost $12M and likely be a lower quality HC too given the lower compensation.

I don’t believe Dino at 4m plus incentives is on the low end.

The AD had a once in a forever financial problem in 2020 that too many here just seem to come up with creative accounting to avoid it. There is dead money littered all over sports, teams carrying guys with guaranteed contracts.

And frankly a 5-7 year with so many games going to the buzzer isn't getting him fired.
This year? So many games going to the buzzer? Meaning the first quarter buzzer?

Maybe he’s up to a challenge? Who knows? All these built in excuses why we shouldn’t offer Harmon and Mullin. What would it hurt to offer them? The harm is ruling them out without knowing what they really want to do

Old Failed Retreads ….. and more old failed grey haired retread coaches seems to be the favorites of the posters on this site to take over the sputtering Syracuse football team.

The SU Administration’s braintrust should think young, and a top candidate should be Syracuse area native COACH MICHAEL HART.

Coach Hart is the current running backs coach at the University of Michigan having served previously on the staffs of Syracuse, and 3 other D1 teams. Coach Hart played in the NFL after being a 3 time All Big 10 selection.

Maybe he’s up to a challenge? Who knows? All these built in excuses why we shouldn’t offer Harmon and Mullin. What would it hurt to offer them? The harm is ruling them out without knowing what they really want to do
The ADs have feelers out all the time. They know who they have a chance with basically at all times. It’s not a question of just offering a guy. It’s a near constant dialogue…

From an Xs and Os standpoint IMO a guy with an NFL background is far superior. They will have a good gameplan that will generally keep the games tight for 3 Qs or so. They also will generally be better at identifying talent. Now with the transfer portal it might be easier for these types to recruit, which they tend to be bad at. I would definitely prefer a type like this over an OC or DC. The next BoB, Marrone, Edwards, Mora but not any of those guys.
Somebody was mentioning the QB coach from Cinci Bengals as a candidate. Local guy as well.
Old Failed Retreads ….. and more old failed grey haired retread coaches seems to be the favorites of the posters on this site to take over the sputtering Syracuse football team.

The SU Administration’s braintrust should think young, and a top candidate should be Syracuse area native COACH MICHAEL HART.

Coach Hart is the current running backs coach at the University of Michigan having served previously on the staffs of Syracuse, and 3 other D1 teams. Coach Hart played in the NFL after being a 3 time All Big 10 selection.

It’s not insane, he’s building a nice resume. The harbaugh running game would be nice

Last edited:

He is also currently coaching at Florida Atlantic on a contract paying him under a million dollars per year. Working his way back up to a P5 coaching job with a pay raise would/should be attractive, Unless he plans on staying at Florida Atlantic longer and hope for a better offer down the road.

Maybe Pete Carroll can recommend someone... like maybe a coordinator from a Super Bowl Champion team?

I actually do agree that some NFL background is a plus in terms of gameplans, clock management, practice plans, in-game adjustments, etc. Dick MacPherson had NFL experience, and obviously so did Marrone.

He is also currently coaching at Florida Atlantic on a contract paying him under a million dollars per year. Working his way back up to a P5 coaching job with a pay raise would/should be attractive, Unless he plans on staying at Florida Atlantic longer and hope for a better offer down the road.
Where his wife from? That’s a key element. If shes from the south or Texas forget about it. They aren’t leaving Boca Raton for Syracuse. Dude still getting $ from Texas as well I would imagine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom