Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

Get whichever coach has the best history of building his olines. I could care less about type of offense at this point. Any offense can be established behind a competitive oline. After 23 years of mostly below average line play, that has to get fixed.
Doug Marrone has that in spades.

Cig does

I love him but I can't see him coming here.

Most HCs like FB and don't want to deal with all the none football stuff. There is a lot more non football stuff at SU vs JMU.

Every HC in every sport as they get older want less and less to do with recruiting. He will be 63 before next season and he will have to work more to get players here vs JMU. Also at his age does he really want a complete rebuild?

He is a WVU guy with family ties to WPA. Both Pitt and WV might open within the next 1-2 years. Aren't they easier jobs? Wouldn't both bring him home?

Under the current format he has a chance to make the CFPs at JMU. He has no shot at SU in the short term. Wouldn't you rather take a shot in the playoffs?

A 43 yo HC is at the point in their career where they would want to jump at any P5 job. A 63 yo HC on the tail end of their career can afford to be picky.

Get whichever coach has the best history of building his olines. I could care less about type of offense at this point. Any offense can be established behind a competitive oline. After 23 years of mostly below average line play, that has to get fixed.

Might be a good idea to find someone from the Shanahan tree with college experience.

SU’s offense has been the issue for a long time. Hiring Tony White as HC seems excessively risky.

Doug Marrone has that in spades.
Yeah his lines were alright but I would not call them above average. I would rather look forward with new blood than bring back a prior coach. None of our prior coaches are good enough to get another shot.

-Troy Calhoun
-Rich Rod doing well at his new stop
-Urban Meyer
- Brian Hartline
- Tommy Reese
-Willie Fritz

SU’s offense has been the issue for a long time. Hiring Tony White as HC seems excessively risky.

It is kind of ironic that our HCs tended to recruit better on the opposite side of the ball. I am sure some of that is believing that they can take care of their side with coaching.

White hits a lot of the boxes. If he has a plan for the O and is willing to stay ahead of the curve vs going full meathead, he would be a good hire IMO.

SU’s offense has been a problem because the offensive line has been inept. Until we fix that we won’t be very productive.

Tony white is the Scott Shafer hire. People were excited for Scott too because defense was great and players liked him. Definition of insanity pick.

I lived through the John Calipari era at UMass. He was a comet of excitement, energy and success. He was young and knew the north east being a Philly guy.

Thats why I want a young guy who may consider Syracuse a stepping stone to the ultimate destination because once Marrone left no one will ever stay here forever if results are good and money elsewhere is forever better.

Feed me Bob Chesney who gives off that Calipari vibe. He will irritate the hell out of the opponents w the rascal in him and relentless ref harassment. He’s a guy who will give SU a bump of excitement

This needs to be a head coach, young, working in north east and someone who won’t run out of energy.

In alphabetical order:

Lewis
Bronco Mendenhall (he'd keep Beck)
Mullen
Patricia
White

-----

Preferred:

Mullen
Mendenhall
Lewis
Bronco Mendenhall is interesting.
Are we really aspiring to hire a coach who went 36-38 at UVa (or if you ignore his first year record of 2-10: 34-28)? And who finished his UVa HC stint with 5-5 and 6-6 seasons?

Very much agree that a head coach with northeast ties is an important element in any new hire. Over the last forty years the coaches who have had success at Syracuse were McPherson, Pasqualoni and Marrone. All had northeast ties. Chesney, Mullen, Moorhead fit that mold. I would feel much better with a coach who knows the landscape in recruiting. I think more than salary, the biggest problem in finding the right guy is the national perception as to how the Syracuse University Administration views it’s own football program. It sure isn’t in a positive way. That has been a tremendous problem for too many years and if it does not change, Syracuse will continue to have a fan base that asks “Who else can we get that’s better than Dino?”

Tony white is the Scott Shafer hire. People were excited for Scott too because defense was great and players liked him. Definition of insanity pick.

I lived through the John Calipari era at UMass. He was a comet of excitement, energy and success. He was young and knew the north east being a Philly guy.

Thats why I want a young guy who may consider Syracuse a stepping stone to the ultimate destination because once Marrone left no one will ever stay here forever if results are good and money elsewhere is forever better.

Feed me Bob Chesney who gives off that Calipari vibe. He will irritate the hell out of the opponents w the rascal in him and relentless ref harassment. He’s a guy who will give SU a bump of excitement

This needs to be a head coach, young, working in north east and someone who won’t run out of energy.
Bob Chesney would be a home run hire and he is number 1 on my list.

-NE guy
-Young and hungry (43 years old)
-Has done multiple rebuilds and has rebuilt low level programs.

Are we really aspiring to hire a coach who went 36-38 at UVa (or if you ignore his first year record of 2-10: 34-28)? And who finished his UVa HC stint with 5-5 and 6-6 seasons?
Never had a losing season at BYU.
Other than his first rebuilding year, he never had a losing regular season at UVA.

Definitely a step up from from Dino and Mr. Cigar.

He would likely also keep coach Beck and his two 4* recruits.

Exactly. Come to terms with not being a destination and get the next whiz bang offensive mind to finally use the Dome to our advantage. He moves on get the next one. Eat Sleep Rave Repeat.

Never had a losing season at BYU.
Other than his first rebuilding year, he never had a losing regular season at UVA.

Definitely a step up from from Dino and Mr. Cigar.

He would likely also keep coach Beck and his two 4* recruits.
He lost his fire to coach. Unless it’s been magically rekindled that’s the exact thing we don’t need here. I watched his last year at UVA up close and he was… fine.

And at this point I’m 100% good with kicking Beck to the curb. The offense stinks and his QB has regressed.

It’ll be interesting to see which coaches, if any, would be willing to move to the 315. ;)

Considering Widhack likes hiring alumni, I imagine they will gauge the interest of Justin Outten if he wants to leave NFL

No clue if he is worthy but he could be Marrone 2.0

And then we can bring in SU guys to fill out the staff (TIC):

RB- Walker
WR- Moore
TE/RC- Addazio
OL- Giuffre
DC- Patricia
DB- HCRE

If we can't pay 5-6 million, pay Dino's salary and then incentives

The characteristics that you just described, that person will be hard to find...and will be very costly. A proven program builder at the P5 level with sustained success...is most likely still coaching someone else's team...but I agree with your assessment.
The only one i can think of is Dan Mullen. We will have to pay him like we’re serious about football but he seemingly has the perfect resume of what we’re looking for. We may have scared him off on Thursday but this would be one of my first calls.

My updated top 5 would be:

1. Dan Mullen (Can we afford him)

2. Bob Chesney (Probably would jump at job and wouldn’t have to break the bank)

3. Justin Outten (OL guy, could be a Marrone 2.0 but actually stay if successful)

4. Brian Hartline (I can see him recruiting well and injecting some youthful excitement but young in his coaching experience would make it boom or bust option.

5. Tony White (Another energetic young HC who is familiar with the landscape. Wouldn’t have a total rebuild on the defensive side of the ball and could keep Beck as OC

Last edited:
even when we were good we always had below average offensive lines. Just look at all the NFL guys during that period and only a couple were offensive lineman. Recently on Pugh and Bergeron are on NFL rosters and i don’t think anyone else was really close. Marrone’s teams consistently had the best OL’s and i don’t think it’s a coincidence he was an OL guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom