Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

If this is who he hires out of everyone I’ll be so bummed. Should be an extensive search and resorting to Babers tree would be a disappointment
They have a track record well beyond Babers though.

For those who don't want to read through 10 pages, here are the coaches whose names have been mentioned so far, (some more seriously than others):

Steve Addazio
Stephen Belichick “or Bill”
“Bologna Burps” (who I assume to be Greg Schiano)
Art Briles
Troy Calhoun
Pete Carroll
Jamey Chadwell
Bob Chesney
Curt Cignetti
Frank Cignetti Jr.
Shawn Clark
Liam Coen
Tom Coughlin
Chris Creighton
Ryan Day
Manny Diaz
Kirk Ferentz
Willie Fritz
Jason Garrett
Nathaniel Hackett
Jim Harbaugh
“Brain” Hartline
Clay Helton
Tyson Helton
Tom Herman
Jimmy Johnson
Paul Johnson
KC Keeler
Chip Kelly
Kliff Kingsbury
G.J. Kinne
Andy Kotelnicki
Ted Lasso and Coach Beard
Lance Leipold
Sean Lewis
Phil Longo
Andy Ludwig
Gus Malzahn
Doug Marrone
Bronco Mendenhall
Jeff Monken (0-62)
Joe Moörehead
Sherrone Moore
Dan Mullen
Urban Meyer
Bill O’Brien
Ed Orgeron
Justin Outten
Paul Pasqualone
Matt Patricia
Bo Pelini
Joe Philbin
Chris Peterson
Ricky Rahne
Tommy Reese
Rich Rodriguez
Lincoln Riley
Nick Saban
someone from the Shanahan tree
JaMarcus Shephard
Ryan Silverfield
Kirby Smart
Bob Stoops
Dabo Swinney
Jeff Traylor
Ben Weitzman
Ken Whisenhunt
Tony White

I have a tough time believing the Syracuse offense lead by nassib in his senior year finished the season ranked 99th. Team averaged just under 30 points a game and racked up some pretty good numbers
I went to sport reference. com. Looked legit. Not trying to provide false information or anything. They have total offense rankings for each year. If not accurate my apologies. So 18th and 94th. Top 25 one year and top 100 the other year though asterisk with top 40 run game. So the data suggests the line was better than I thought for one season. So I will rephrase my original comment to Syracuse has had 1 above average oline in 23 years and yes Marrone for 1 year out of his 4 with Syracuse gave us 1 season of above average oline and the rest basically average or below. Edit: So to clarify I still want a coach who can come in with a reputation of building inside out with strong oline and dline.

Go and get Chesney before BC does.
Repeat 4 times to fill up my top 5
Shy kids don’t get treats

Chesney raised by a father who coached football. This stuff to me matters. He’s a football lifer.

It’s a risk to hire a d1aa guy. I get that but what on earth do we have to lose. If it blows up then you blow it up again. But if he’s the guy, we finally cook again.

I went to sport reference. com. Looked legit. Not trying to provide false information or anything. They have total offense rankings for each year. If not accurate my apologies. So 18th and 94th. Top 25 one year and top 100 the other year though asterisk with top 40 run game. So the data suggests the line was better than I thought for one season. So I will rephrase my original comment to Syracuse has had 1 above average oline in 23 years and yes Marrone for 1 year out of his 4 with Syracuse gave us 1 season of above average oline and the rest basically average or below. Edit: So to clarify I still want a coach who can come in with a reputation of building inside out with strong oline and dline.

Marrone and Hackett created a new passing game for 2012 that was superior to anything we've had since, including Babers' teams. Ryan threw for 3,749 yards and 26TDs that year. Neither Dungey or Shrader has ever reached 3,000 or 20TDs. Alec Lemon had 72 catches for 1,070 yards and 7 scores while Marcus Sales had 64/882 and 8 while Jarrod West added 43/588/2 and Beckett Wales 35/389/2. Nassib, Lemon and Sales were all seniors so Shafer turned to the running game the next year. Marrone had good O-lines and so did Shafer until they got wiped out by injuries in 2014 but 2012 was when we had the great passing attack, (one that included passes over the middle that were other than slants or bombs) .

I show 2012 as 17th in average yards per game, 29th in average passing yards per game, and 40th in average rushing yards per game. That’s at NCAA reference.

I show 2012 as 17th in average yards per game, 29th in average passing yards per game, and 40th in average rushing yards per game. That’s at NCAA reference.

In 2012 our strength of schedule was far worse than any season since sans 2019. I get people love Marrone but he had 3 of the 4 weakest schedules since P was fired to date. Let's not revisit this ... he wouldn't be much better than Dino in the ACC. If you look at the seasons post Marrone the next weakest was Dino's 2018 season ...

I have liked him for awhile and he is extremely under the radar: Chuck Martin.

He will have connections to Ohio recruiting which is nice.

The prior tenure to his Miami went 4-8 (3-5), 4-8 (3-5), 0-12 (0-8). So he took over crap. After his 1st two years he is 47-42 (37-19) with 2 division titles and 1 conference title. For comparison Candle is 39-19 in conference winning his division twice and the conference twice.

He doesn't have any major OOC Ws, but the conference record is pretty impressive. He has beaten on the road Cincy and Northwestern in the last 2 seasons.

Before Miami he was OC at Notre Dame under Kelly, who he eventually followed from Grand Valley State. While a HC there he won 2 titles, made another Final, and another Final Four. From 2005-09 he lost only 1 regular season game and 3 games total. During that span he won 40 straight games a DII record.

He has a similar background as Brian Kelly. he obviously can coach. No clue if he could recruit at a P4 level though.

Marrone and Hackett created a new passing game for 2012 that was superior to anything we've had since, including Babers' teams. Ryan threw for 3,749 yards and 26TDs that year. Neither Dungey or Shrader has ever reached 3,000 or 20TDs. Alec Lemon had 72 catches for 1,070 yards and 7 scores while Marcus Sales had 64/882 and 8 while Jarrod West added 43/588/2 and Beckett Wales 35/389/2. Nassib, Lemon and Sales were all seniors so Shafer turned to the running game the next year. Marrone had good O-lines and so did Shafer until they got wiped out by injuries in 2014 but 2012 was when we had the great passing attack, (one that included passes over the middle that were other than slants or bombs) .
I still think that was West’s best year overall. He had more yards as a senior though.

This. If he isn’t the first guy JW calls I will not be happy and I don’t give a crap that he is older, the dude has like a 110-20 career record, or something like that.
He has a Doug type feel to him. Tough, no crap task master. Watch him during a game. He is all over it. Very engaged. Intense.

For those who don't want to read through 10 pages, here are the coaches whose names have been mentioned so far, (some more seriously than others):

Steve Addazio
Art Briles
Troy Calhoun
Pete Carroll
Jamey Chadwell
Bob Chesney
Curt Cignetti
Frank Cignetti Jr.
Shawn Clark
Liam Coen
Tom Coughlin
Chris Creighton
Ryan Day
Manny Diaz
Kirk Ferentz
Willie Fritz
Jason Garrett
Nathaniel Hackett
Jim Harbaugh
“Brain” Hartline
Clay Helton
Tyson Helton
Tom Herman
Jimmy Johnson
Paul Johnson
KC Keeler
Chip Kelly
Kliff Kingsbury
G.J. Kinne
Andy Kotelnicki
Lance Leipold
Sean Lewis
Phil Longo
Andy Ludwig
Gus Malzahn
Doug Marrone
Bronco Mendenhall
Jeff Monken (0-62)
Joe Moörehead
Sherrone Moore
Dan Mullen
Urban Meyer
Bill O’Brien
Ed Orgeron
Justin Outten
Paul Pasqualone
Matt Patricia
Bo Pelini
Joe Philbin
Chris Peterson
Ricky Rahne
Tommy Reese
Rich Rodriguez
Lincoln Riley
Nick Saban
JaMarcus Shephard
Ryan Silverfield
Kirby Smart
Bob Stoops
Dabo Swinney
Jeff Traylor
Ben Weitzman
Ken Whisenhunt
Tony White

Boiling that down to the guys I didn’t immediately know:

Stephen Belichick age 36 New England Patriots outside LB coach
Stephen Belichick - Wikipedia
Troy Calhoun age 57 HC at Air Force
Troy Calhoun - Wikipedia
Jamey Chadwell age 46 HC at Liberty
Jamey Chadwell - Wikipedia
Bob Chesney age 46 HC at Holy Cross
Bob Chesney - Wikipedia
Curt Cignetti age 62 HC at James Madison
Frank Cignetti Jr. age 58 Pitt OC & QB coach
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Cignetti_Jr.
Shawn Clark age 48 HC at Appalachian State
Shawn Clark - Wikipedia
Liam Coen age 37 Kentucky OC & QB coach
Liam Coen - Wikipedia
Chris Creighton age 54 HC at Eastern Michigan
Chris Creighton - Wikipedia
Brian Hartline age 36 Ohio State Offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach
Brian Hartline - Wikipedia
Clay Helton age 51 former USC HC, now at Georgia Southern
Clay Helton - Wikipedia
Tyson Helton age 46 HC at Western Kentucky
Tyson Helton - Wikipedia
G.J. Kinne age 34 HC at Texas State
G. J. Kinne - Wikipedia
Andy Kotelnicki age not given (but graduated in 2003) OC at Kansas
Andy Kotelnicki - Wikipedia
Phil Longo age 55 OC & QB coach at Wisconsin
Phil Longo - Wikipedia
Andy Ludwig age 59 Utah OC
Andy Ludwig - Wikipedia
Chuck Martin age 55 HC at Mimai University
Joe Moorhead age 49 HC at Akron, previously at Mississippi State
Joe Moorhead - Wikipedia
Sherrone Moore age 37 OC/OL coach at Michigan- was interim HC during Jim Harbaugh’s suspension
Sherrone Moore - Wikipedia
Justin Outten age 40 Titans Running backs coach & run game coordinator (give the ball to Derrick Henry!) Also former SU center and GA.
Justin Outten - Wikipedia
Joe Philbin age 62 ‘Offensive analyst‘ for Ohio State after many years as an NFL assistant
Joe Philbin - Wikipedia
Chris Peterson age 59 HC at Washington, previously at Boise State
Chris Petersen - Wikipedia
Ricky Rahne age 43 HC at Old Dominion
Ricky Rahne - Wikipedia
“Tommy Reese”, who I assume is Tommy Rees, age 31, Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach at Alabama
Tommy Rees (American football) - Wikipedia
“Marcus Shephard”, who I assume is JaMarcus Shephard age 40, associate head coach, passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach at the University of Washington.
JaMarcus Shephard - Wikipedia
Ryan Silverfield age 43, HC at Memphis
Ryan Silverfield - Wikipedia
Jeff Traylor, age 55, HC at Texas-An Antonio
Jeff Traylor - Wikipedia
Ken Whisenhunt age 61 former Cardinals and Titans HC, now “Special assistant to the head coach” at Alabama

Last edited:

Steve Addazio
Art Briles
Troy Calhoun
Pete Carroll
Jamey Chadwell
Bob Chesney
Curt Cignetti
Frank Cignetti Jr.
Shawn Clark
Liam Coen
Tom Coughlin
Chris Creighton
Ryan Day
Manny Diaz
Kirk Ferentz
Willie Fritz
Jason Garrett
Nathaniel Hackett
Jim Harbaugh
“Brain” Hartline
Clay Helton
Tyson Helton
Tom Herman
Jimmy Johnson
Paul Johnson
KC Keeler
Chip Kelly
Kliff Kingsbury
G.J. Kinne
Andy Kotelnicki
Lance Leipold
Sean Lewis
Phil Longo
Andy Ludwig
Gus Malzahn
Doug Marrone
Bronco Mendenhall
Jeff Monken (0-62)
Joe Moörehead
Sherrone Moore
Dan Mullen
Urban Meyer
Bill O’Brien
Ed Orgeron
Justin Outten
Paul Pasqualone
Matt Patricia
Bo Pelini
Joe Philbin
Chris Peterson
Ricky Rahne
Tommy Reese
Rich Rodriguez
Lincoln Riley
Nick Saban
JaMarcus Shephard
Ryan Silverfield
Kirby Smart
Bob Stoops
Dabo Swinney
Jeff Traylor
Ben Weitzman
Ken Whisenhunt
Tony White
outstanding dedication and research

They just put a graphic up about all the transfers Georgia tech brought in. A guy from Texas A&M just threw a TD pass to a guy from Georgia. Maybe the key requirement for our next coach is experience working the portal and a willingness to to take a deep dive into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom