Golic and Wingo mention | Syracusefan.com

Golic and Wingo mention

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
Just a quick one. Golic talking ND and said if they can get past VT this weekend the only game on their remaining schedule that worries him is Syracuse. Wingo quickly agreed.

Can’t imagine anyone saying that in recent history.

They said the same thing on Monday as well.

Clock management aside, the press coming out of that game has been overwhelmingly positive for this team, even moreso than last year's win.

Last year's win could be considered a fluke (caught clemson off-guard on an off-week). But taking them to the wire...in their own house...on national tv...in the early game really opened up some eyes.

I wish the same was being said on The First Team this morning. Instead, they said Clemson's schedule is weak, "Syracuse is solid", and now Clemson will most likely lose a game this year, but no other props for how we were 40 seconds away from beating the No. 3 team in the nation. Of course, PSU is awesome and was so close. Two games with similar outcomes, similar scores, similar early domination by one team over the other, but perception is so much different. Sucks.

They said the same thing on Monday as well.

Clock management aside, the press coming out of that game has been overwhelmingly positive for this team, even moreso than last year's win.

Last year's win could be considered a fluke (caught clemson off-guard on an off-week). But taking them to the wire...in their own house...on national tv...in the early game really opened up some eyes.

After this year's game, last year's result was NOT a fluke.

After this year's game, last year's result was NOT a fluke.

Well, the 2017 season numbers would disagree with you, I think. (And, you are I take it a numbers person)

That game might have been an indicator that the team on some days could be good, even very good. But in the context of the entire season, the win was pretty much a "fluke".

Or if it wasn't, I'd like to see what a real fluke looked like.

I wish the same was being said on The First Team this morning. Instead, they said Clemson's schedule is weak, "Syracuse is solid", and now Clemson will most likely lose a game this year, but no other props for how we were 40 seconds away from beating the No. 3 team in the nation. Of course, PSU is awesome and was so close. Two games with similar outcomes, similar scores, similar early domination by one team over the other, but perception is so much different. Sucks.

McElroy is too young to remember when Syracuse was relevant, so it's going to be a harder sell of success to convert him. Zarzour is often very complimentary of Dino and the program.

What's happening now is that we're forming an identity in the public's mind.
It starts with Dino and his post-victory lockerroom sermons, Dungey and his grit, the OITNF offense when its clicking, and with the DL performances we've been seeing, even the defense is opening some eyes.
The VT and Clemson wins stuck in people's minds, and our close call last week announced that we're not just some flash-in-the-pan.

Slowly but surely, SU football be like...

Well, the 2017 season numbers would disagree with you, I think. (And, you are I take it a numbers person)

That game might have been an indicator that the team on some days could be good, even very good. But in the context of the entire season, the win was pretty much a "fluke".

Disagree. You can’t look at the numbers and say what is. Teams that are improving have highs and lows. Flashes of where they are headed. I prefer to think of that game as a flash, not a fluke.

Misleading semantics aside...

If you take the win expectancy % seriously (Given your success rates, big plays, field position components, turnovers, etc., you could have expected to win this game X% of the time) - we'd have won that game 49% of the time.

22-5 the previous two years versus 8-16 will do that for perception. It'll take time to change it. It'll help if we can pull off a win over ND and beat a quality team in a good bowl. Otherwise our wins this year will be percieved as being against a weak schedule in a soft conference. We need our conference mates to step up out of conference and during bowl season too.

Nope. We were healthy when we beat Clemson, and relatively healthy when nearly beating Florida State, and Miami. We were healthy and almost knocked off a good NC State team on the road. By the time the wheels actually fell off for Wake, BC, and Louisville, we had sustained multiple injuries to key guys. Suddenly we're getting blown out. Don't get me wrong...injuries happen to every team, but you have to admit, that last years lack of depth really magnified the injuries down the stretch. I think healthy team last year wins 6, and if we stay healthy this year, we win 8-9.
I think if we're as healthy at the end of last year, as we were in those earlier games, we win 2 of them.

This is a critical game for the rest of our season IMO. How will we respond on the road in a place that has been tough for us but against a team we absolutely should beat. If we can avoid the letdown,. and get a W, ANY W, i think there is a very real chance this team is 9-1 entering the ND game (NC State massive test tho). Incidentally, in this scenario, you are probably talking about 2 top 15 teams in Yankee Stadium and a College Gameday appearance.

The First Team is the most god awful radio show. I listen to that station almost all day at work, but I usually wait until Full Ride comes on. Actually the NASCAR show on during The First Team is much better and I haven't cared about NASCAR since I was 8.

Misleading semantics aside...

If you take the win expectancy % seriously (Given your success rates, big plays, field position components, turnovers, etc., you could have expected to win this game X% of the time) - we'd have won that game 49% of the time.

Seems to me that SU was a 24 point under dog in that game (or something like that)

And you found a tool that said SU would win 49% of the time. (Was that the same tool that the NYT used to predict Hillary had a 94% chance of winning?)

The betting line isn't always right, but I'll take it over some convoluted model measuring all sorts of variables.

The First Team is the most god awful radio show. I listen to that station almost all day at work, but I usually wait until Full Ride comes on. Actually the NASCAR show on during The First Team is much better and I haven't cared about NASCAR since I was 8.

Rick Neuheisel is awesome. Will be missed when he has to leave to coach his team in the new Spring league.

Seems to me that SU was a 24 point under dog in that game (or something like that)

And you found a tool that said SU would win 49% of the time. (Was that the same tool that the NYT used to predict Hillary had a 94% chance of winning?)

The betting line isn't always right, but I'll take it over some convoluted model measuring all sorts of variables.

Lol. Shown facts you don’t like, you call them fake news. Telling.

Anyways, Vegas is a predictor (guessing what happens before it happens). Win expectancy looks at what actually happened.

Saying “Vegas thought we’d lose by x and we won proves it’s a fluke!” Vs “When you compare the stats x team would have beat y team 49% time historically - proves it was an earned win where we played with them”

This x1000

Last week I was listening to The First Team talk about the Kelly Bryant situation, and McElroy couldn't understand what Bryant was thinking because he had already redshirted and would be ineligible to play next year. Zarzour didn't correct him and made some comment about there possibly being special redshirt rules for transfer students. I mean, I could see confusion over the eligibility status of Tulane's backup QB, but this is Kelly Bryant. I'm just a guy who watches college ball on Saturdays and I know Bryant never redshirted. THESE GUYS GET PAID TO KNOW THIS STUFF. They do this kind of stuff all the time, and then get dismissive of callers and cut them off.

And I know all sports talk shows do it to some degree, but these guys are also the worst when it comes to the narrative of there being only 5-7 "good" teams. The other 125 Div 1 teams are terrible, apparently. If you're doing a national broadcast, you might get more listeners by not talking solely about Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Penn State, Clemson, and Oklahoma, and dismissing all the other teams as "also rans" or "not very good".

Neuheisel is great, and is one of the last sports talk guys to not just sell out on talking about the same 4-5 teams all day every day. He knows that there is a lot of decent football being played by teams outside the top 25. Mark Packer is okay too.

The First Team is the Worst. Sports. Talk. Show. Ever.

22-5 the previous two years versus 8-16 will do that for perception. It'll take time to change it. It'll help if we can pull off a win over ND and beat a quality team in a good bowl. Otherwise our wins this year will be percieved as being against a weak schedule in a soft conference. We need our conference mates to step up out of conference and during bowl season too.

if we go 7-5 or 8-4, it will help a lot even if we lose to ND and lose a bowl game. Purdue got a lot of buzz going into this season, and that was after going 7-6. they beat Arizona in their bowl game which isn't bad but beyond that they didn't beat anyone of note and for goodness sakes they lost to Rutgers(yes, I guess that is still possible).

Show on ESPNU SiriusXM. Taylor Zarzour and Greg McElroy

Thankfully it is over at 8AM here in the Mountain Time zone. Just sheer agony listening to those two babble on and on without making a point. On top of that I can't imagine finding two more dull and boring hosts out there in the world of radio.