Go Duke | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Go Duke

It's not rooting for every team - it's rooting for what's best for the conference.

Here's the analogy: you root for your neighbors to renovate their homes and add value to the neighborhood (even if they are #%!holes) because your property value goes up.

For better or worse we're in the ACC - I want to see the conference be great - because it makes us look better when we do well in it. See: Mizzou's 10 spot jump in the rankings. Thanks to the perception of the SEC.

VT losing today to Duke did nothing to help nor hurt SU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

were talking long term. perception of the conference is what matters. now everyone is back to saying it's soft because of this loss, and miami, and clemson struggle.

Yeah, it's getting nuts. VT losing is fun. ACC and SU won't suffer because of it.

For me, the joy of getting off the RMS Titanic was so that we didn't have to worry if our ranked conference team lost. ACC is fine. ACC is strong. Laugh at a Hokie today. I know I am.

It can be both bad for the conference and still be funny/awesome that they choked against Duke at home.

Not an either/or.

It removed a one loss VT team from a potential second BCS bowl and knocked a third ACC team from the top-15. The more teams the ACC has in both, the better off the ACC and SU is in the long run. That doesn't mean anyone has to root for them, but Anomander isn't insane to think conference in these situations.

Edit: sorry-4th ACC from the current rankings.

Last edited:
If the ACC gets some NCs under its belt, i'll change my tune and VT can go to hell.
3 teams ar
It's not rooting for every team - it's rooting for what's best for the conference.

Here's the analogy: you root for your neighbors to renovate their homes and add value to the neighborhood (even if they are #%!holes) because your property value goes up.

For better or worse we're in the ACC - I want to see the conference be great - because it makes us look better when we do well in it. See: Mizzou's 10 spot jump in the rankings. Thanks to the perception of the SEC.

What if you like your neighborhood and don't ever plan on moving? Then I'm stuck with the same ahole neighbor and higher property taxes.

3 teams ar

What if you like your neighborhood and don't ever plan on moving? Then I'm stuck with the same ahole neighbor and higher property taxes.

it should be easier to get good looking women(recruits) to come back to your neighborhood then. damn gold diggers

I root for ACC teams against all non conference foes, whether it be in bowl games or non conference games, but that doesn't mean you have to root for every team. Virginia tech losing to duke I think says more about duke and how they are improving in the long term look on things making bowl eligibility 2 years in a row. Anyone who has watched Virginia Tech this year knows they are pretty bad on offense. I don't think this particular game says anything about the ACC . What the ACC can't have is poor bowl results vs the other major conferences or losses to lower d1 teams

I root for ACC teams against all non conference foes, whether it be in bowl games or non conference games, but that doesn't mean you have to root for every team. Virginia tech losing to duke I think says more about duke and how they are improving in the long term look on things making bowl eligibility 2 years in a row. Anyone who has watched Virginia Tech this year knows they are pretty bad on offense. I don't think this particular game says anything about the ACC . What the ACC can't have is poor bowl results vs the other major conferences or losses to lower d1 teams

3 teams ar

Better than them being #%€holes living in a trailer, selling knock off jewelry out of their garage (Rutgers, obviously) ;).

3 teams ar

Then you run the risk of the neighbors you do like, moving to a nicer neighborhood and a douche with a huskie* moving in.

*Uconn ref, this analogy thing is fun.

it could end up having an effect though. if Miami losses next week to FSU, then VT-Miami matchup will be of both 1 loss teams. if VT beats Miami they play FSU in the Champ game. A 1 loss VT would have helped FSU a lot more then a 2 loss #15 ranked bcs team. it's going to be real close between fsu and oregon. every little bit helps. it would be a nice feather in the acc's cap to finally be the conference to dethrone the sec

It removed a one loss VT team from a potential second BCS bowl and knocked a third ACC team from the top-15. The more teams the ACC has in both, the better off the ACC and SU is in the long run. That doesn't mean anyone has to root for them, but Anomander isn't insane to think conference in these situations.

I want the conference to be great. Just not VT. Let others be great.lh

were talking long term. perception of the conference is what matters. now everyone is back to saying it's soft because of this loss, and miami, and clemson struggle.

Careful Anomander Cusefan95 will start calling you names.

Long term each ACC team needs to play 1 SEC or 1 BiG each year for 1 OCC game and we need to win those games along with all of our OCC games - second we need to win our respective bowl games to those that make it. Finally we need to have only 1 team to make it to the new playoff system each year and win.

In a sense, SU had an opportunity to beat Penn St who beat a ranked Mich team. That's what makes the ACC conference a better football conference.

Winning & losing inside the conference is what it is. VT simple choked today.

it could end up having an effect though. if Miami losses next week to FSU, then VT-Miami matchup will be of both 1 loss teams. if VT beats Miami they play FSU in the Champ game. A 1 loss VT would have helped FSU a lot more then a 2 loss #15 ranked bcs team. it's going to be real close between fsu and oregon. every little bit helps. it would be a nice feather in the acc's cap to finally be the conference to dethrone the sec

I have no confidence in Oregon beating Stanford as they lose to them every year when they are in the mix for championship. It may but most likely Oregon is going to be ranked higher in the computers regardless of either Miami or Virginia tech being the victim to florida state in the acc championship so for florida state to jump Oregon they will have to pass Oregon in coaches and /or harris poll which means win more convincing not really who you play

It can be both bad for the conference and still be funny/awesome that they choked against Duke at home.

Not an either/or.

Bad for the conference is something I rarely heard before the original ACC raid. Now with all the realignment you hear it all the time, even SEC fans are in on it.

To me, the only thing that could be bad for the ACC right now is FSU losing. VT losing is bad for VT. I just don't see where it's all that bad for the ACC. Unless I have the wrong idea of what bad for the ACC means.

Bad for the conference is something I rarely heard before the original ACC raid. Now with all the realignment you hear it all the time, even SEC fans are in on it.

To me, the only thing that could be bad for the ACC right now is FSU losing. VT losing is bad for VT. I just don't see where it's all that bad for the ACC. Unless I have the wrong idea of what bad for the ACC means.

What would have been bad for the ACC is for an exposed VT to have gotten a BCS bowl then losing 40-0.

Thank you Duke for dong the ACC a favor.

What would have been bad for the ACC is for an exposed VT to have gotten a BCS bowl then losing 40-0.

Thank you Duke for doing the ACC a favor.

that defense isn't giving up 40 to anybody.

Regardless, Alabama will be playing either FSU,Nike, or tOSU for the BCS championship. As a conference we have a player in the game no matter how VPI plays. I myself enjoyed Duke beating those rednecks...sorry.

that defense isn't giving up 40 to anybody.

I could see Logan Thomas handing about 21 to a very good team.

And I could see VT scoring 0.

They won't have to worry about it now though.

Agreed. It's only going to get worse with the playoffs and selection committees. There will be even more importance on conference strength.

Yeah - the most best thing for the conference would be for FSU to win out and beat Alabama - but I will still be hoping for the miracle to end all miracles when we go down there in a couple of weeks.

I hate everything about Ohio State. Just wanted to put that out there. Oh and VT too.

This is scenario that FSU fans were hoping for should we make it to through the regular season undefeated. The matchup with Miami, though (perhaps) a paper tiger, will help with our SOS and provide another "quality" win should our team prevail in the game. It is a beauty contest right now in the human polls and an undefeated FSU and one-loss VT (to #1 ranked 'Bama) in the ACC-CG could have had a huge impact upon the final BCS standings. A rematch with a one-loss Miami or any two-loss team would not be helpful. Not a great year for uf to look totally suckish.

Having typed all of that, everyone is free to root for, or against, whomever they like, or dislike. If both FSU & Miami join CU and VT in going tits up, the conference and ALL it's members should expect continued ridicule on the football front.

:oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom