Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

Charlie Brown Football GIF

Would be interesting
I had no idea who he was when i heard his name mentioned. ND OC during the playoff year. Looks to be a good recruiter. Affordable, Great experience, winner, turned MO around. I like the age. I like that the guy seems like a solid coach. Not a retread and not a first time HC

I had no idea who he was when i heard his name mentioned. ND OC during the playoff year. Looks to be a good recruiter. Affordable, Great experience, winner, turned MO around. I like the age. I like that the guy seems like a solid coach. Not a retread and not a first time HC
Miami was an 0-12 trainwreck when he took over. Good coach, would be an excellent candidate

Miami was an 0-12 trainwreck when he took over. Good coach, would be an excellent candidate

Martin is a really solid HC. Not sure he is anything more than that though. He and Candle seem like clones, except Candle is a dozen years younger. Both seem headed to a rematch in the MAC CG. Candle got the better of him in Oxford already (21-17, was 21-3 at half and 21-17 going into 4th Q). Tough to put Martin ahead at the moment.

In the Dino era, MAC records:
Martin 38-19, 2 Divisions Titles (will have 3 with one more W), 1 Conference Title
Candle 41-19 (more games due to Covid), 3 Divisions (including this season), 2 Conference (and one was last year)

Neither has done anything OOC. Martin does have Grand Valley State, which one could argue is actually more impressive than his time at Miami. He also has been part of a P5 program before, and one would think some familiarity with the Northeast given his time at ND. Candle is somehow still only 43.

Chuck Martin looks like a name thrown out there to make Tony White sound like a better hire. Just to play a little devil’s advocate on Chuck Martin:

53-61 Overall Record at Miami (OH)
1-3 Bowl Record

2023 Total Offense - 95th (Syracuse is 91st)

Recruiting Classes
2015 - 74th
2016 - 87th
2017 - 93rd
2018 - 128th
2019 - 90th
2020 - 91st
2021 - 90th
2022 - 89th
2023 - 112th

2-11 Record against P5 teams (includes win against Cincinnati this year)

He’s probably the 3rd best Ohio based MAC school coaching candidate.

Was Dan Mullen the other one?

Martin is a really solid HC. Not sure he is anything more than that though. He and Candle seem like clones, except Candle is a dozen years younger. Both seem headed to a rematch in the MAC CG. Candle got the better of him in Oxford already (21-17, was 21-3 at half and 21-17 going into 4th Q). Tough to put Martin ahead at the moment.

In the Dino era, MAC records:
Martin 38-19, 2 Divisions Titles (will have 3 with one more W), 1 Conference Title
Candle 41-19 (more games due to Covid), 3 Divisions (including this season), 2 Conference (and one was last year)

Neither has done anything OOC. Martin does have Grand Valley State, which one could argue is actually more impressive than his time at Miami. He also has been part of a P5 program before, and one would think some familiarity with the Northeast given his time at ND. Candle is somehow still only 43.
If you throw out his first two years there (which is fair) he’s basically a .500 coach at Miami U. Killed it at the D2 level at Grand Valley State.

Best year happens to be right now at 8-2 while we’re on the verge of a coaching search. That’s dangerous. We already played that song with Dino.

Chuck Martin looks like a name thrown out there to make Tony White sound like a better hire. Just to play a little devil’s advocate on Chuck Martin:

53-61 Overall Record at Miami (OH)
1-3 Bowl Record

2023 Total Offense - 95th (Syracuse is 91st)

Recruiting Classes
2015 - 74th
2016 - 87th
2017 - 93rd
2018 - 128th
2019 - 90th
2020 - 91st
2021 - 90th
2022 - 89th
2023 - 112th

2-11 Record against P5 teams (includes win against Cincinnati this year)

He’s probably the 3rd best Ohio based MAC school coaching candidate.
If we hired Martin, I would be thoroughly unexcited about the future of the program. He's not even the best MAC candidate. Like what would there be to get excited about?

If you throw out his first two years there (which is fair) he’s basically a .500 coach at Miami U. Killed it at the D2 level at Grand Valley State.

Best year happens to be right now at 8-2 while we’re on the verge of a coaching search. That’s dangerous. We already played that song with Dino.

He Ws two thirds of his games in the MAC over the prior 8 seasons. You have to give him credit for that. His overall record is weak because of his OOC woes. Dino had no real track record.

Anytime we type “we already did that with Dino” we should remember that he wasn’t a bad hire at the time and it largely worked out through 3 seasons. That it didn’t after that sucks, but this is a hard job. We don’t need to avoid MAC coaches or tempo guys or offensive minds, etc.

Find the best guy we can. Don’t worry about comparisons to Babers.

Anytime we type “we already did that with Dino” we should remember that he wasn’t a bad hire at the time and it largely worked out through 3 seasons. That it didn’t after that sucks, but this is a hard job. We don’t need to avoid MAC coaches or tempo guys or offensive minds, etc.

Find the best guy we can. Don’t worry about comparisons to Babers.

The action of hiring Dino or extending Dino was not wrong. The contract given though was wrong.

IMO if a school cannot reasonably afford the buyout, they should not offer the contract. If that means the HC leaves, you have no choice because you are poor.

So let's say SU can afford up to an $8 M buyout (made up number). For a HC wanting $5M-$8M we cannot offer more than a 4 year contract/extension. A HC wanting $3M-$4M we can offer a 5 year contract/extension.

Ball parking it (give or take but likely more take), Dino was around $2.5M for 6 years and after 2018 wanted around $5M with 3 added years. SU should have only added 1 year, but would have had to likely pay more (maybe a $0.5M-$1M bump). Which means SU could have afforded to walk away after 2021.

If that is the state of our program then so be it. Don't pretend to be something you are not. Spending above what we can afford is not wise. A good HC can always leave (look at Notre Dame). Overpaying will only cause harm.

The action of hiring Dino or extending Dino was not wrong. The contract given though was wrong.

IMO if a school cannot reasonably afford the buyout, they should not offer the contract. If that means the HC leaves, you have no choice because you are poor.

So let's say SU can afford up to an $8 M buyout (made up number). For a HC wanting $5M-$8M we cannot offer more than a 4 year contract/extension. A HC wanting $3M-$4M we can offer a 5 year contract/extension.

Ball parking it (give or take but likely more take), Dino was around $2.5M for 6 years and after 2018 wanted around $5M with 3 added years. SU should have only added 1 year, but would have had to likely pay more (maybe a $0.5M-$1M bump). Which means SU could have afforded to walk away after 2021.

If that is the state of our program then so be it. Don't pretend to be something you are not. Spending above what we can afford is not wise. A good HC can always leave (look at Notre Dame). Overpaying will only cause harm.

The AD had a once in a forever financial problem in 2020 that too many here just seem to come up with creative accounting to avoid it. There is dead money littered all over sports, teams carrying guys with guaranteed contracts.

And frankly a 5-7 year with so many games going to the buzzer isn't getting him fired.

The AD had a once in a forever financial problem in 2020 that too many here just seem to come up with creative accounting to avoid it. There is dead money littered all over sports, teams carrying guys with guaranteed contracts.

And frankly a 5-7 year with so many games going to the buzzer isn't getting him fired.
So another year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom