Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

Exactly. Come to terms with not being a destination and get the next whiz bang offensive mind to finally use the Dome to our advantage. He moves on get the next one. Eat Sleep Rave Repeat.
I look at bc and their golden years as another barometric point as well

Tom Coughlin was young, aspirational and short lived. Turned around the bicknell malaise. I’d take the next Coughlin

Jeff jags was a 2 year guy at bc who got them to 2 in the country.

Tom obrien, perpetually job searching, settled into a run of 8 win seasons

They rifled through coaches in early 2000s and did well. We can as well.

Last edited:
Bob Chesney would be a home run hire and he is number 1 on my list.

-NE guy
-Young and hungry (43 years old)
-Has done multiple rebuilds and has rebuilt low level programs.
Financially is achievable too. I suspect he’s g getting 750-1mm at hc and I’m prob high there.

The big q from his perspective is do you take the bc job or the Syracuse job and what one to him is better. I don’t know at this point if bc is better or not. We certainly aren’t what we were in 1998.

I would hope if he’s the guy and JW agrees they don’t let him wait out the other opportunities. They will have to hustle because he’s gonna have suitors very shortly. I’m kinda rooting for bc to get bowl eligible because Hafley will stay

Financially is achievable too. I suspect he’s g getting 750-1mm at hc and I’m prob high there.

The big q from his perspective is do you take the bc job or the Syracuse job and what one to him is better. I don’t know at this point if bc is better or not. We certainly aren’t what we were in 1998.

I would hope if he’s the guy and JW agrees they don’t let him wait out the other opportunities. They will have to hustle because he’s gonna have suitors very shortly. I’m kinda rooting for bc to get bowl eligible because Hafley will stay
Hafley isn’t going anywhere unless he leaves on his own, they are going bowling and have what looks like a terrific QB. I would think Chesney would come here, if he does well we will lose him but right now we need to worry about hiring a coach who can win. He is second on my list behind Cignetti but would be a great hire

I love him but I can't see him coming here.

Most HCs like FB and don't want to deal with all the none football stuff. There is a lot more non football stuff at SU vs JMU.

Every HC in every sport as they get older want less and less to do with recruiting. He will be 63 before next season and he will have to work more to get players here vs JMU. Also at his age does he really want a complete rebuild?

He is a WVU guy with family ties to WPA. Both Pitt and WV might open within the next 1-2 years. Aren't they easier jobs? Wouldn't both bring him home?

Under the current format he has a chance to make the CFPs at JMU. He has no shot at SU in the short term. Wouldn't you rather take a shot in the playoffs?

A 43 yo HC is at the point in their career where they would want to jump at any P5 job. A 63 yo HC on the tail end of their career can afford to be picky.

I'd be all in if he was the guy. But A Clockwork Orange who I think is close to that program rightly noted that place sorta sells itself. 46 instate kids and that pool keeps on getting easily replenished in a state with really good upper mid major type talent. Feeder high schools and all of that, regarldess of coach.

That’s why Dino needs to be fired before the season is over. If we get beat at home vs. BC next week it would be the perfect time and a message to the fan base that we do actually care about winning. Rocky can coach out the season. We need to be ready to go after our guy as soon as possible considering the portal and recruiting. There is absolutely no reason to hang on to Dino so he can go through the motions and get canned at the end of the season anyways.

even when we were good we always had below average offensive lines. Just look at all the NFL guys during that period and only a couple were offensive lineman. Recently on Pugh and Bergeron are on NFL rosters and i don’t think anyone else was really close. Marrone’s teams consistently had the best OL’s and i don’t think it’s a coincidence he was an OL guy.
Yep but even Marrones were average. It's just we were below average so long that they seemed way better. It's not a knock to him either. Lifting a line from below average to average is a lift but still would love a coach who can come in and develop a strong oline. I get it, much easier said than done but to me reputation around development of oline would be top 3 criteria for me if I was hiring.

Yep but even Marrones were average. It's just we were below average so long that they seemed way better. It's not a knock to him either. Lifting a line from below average to average is a lift but still would love a coach who can come in and develop a strong oline. I get it, much easier said than done but to me reputation around development of oline would be top 3 criteria for me if I was hiring.
I don’t know about that. Nassib’s junior year and senior years were pretty damn good lines. Here’s 2011:

T - Pugh (3 year starter, 3 time all BE selection, 2011 & 2012 All BE 1st team, NFL first round pick)
G - Tiller (2 year starter, 2011 All BE 1st team and NFL draftee)
C - Macky (3 year starter, All ACC 2nd team as a senior in 2013)
G - Chibane (3 year starter 2010-2012)
T - Hay (2 year starter 2010/2011)

2012 replaced Hay with Hickey and Tiller with I think Trudo maybe. Can’t remember.

Not sure why people are suggesting Chesney would be able to make that big of a jump as a HC. Moorhead was extremely successful at Fordham and took a P5 coordinator job to get into big boy football. Why not the same for Chesney? Bring in a more experienced FBS coach as HC, hire Chesney as a coordinator. He can’t be making much money at HC.

Not sure why people are suggesting Chesney would be able to make that big of a jump as a HC. Moorhead was extremely successful at Fordham and took a P5 coordinator job to get into big boy football. Why not the same for Chesney? Bring in a more experienced FBS coach as HC, hire Chesney as a coordinator. He can’t be making much money at HC.
Yeah. We need to be thinking bigger for HC. You can bring him in as DC, but not head coach where he has never done it in FBS.

Mullen is the guy with Lewis a distant second.

I don’t know about that. Nassib’s junior year and senior years were pretty damn good lines. Here’s 2011:

T - Pugh (3 year starter, 3 time all BE selection, 2011 & 2012 All BE 1st team, NFL first round pick)
G - Tiller (2 year starter, 2011 All BE 1st team and NFL draftee)
C - Macky (3 year starter, All ACC 2nd team as a senior in 2013)
G - Chibane (3 year starter 2010-2012)
T - Hay (2 year starter 2010/2011)

2012 replaced Hay with Hickey and Tiller with I think Trudo maybe. Can’t remember.
Tep no doubt Pugh was really good and his NFL selection is enough said. Macky was still smaller for a Center. His snaps were consistent and I recall he was pretty good in pass protection but was not a strong run blocker and recall him having a hard time with bull rushes. Hay was a flag waiting to happen every play. Honestly don't recall Chibane or Tiller much. Tiller was a Juco I think, big kid out of the city. Trudo had a great freshman year but then never performed the same and I think lost his starting job at one point. Again was not knocking the progress made from below average to average, that's a lift like I said. But again they were going to look great compared to prior olines we had. Just my opinion. Marrones oline were the best in 23 years but the word "best " is relative to the data set.

2011, 2012, and the mark he left on the OL in 2013 were some of the best OL’s we had. Jerome Smith ran for over 1,000 yards in both years basically using the same running play. Even PTG had 700+ rushing yards in 2012 and Nassib had an amazing Sr year.

Don't have a list, but have a resume

Must haves:
- Head coaching experience
- Dynamic speaker that can bring immediate excitement to the program
- Direct relationships in core recruiting areas or with assistant coaches who have such relationships
- Not a transitional hire. Young enough to be a potential 8 - 10 year guy but with ties to the area or program that might keep him from considering it a stepping stone job.
- Strong network of mentors / colleagues he can call on for outside opinions if needed
- Experience and full understanding of transfer portal strategy and mechanics
- Ability to energize donors to maximize NIL resources

Nice to haves:
- Personal or family ties to Syracuse University or Upstate NY
- Ability to relate to culturally diverse player pool
- Some level of NFL experience either directly, or in previous experience in a program that has a striong record of developing sending players to the league.

We need a guy who can win here. Everything else will follow from that.

2011, 2012, and the mark he left on the OL in 2013 were some of the best OL’s we had. Jerome Smith ran for over 1,000 yards in both years basically using the same running play. Even PTG had 700+ rushing yards in 2012 and Nassib had an amazing Sr year.
Again I am not arguing that. That said Syracuse offense was ranked 99th in 2012 and 56th in 2013.

No real argument other than I am not sure Mullen is any great shakes at this point. Lewis is the new board favorite which makes me feel he will stink. He’s joe Moorhead part 2. The forum is 100% always wrong with this stuff. Hoping wildhack has a good list of people to consult with when it comes to hiring new coach. What cuseguy69bonghit says means nothing

As a veteran of the post Schwartzwalder, post Maloney, post McPherson, post Pasqualoni, post Robinson, post Marrone and post Shafer maelstrom of candidacies, I'd says it's about 40-60 that it will be someone mentioned in this thread or somebody nobody is talking about.

Definitely should be considered.
As a veteran of the post Schwartzwalder, post Maloney, post McPherson, post Pasqualoni, post Robinson, post Marrone and post Shafer maelstrom of candidacies, I'd says it's about 40-60 that it will be someone mentioned in this thread or somebody nobody is talking about.
yeah and whoever it is I’ll be all in and hoping for the best. I guess with the portal there will most likely be a lot of movement going both directions. Definitely time for a change though, the lows are just too low

Again I am not arguing that. That said Syracuse offense was ranked 99th in 2012 and 56th in 2013.
I have a tough time believing the Syracuse offense lead by nassib in his senior year finished the season ranked 99th. Team averaged just under 30 points a game and racked up some pretty good numbers

He seems to check a lot of boxes.
Welll he is checking the box of costing me $$ today, 10 point favorites and they are going to lose outright it appears.

Welll he is checking the box of costing me $$ today, 10 point favorites and they are going to lose outright it appears.

Yeah. If he loses today, cross him off the list! :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom