Give us your top 5 realistic next HC | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Give us your top 5 realistic next HC

going through all of the circulating names and putting them to Wildhack's weird special teams comment (Freudian slip?), and other qualifications, the two guys who meet his preferred qualifications; HC and/or P5 coordinating experience who also have personal Special Teams experience are Chesney and Manny Diaz.
Interesting digging Phat. Chesney is noted for ST play. Holy Cross set school single-season records with 7 blocked kicks, 6 blocked punts and 4 blocked punts returned for touchdowns in 2018

going through all of the circulating names and putting them to Wildhack's weird special teams comment (Freudian slip?), and other qualifications, the two guys who meet his preferred qualifications; HC and/or P5 coordinating experience who also have personal Special Teams experience are Chesney and Manny Diaz.

Both barely meet that criteria. Technically Addazio does too. I wouldn't consider any of them STs guys.

We ready to call Jerry Kill yet?
why not. He's 61, give him a five year deal and hope that he 1) can stay healthy enough to right the ship, and 2) that he has an OC/DC that will come with him and could offer coverage if his health stumbles or could succeed him. He has won everywhere he has coached

Both barely meet that criteria. Technically Addazio does too. I wouldn't consider any of them STs guys.

No one has special team experience. You could punch in 50 qualified names to be a HC and none of them would have ST experience. I actually sort of dismissed the comment because it didn't sound to me like it's required qualification, but a preferred one that he likes, and if a candidate has it better for him. Might move him toward the top.

*exact quote on special teams*
I will add, if there are candidates who have experience in special teams, special teams is critically critically important in football.

So for kicks and giggles, as I said, of all the names kicking around there are two that actually got paid at one point to be special teams coordinators. Chesney and Diaz.

You can add Addazio - that makes 3 - but I've not seen anywhere that he's a valid candidate, and he's 64.

Other touch points on qualifications

(these are all quotes)

-really good leader (its a complex operation)
-really clear communicator
-one who can develop (we're a development school)
-who has an eye for talent
-build a staff (support staff as well)
-represent our values
-background to Syracuse - no direct connection to the 315 - BUT - experience in the Northeast; as a player, coach, assistant coach, I think is important, - those recruiting relationships are important. And then mentions our 4 most successful coaches were Northeast guys - and 'history' can be a good teacher.
-alumni/former players - will not narrow the pool - will hire the best person, the best coach, who has the attributes to lead this program and take it forward; regardless of alumni, offense or defense.
-the philosophy this person has; in terms of offense, in terms of defense
-I mentioned special teams
-recruiting philosophy
-player development
-evaluators of talent absolutely critical it minimizes the misses (which in turn creates more depth)
-demonstrates they can do that (evaluate talent)
-either HC experience
-or coordinator experience at the P5 level
-doesn't mean a position coach can't do it but it's a big leap
-again reiterates leadership, vision and communication skills (to be able to relate to the young men they'll be leading.)

*Wildhack said he is enthused over the last 24 hours, the number of and quality of people who've reached out to him directly or indirectly about the job.

Last edited:
bro I already mentioned Chesney and Diaz as having special teams experience. The 'no one' has comment meant that it's rare for those who have the aforementioned qualifications.
Thanks for clarifying.

Bill O'Brien keeps jumping out since he was mentioned. If he is looking to be head coach again why not at Syracuse? I would think he would be my dark horse candidate.

Wouldn't mind him at all. His NMSU team just destroyed auburn this weekend. His health issues were related to his epilepsy and the seizures he was having. Believe that has been taken care of.
why not. He's 61, give him a five year deal and hope that he 1) can stay healthy enough to right the ship, and 2) that he has an OC/DC that will come with him and could offer coverage if his health stumbles or could succeed him. He has won everywhere he has coac

Bill O'Brien keeps jumping out since he was mentioned. If he is looking to be head coach again why not at Syracuse? I would think he would be my dark horse candidate.
He's the one name that i'm fascinated by. More so by the logistics than anything. Would he interview midweek with Syracuse while he's preparing for the Giants? Would he leave the team next week to join the Orange? How much would it take to get someone like him?

As a resident of the greater hockomock area i'll keep my eyes open for John Wildhack at the Dairy Queen in Foxboro or the Dunkin on Route 1...

Why do I keep seeing national media floating Mullen? Is there something I am missing that makes a guy in the $7.5 million range at UF suddenly in our price range?

Reactions: FAL
Why do I keep seeing national media floating Mullen? Is there something I am missing that makes a guy in the $7.5 million range at UF suddenly in our price range?

Just John putting out misinformation so other schools don't look at his real target(s).

Jedd Fisch only makes $2.6 million. Just sayin ;)

*Actually, he has escalators (still modest) and a massive buyout. I think he's staying till 2026 at least

i'd be blown away if Mullen agreed to coach SU vs the other SEC jobs that open up or even Mich St. those are big boy salary positions.

Heck I'd be..."They gave Dino 8 years I see some job security."'

i'd be blown away if Mullen agreed to coach SU vs the other SEC jobs that open up or even Mich St. those are big boy salary positions.
For a coach like Mullen he may see Syracuse as an easier route to the CFP at this point of his career versus the gauntlet of the SEC or B10.

For a coach like Mullen he may see Syracuse as an easier route to the CFP at this point of his career versus the gauntlet of the SEC or B10.
Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom