Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

Whoever hired Leipold at UB was smart and yes he's not coming to syracuse. I think he stays at Kansas. We should have hired him instead of Shafer but that would have taken a tremendous amount of brainpower by somebody. I can't complain I thought Dino was a great hire

If ever a coach were to have a few good years at Syracuse he will be sought after like a walmart deal on Black Friday but that will be a good problem to have
Danny White hired him at UB who I wish we hired as AD. Instead he is at UCF and hired Gus.

Sorry - upon further review he is now at Tenn after being at UCF

Stan Drayton hasn't done enough at Temple to warrant a P5 head job but he was at one time known as a power recruiter.

Last edited:
Stan Drayton hasn't done enough at Temple to warrant a P5 head job but he was at one time known as a power recruiter.

And that’s potentially a good choice to add to a staff, especially if the head coach we hire doesn’t have recruiting roots in Maine, NH, and Vermont like people are looking for. But you make him recruiting coordinator and assistant HC.

A quick Google search says he makes 546k base salary so he would be leaving a ton of money on the table to not even take the phone call
Yep, and the coach at ODU makes 750K. They have not updated his salary yet since the SBC money isn't officially coming in yet. He's going to be over $1 million.

If you said cignetti laughed that’s a different story. He’ll never win anything at JMU so assuming the money is right you can get in the playoff at Syracuse.
The new 12-team playoff format will give them every opportunity. I'm not saying Cignetti is staying at JMU forever, but he's not leaving for Syracuse.

I'm almost positive he'll be pulling in more than $1 million a year at JMU. The coach at ODU is making 750K, and they aren't in the same realm as JMU's football program.

You're saying there is no offset clause?
No, but if there is, it could only impact $4M max.

4 years at $4M(+?) would easily offset that if you want to coach again and get another shot at a top role.

Perhaps he’d prefer another opportunity, or more $, or wait another year.

For some offensive minded coaches, the Dome, its flat field and Loud House of fans would be a great match.

If we don’t reach out to him, or similar candidates, then I’d be very disappointed.

No, but if there is, it could only impact $4M max.

4 years at $4M(+?) would easily offset that if you want to coach again and get another shot at a top role.

Perhaps he’d prefer another opportunity, or more $, or wait another year.

For some offensive minded coaches, the Dome, its flat field and Loud House of fans would be a great match.

If we don’t reach out to him, or similar candidates, then I’d be very disappointed.
Agreed

Yeah I had Dino third on my list in 2015 behind Brohm and Campbell, just turned out that the Dino we hired became lame and a different guy after he got his extension
My number 1 was Matt Campbell, 2 was Dino and I liked Todd Monken as a dark horse. Monken won 9 games at Southern Miss his 3rd year but then went to the NFL and has been an OC there since.

My number 1 was Matt Campbell, 2 was Dino and I liked Todd Monken as a dark horse. Monken won 9 games at Southern Miss his 3rd year but then went to the NFL and has been an OC there since.
My first and only choice was Babers but I really was impressed with Campbell.

My first and only choice was Babers but I really was impressed with Campbell.
He hasn’t set the world on fire if you look at his overall W/L but Iowa State was the absolute P5 pits so I give him a lot of credit for what he’s done there.

He hasn’t set the world on fire if you look at his overall W/L but Iowa State was the absolute P5 pits so I give him a lot of credit for what he’s done there.
I think they gave him a 10-year contract.

I’ve heard rumors Monken isn’t interested in being college football HC (and everything that comes with it, given what he can be paid as an OC) again, and thus the move to the NFL

The new 12-team playoff format will give them every opportunity. I'm not saying Cignetti is staying at JMU forever, but he's not leaving for Syracuse.

I'm almost positive he'll be pulling in more than $1 million a year at JMU. The coach at ODU is making 750K, and they aren't in the same realm as JMU's football program.

I agree and the 12 team playoff opens the door but mostly for the P5.

We’re paying 4m for a coach now and where we go with $ will be interesting for sure.

8 years only 2 losing seasons. Winning record, winning conference record. At a place as tough to win as anywhere.

Since the year 2000, Iowa State only had 5 winning seasons before Campbell. That’s from 2000-2015. Only 5 winning seasons. Campbell has had 6 winners in 8 years since he took over.

That’s fantastic. Maybe we should actually try and poach him. Sometimes guys want a change of scenery.

8 years only 2 losing seasons. Winning record, winning conference record. At a place as tough to win as anywhere.

Since the year 2000, Iowa State only had 5 winning seasons before Campbell. That’s from 2000-2015. Only 5 winning seasons. Campbell has had 6 winners in 8 years since he took over.

That’s fantastic. Maybe we should actually try and poach him. Sometimes guys want a change of scenery.
I would take him tomorrow. But that would go against the grain of targeting P5 coordinators or FCS guys so probably not.

I’ve heard rumors Monken isn’t interested in being college football HC (and everything that comes with it, given what he can be paid as an OC) again, and thus the move to the NFL
It would make sense - but he did go back to Georgia as an OC for a few years recently before going back to the NFL. But not as a HC though.

I still think he’d be a great candidate, but you can’t make a guy want to do a job he’d be pretty good at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom