Go USA!! USMNT v. Czech Republic in Prague | Syracusefan.com

Go USA!! USMNT v. Czech Republic in Prague

Alsacs

Living Legend
Jozy is the captain. Joe Gyau making his USMNT senior team debut. Brad Guzan starting in the pipes.

No TV coverage on ESPN3. Nice work ESPN.

Bright side is they are covering the Germany v Argentina match.

NBCSN has a great app

ETA: Gyau is going to be a very important piece for the USMNT going forward. Loved his skill as a youngster and Dortmund is giving him all he needs to develop.

0-0 thru 30 minutes. Thus far the USA looks like the better side. The Czechs have only had 2 scoring chances. Brooks cleared the first and Green losing possession caused the other.
Gyau looks like the best USA player thru 30. Guzan has had an easy start.

1-0 USA Bedoya 39' minute. Dixtroud picked the Czech MF pocket and Cech saved his shot and Bedoya got he rebound into an empty net. That goal was on a terrible decision by Cech.

1-0 USA Bedoya 39' minute. Dixtroud picked the Czech MF pocket and Cech saved his shot and Bedoya got he rebound into an empty net. That goal was on a terrible decision by Cech.

US looked very good. The new guys looked better than the experienced guys we used in Brazil. We were WAY better in possession, much calmer on the ball. This is what was lacking for the most part in Brazil.

In Brazil (and among most of the veterans on the team), we were still pretty much a "bunker in on defense and hit on the counter" kind of team, still in Bob Bradley's image. And honestly, that's the way the US has played going back to 1994. The problem with that is that the older guys are impatient in possession, looking to make the long pass, the more direct pass, and strike quickly. The problem with that approach is the general lack of ball skill among those players.

Last night, the younger guys like Fabian Johnson, John Brooks, Gyau, Bedoya, etc., looked more comfortable in possession and really controlled the midfield for long stretches in the first half and beginning of the 2nd half. I think they tired a bit at around the 60 minute mark (and they lost some continuity when a bunch of subs came in at that point), and the Czechs turned up the heat a bit in the final 20-30 minutes.

Overall, this was a tremendous display and shows us the way that Klinsmann wants them to play. We still need some more quality up front, but I like the way our midfield and defense looked last night.

Remember, the Czech Republic are not a European punching-bag of a team. They almost always qualify for the European Championships and we have never beaten them before in 5 tries, I think it was. So this was another really positive sign for the US national team.

And now here's a thought - compare this showing (and our last 2 World Cups) to how England has done, and the lack of interest in their international friendly last night against Norway. Wembley Stadium was half empty and the team played poorly, lucky to get a result thanks to a penalty. We have outperformed England in the last 2 World Cups. They used to mock the US when it comes to soccer, but I think we are really moving up as a country, and I'd bet that they would be willing to trade places with our recent performances of the past few years compared to theirs.

Last edited:
Czech took down the Dutch.

Cyprus also upsetted Bosnia. Huge upset

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors