Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

Totally uninspiring

All kidding aside what would inspire you? Maybe Chesney is a stud, maybe he's a latter day Mark Duffner (hot HC guy who went to Maryland, got overwhelmed, and is a career assistant).

Personally I want a guy who's coached at this level and recruited our general turf. It's boring but don't think this is a razzle dazzle job...

The AD had a once in a forever financial problem in 2020 that too many here just seem to come up with creative accounting to avoid it. There is dead money littered all over sports, teams carrying guys with guaranteed contracts.

And frankly a 5-7 year with so many games going to the buzzer isn't getting him fired.

Other schools fired their HC for their 2020 performances. If you want to say SU is different, then that backs my main point. Don't offer contracts like a real program if you are not willing to get out of that contract like a real program. I am 100% fine with that. Be transparent vs trying to pretend we are something we are not. The charade SU is playing is a disservice to the program and fanbase.

Miami Ohio is a small higher level academic school playing in The Mac east against 2nd tier state schools with much lower entrance requirements. Solich at Ohio, Fleck at WMU, Liepold at UB Clawson/Babers at Bowling Green all had huge advantages over Chuck Martins Miami teams built in.

Other schools fired their HC for their 2020 performances. If you want to say SU is different, then that backs my main point. Don't offer contracts like a real program if you are not willing to get out of that contract like a real program. I am 100% fine with that. Be transparent vs trying to pretend we are something we are not. The charade SU is playing is a disservice to the program and fanbase.

Good for them. COVID did real financial damage, nevermind logistics. Lots of short memories here. This isn't Florida.

All kidding aside what would inspire you? Maybe Chesney is a stud, maybe he's a latter day Mark Duffner (hot HC guy who went to Maryland, got overwhelmed, and is a career assistant).

Personally I want a guy who's coached at this level and recruited our general turf. It's boring but don't think this is a razzle dazzle job...
I think recruiting our general turf is not working out so well.

The action of hiring Dino or extending Dino was not wrong. The contract given though was wrong.

IMO if a school cannot reasonably afford the buyout, they should not offer the contract. If that means the HC leaves, you have no choice because you are poor.

So let's say SU can afford up to an $8 M buyout (made up number). For a HC wanting $5M-$8M we cannot offer more than a 4 year contract/extension. A HC wanting $3M-$4M we can offer a 5 year contract/extension.

Ball parking it (give or take but likely more take), Dino was around $2.5M for 6 years and after 2018 wanted around $5M with 3 added years. SU should have only added 1 year, but would have had to likely pay more (maybe a $0.5M-$1M bump). Which means SU could have afforded to walk away after 2021.

If that is the state of our program then so be it. Don't pretend to be something you are not. Spending above what we can afford is not wise. A good HC can always leave (look at Notre Dame). Overpaying will only cause harm.
I mean this is arguing a point I wasn’t making. Extending him was correct. I don’t know that I would have given him another chance after 2021. But bringing in Anae and Beck was a good risk and got us bowl eligible.

The risk in not paying market value is that you become a less desirable place - and it’s a hard job to start with.

This is a fair assessment delivered in a way that overstates it relevancy. The AD did fine. We’re fine. Could it have been a better contract extension? Maybe? Whatever. Hindsight is easy.

This is a fair assessment delivered in a way that overstates it relevancy. The AD did fine. We’re fine. Could it have been a better contract extension? Maybe? Whatever. Hindsight is easy.

My point is it shouldn't be hindsight. This is not an SU issue but a CFB issue. These HCs are fleecing these schools with bad contracts.

I mean this is arguing a point I wasn’t making. Extending him was correct. I don’t know that I would have given him another chance after 2021. But bringing in Anae and Beck was a good risk and got us bowl eligible.

The risk in not paying market value is that you become a less desirable place - and it’s a hard job to start with.

SU cannot afford to pay market value. Dino's is still low end in pay. The difference is we committed long term to him. I rather SU pay a HC $6M for a 4 year contract than $4M for a 6 year contract. If SU needs to move on after 3 years the former costs $6M to get out of. The latter will cost $12M and likely be a lower quality HC too given the lower compensation.

Anytime we type “we already did that with Dino” we should remember that he wasn’t a bad hire at the time and it largely worked out through 3 seasons. That it didn’t after that sucks, but this is a hard job. We don’t need to avoid MAC coaches or tempo guys or offensive minds, etc.

Find the best guy we can. Don’t worry about comparisons to Babers.
Amen, Dino changed when he got his extension. Just get the best guy we can

Charlie Brown Football GIF
Well done

If Beverly Hills Cop 2 has taught me anything, it's that Chuck is short for Charles which in Spanish is Carlos so...I'm even more lost.

Agreed 100% But we need to get it closer to par.
This day and age I believe we need to adapt and get better at NIL and portal. Players are constantly moving around. Recruiting is becoming a waste of resources. Focus on the new normal, or we will get left behind. Therefore, go with a splash hire, a name coach and get some buzz going. Someone who the athletes know and has had success as a HC.
ie. Herman or Mullen

This day and age I believe we need to adapt and get better at NIL and portal. Players are constantly moving around. Recruiting is becoming a waste of resources. Focus on the new normal, or we will get left behind. Therefore, go with a splash hire, a name coach and get some buzz going. Someone who the athletes know and has had success as a HC.
ie. Herman or Mullen
Yes but those types have to want the job. We as Syracuse fans are somewhat blind to how hard this job really is. NIL only made/makes it harder. Martin and Golden have experience as head coaches. Both would step in ready to take over and get to work.
Program is in decent shape. Too much at stake to hire a first time splash coach. Name coach isn’t coming here. So what’s the next best option? Someone who is a solid Tier 2 type. To me Martin meets that criteria

Last edited:
So the names being mentioned so far...

AL Golden
Tony White
Chuck Martin

If thats the case I'd rather invest the money into hoops & lax and win some national championships.
Seems as rational as "if I cannot win, I quit."

There are certainly others, but one of the hurdles to winning football games at SU is the overt pessimism of the fans/alumni/town (in no particular order). To be fair, I believe most schools deal with this, but I do wish that there was a way to infuse some hope or optimism outside of hiring Kyle Shanahan or Lincoln Riley (who ain't doing too well at Southern Cal FWIW).

Yes but those types have to want the job. We as Syracuse fans are somewhat blind to how hard this job really is. NIL only made/makes is harder. Martin and Golden have experience as head coaches. Both would step in ready to take over and get to work.
Program is in decent shape. Too much at stake to hire a first time splash coach. Name coach isn’t coming here. So what’s the next best option? Someone who is a solid Tier 2 type. To me Martin meets that criteria
I get that someone has to “want” the job. Who knows unless you at least offer them. Martin and Golden would just be the same ol, same ol. Pretty sure Herman and Mullen, proven winners, could step right in and run a program from day one. At least offer them. Let them say no

ie. Herman or Mullen

A lot of our portal guys come from the traditional footprint / ACC footprint. Don't think it's an either or.

I'd love Mullen because he's both a sober hire and a splash one. He's gotta want to do it though..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom