Golf or Baseball at SU? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Golf or Baseball at SU?

barryPark.jpg

As I look at the background it looks like Barry Park. I used to play a lot of baseball, softball, football tennis, basketball, ran there and even biked.

In addition SU used to practice football there.

In some pictures that I have of a friend's father posing with Ernie Davis at Barry Park, the houses in the background are very similar.

That's right - football and baseball would often practice over there; forgot all bout that. This shot looks a little different, though: https://maps.google.com/?q=@43.0307117177582,-76.1173875622678&z=19

The baseball photo has pretty large and old houses; the ones on Broad are newer (and the ones on the Westcott side of the park wouldn't have been built at that time).

That's right - football and baseball would often practice over there; forgot all bout that. This shot looks a little different, though: https://maps.google.com/?q=@43.0307117177582,-76.1173875622678&z=19

The baseball photo has pretty large and old houses; the ones on Broad are newer (and the ones on the Westcott side of the park wouldn't have been built at that time).
Maybe it is the baseball field on Colvin & Lancaster where football practice's.

I know of two others and was waiting for others to chime in. One is Dick Beyer known as the Masked Marvel, the other was Jim "Bo" Nance 62-'65 All American wrestler who, if I recall correctly, used to toss Cali Cuse around like a pillow up at Archbold Gym.
Art Baker was an All American fullback on the football team and also won a NC at 191 pounds for Syracuse in 1959. He was only the 2nd African American to do this. The first was Harold Henson of San Diego State.

Good Link on African American Wrestling Greats

The link above talks about Art, who could have won more titles wrestling but decided to concentrate on wrestling, and Jim Nance, a two time national champion for SU at heavyweight and one of the best wrestlers of all time.

Definite possibility. (For all I know, the freshman team was on the road when that picture was taken and I'm wasting our time.)

Lew Carr Field. Lew was the shortstop for the Pirates when Honus Wagner was there. Pretty good player and coach. If they bring the sport back, his name should be included in some way.

Linkage

From the perspective of the ACC, baseball is clearly the sport to add.

From the perspective of SU, hockey makes a lot more sense.

If anything gets added, I predict it will be golf for both genders.

There are some powerhouses in our region in hockey.
RPI, RIT, St Lawrence, Clarkson, Cornell, Colgate, even SUNY Oswego.
It is kind of ridiculous that we don't have men's hockey here.
We could play half our games outside for crying out loud. (not really)

Put my vote down for wrestling. We can bring home individual national champions in wrestling. In-state recruiting, not to mention the best recruiting states surrounding NY.

I once helped Gene Mills, a former national champ, push his golf cart out from a rut because he needed my man muscle.

If anything gets added, I predict it will be golf for both genders.

The Guys

golf5.jpg

and the gals team members

golf1.jpg

"Time In: 1922 / Time Out: 1971
The Saltine Linksmen were organized through the efforts of the Syracuse University Golf Association, and sponsored by students with an interest in the game. Syracuse hosted the first New York State Intercollegiate Golf Tourney in the spring of 1923. Golf ended in 1971 when the Athletic Policy Board suspended it due to major budget reductions."

From SU Archives

The Guys

golf5.jpg

and the gals team members

golf1.jpg

"Time In: 1922 / Time Out: 1971
The Saltine Linksmen were organized through the efforts of the Syracuse University Golf Association, and sponsored by students with an interest in the game. Syracuse hosted the first New York State Intercollegiate Golf Tourney in the spring of 1923. Golf ended in 1971 when the Athletic Policy Board suspended it due to major budget reductions."

From SU Archives
That picture of the golf team looks disturbing like a promo poster for Revenge of the Nerds. Only nerdier.

113011-revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg

That picture of the golf team looks disturbing like a promo poster for Revenge of the Nerds. Only nerdier.

113011-revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg
If you thought it was bad, it can be made worse by clicking & expanding it.

BTW folks that's Tom third from the left and that's me on the right with the rather dapper hat on and styling socks.

Adding hockey would be very difficult. SU would have to build a new arena. Miami University's new hockey arena cost $35 million.

There's also the matter of what conference would take SU. Do the Ivies, RPI, Clarkson, et al want to compete with a program that can spend football money on its hockey program? Their league is generally considered a couple steps below the top leagues anyway. The top leagues are the Big Ten, Hockey East and the National Collegiate Hockey Conference. Forget about the Big Ten. Hockey East will have 12 teams once Notre Dame and join. They probably won't have room for another unless someone drops out. The NCHC is entirely made up of midwest and western teams. The closest are Miami and Western Michigan. There's only two other leagues: The WCHA, which is made up of teams the Big Ten and NCHC left behind. Teams range all the way from Bowling Green, Ohio to Huntsville, Alabama to Alaska. Most of the teams are in Minnesota and Michigan. The last league is Atlantic Hockey, which has a scholarship limit of 12 (the other leagues are at NCAA maximum of 18). Atlantic Hockey is by far the worst conference. It gets only one team in the tournament and it's always a four seed.

As much as I would like SU to play hockey, I wouldn't support spending tens of millions of dollars to play unless they were in Hockey East. Atlantic Hockey is the dregs and I suspect ECAC Hockey won't admit a school with football money to spend.

Adding hockey would be very difficult. SU would have to build a new arena. Miami University's new hockey arena cost $35 million.

There's also the matter of what conference would take SU. Do the Ivies, RPI, Clarkson, et al want to compete with a program that can spend football money on its hockey program? Their league is generally considered a couple steps below the top leagues anyway. The top leagues are the Big Ten, Hockey East and the National Collegiate Hockey Conference. Forget about the Big Ten. Hockey East will have 12 teams once Notre Dame and join. They probably won't have room for another unless someone drops out. The NCHC is entirely made up of midwest and western teams. The closest are Miami and Western Michigan. There's only two other leagues: The WCHA, which is made up of teams the Big Ten and NCHC left behind. Teams range all the way from Bowling Green, Ohio to Huntsville, Alabama to Alaska. Most of the teams are in Minnesota and Michigan. The last league is Atlantic Hockey, which has a scholarship limit of 12 (the other leagues are at NCAA maximum of 18). Atlantic Hockey is by far the worst conference. It gets only one team in the tournament and it's always a four seed.

As much as I would like SU to play hockey, I wouldn't support spending tens of millions of dollars to play unless they were in Hockey East. Atlantic Hockey is the dregs and I suspect ECAC Hockey won't admit a school with football money to spend.
The university could take advantage of Nancy's greatest accomplishment, the Connective Corridor and follow it to the War Memorial. No need to build a hockey arena at this time.

...How about Bridge?
Maybe I shouldn't be shocked by this discussion, maybe I'm the ugly (1st generation) American. It's BASEBALL, (Ray). People will come!
BASEBALL. That would rock!

The university could take advantage of Nancy's greatest accomplishment, the Connective Corridor and follow it to the War Memorial. No need to build a hockey arena at this time.

The War Memorial was a dump the last time I was in it, about ten years ago. I can't imagine it's any better now.

Golf teams typically play about 6-8 tournaments in the fall and another 6-8 in the spring. Not every school hosts an event, and they are not head-to-head matchups, but rather multi-team tournaments. In other words, travel is expected and extensive.

The big problem is procuring adequate practice time. Some cold weather schools resort to indoor domes or bubbles that allow you hit the ball 75-100 yards before making contact with the net. Short game practice is significantly more challenging.

The War Memorial was a dump the last time I was in it, about ten years ago. I can't imagine it's any better now.
The university could have TGD's design team come in and spruce it for pennies on the dollar.

I would like baseball. If it was golf, they should time it with Boeheim's retirement from basketball. Then he could coach golf finally after turning down U of R back in 1976. ;)