Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

didn't think FCS schools, particularly Patriot League schools, had IPFs, is this a normal thing for FCS, much less the Patriot League?

I think you need to keep in mind that for Holy Cross, the NE is a great recruiting ground. Outside of PA and NJ, for Syracuse, not so much. And I’m not saying that in the context that there isn’t talent here. I’m saying it in the context that there is a lot more talent in this region to support a FCS program than there is a P5 program. And the kids a guy like Chesney really needs to land to move the needle from the NE largely haven’t been coming here for the better part of 20 years.

So I personally think we’re better off with a proven P5 guy who can turn the program around and have the juice to start landing some of the kids that we’ve struggled with and then when he’s ready to move on hand the keys to a guy like Chesney who is hungry and can continue the path, with Syracuse already being a winner and a known name.

I like Chesney but I just don’t think it’s the right time for a coach like him.
Fair take Tep, you thinking Mullen? Who else?

I think you need to keep in mind that for Holy Cross, the NE is a great recruiting ground. Outside of PA and NJ, for Syracuse, not so much. And I’m not saying that in the context that there isn’t talent here. I’m saying it in the context that there is a lot more talent in this region to support a FCS program than there is a P5 program. And the kids a guy like Chesney really needs to land to move the needle from the NE largely haven’t been coming here for the better part of 20 years.

So I personally think we’re better off with a proven P5 guy who can turn the program around and have the juice to start landing some of the kids that we’ve struggled with and then when he’s ready to move on hand the keys to a guy like Chesney who is hungry and can continue the path, with Syracuse already being a winner and a known name.

I like Chesney but I just don’t think it’s the right time for a coach like him.
I have written this before. Syracuse, since Babers arrived has no recruiting traction in the traditional recruiting base:

Look at 2023 recruiting in the former recruiting base:

Syracuse got:

0 of the top 10 recruits in CT
0 of the top 5 recruits in DC
0 of the top 30 recruits in MD
0 of the top 10 recruits in MA
1 of the top 30 recruits in NJ
2 of the top 10 recruits in NY
0 of the top 30 recruits in PA

Some on the board may disagree, but I think the best recruits Syracuse can get are in the recruiting base and that is how you make Syracuse more competitive with the top ACC schools.

Chesney is already recruiting in these states and high schools and he has been for years. He just wasn't getting the top recruits for a FCS program., but he has the contacts with the coaches. Plus, he has recruited Florida and Texas at Holy Cross.

Syracuse is not able to hire a successful P5 head coach, except for maybe Mullen. Only the very top P5 programs can pull off a successful P5 hire. If you are Syracuse, you have to take a risk and I think you would rather bet on a successful head coach than an assistant coach.

After further examination my new top 3 is:

Tom Herman - Ohio guy
Bob Chesney - Is he ready
Justin Outten - Marrone 2.0? Understands landscape
Tom Herman is interesting….

I have written this before. Syracuse, since Babers arrived has no recruiting traction in the traditional recruiting base:

Look at 2023 recruiting in the former recruiting base:

Syracuse got:

0 of the top 10 recruits in CT
0 of the top 5 recruits in DC
0 of the top 30 recruits in MD
0 of the top 10 recruits in MA
1 of the top 30 recruits in NJ
2 of the top 10 recruits in NY
0 of the top 30 recruits in PA

Some on the board may disagree, but I think the best recruits Syracuse can get are in the recruiting base and that is how you make Syracuse more competitive with the top ACC schools.

Chesney is already recruiting in these states and high schools and he has been for years. He just wasn't getting the top recruits for a FCS program., but he has the contacts with the coaches. Plus, he has recruited Florida and Texas at Holy Cross.

Syracuse is not able to hire a successful P5 head coach, except for maybe Mullen. Only the very top P5 programs can pull off a successful P5 hire. If you are Syracuse, you have to take a risk and I think you would rather bet on a successful head coach than an assistant coach.
There is definitely talent in the region the program can use, but that talent over the past 20 years has primarily gone to OSU, ND, Michigan, Clemson, PSU, FSU, Miami and the SEC. And unless a coach can consistently win 7-10 games a year, make us nationally relevant and an ACC competitor, then the top tier talent from the NE will continue to go to the schools I previously mentioned. It’s already been proven when Marrone was here that for the top talent, relationships really don’t matter. The kids want the glitz and glam and go after that type of profile of school. We see it every single year, even when we have kids that are legacies.

If Cheaney can make us nationally relevant and a consistent ACC competitor, then he’ll start plucking some of that top talent. And if he doesn’t, he won’t, I don’t care how strong his relationships are in the NE.

Hackett is an interesting one. I wanted him over Shafer the last time. I discount the broncos dumpster fire. Aaron Rodgers swears by him.
If it was a year or two from now, I'd say bring Hackett with Rodgers as QB coach, as Aaron is allegedly embracing his mentor role with the Motherlover.

Not feasible for many reasons, so don't waste replies about those two. But if we can't get a big name at the top, someone with the coaching chops who could also pull a recently retired NFL star as an assistant that would draw recruits/transfers might be the next best option. A budget Deion strategy.

Last edited:
Many of the coaches mentioned on here don’t seem to be picks that would move the needle in my opinion m. Spend the money and get a name coach Ed was mentioned I feel we need a coach who’s been a head coach in college already at a former power 5 school and I wouldn’t settle for anything less

Tom Herman - Ohio guy
I like the first 2 but I don't see that there is any indication that Justin understands the landscape. He hasn't been in college since he played and was a GA in 2007 for one season. A lot has changed since he was here.

Tom Herman - Ohio guy

Ill add a couple more

Tom Herman
Clay Helton- Down in GA
Dan Mullen
Bob Chesney

I don't want either but between the two give me White. Lewis seems like a good O mind but he hasn't proven he can be a HC. Also every team he has been a part of their D has been awful. That isn't a good sign.
He literally won at a school that had been a bottom dweller forever - and recruited talent to a school with the worst facilities in the MAC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom