Golic and Wingo mention | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Golic and Wingo mention

Thankfully it is over at 8AM here in the Mountain Time zone. Just sheer agony listening to those two babble on and on without making a point. On top of that I can't imagine finding two more dull and boring hosts out there in the world of radio.

I actually usually enjoy them because they aren't over-the-top.

But, one thing that's getting increasing annoying is how every team is going to be "good" at the beginning of the year. It's as if they don't want to piss off any coaches.

vegas isnt always right.. home dogs in the NFL are like 11-6 straight up this year.. so vegas might be right but the public isnt.

I actually usually enjoy them because they aren't over-the-top.

But, one thing that's getting increasing annoying is how every team is going to be "good" at the beginning of the year. It's as if they don't want to piss off any coaches.

I don't mind them either, although they're frustrating at times (McElroy just isn't always prepared). And Zarzour can be a bit of that Mike Greenberg - I'm such a wonderful person so I can't say anything that's not nice - and it kinda makes you want to vomit.

One thing I miss is that they used to have Phil Steele on for an hour every Friday morning. That was the best part of the show. People would call in, ask about a specific game. He was always prepared. He's a human encyclopedia. Wish they could get that back.

Lol. Shown facts you don’t like, you call them fake news. Telling.

Anyways, Vegas is a predictor (guessing what happens before it happens). Win expectancy looks at what actually happened.

Saying “Vegas thought we’d lose by x and we won proves it’s a fluke!” Vs “When you compare the stats x team would have beat y team 49% time historically - proves it was an earned win where we played with them”

You are using facts. Unfortunately, but not unexpectedly, they are the wrong facts to make the point you wish were true.

We don't agree what being a fluke constitutes. The key to understanding a fluke is its unlikeliness or its improbability.

An Win-Expectancy analysis that looks back at what happened and uses the game statistics to show how the fluke occurred doesn't shine much light on how unusual the game was.

If the two teams played 10 times last year, Clemson would have won 8. The rest of SUs season pretty much showed what the 2017 team was.

Last edited:
if we go 7-5 or 8-4, it will help a lot even if we lose to ND and lose a bowl game. Purdue got a lot of buzz going into this season, and that was after going 7-6. they beat Arizona in their bowl game which isn't bad but beyond that they didn't beat anyone of note and for goodness sakes they lost to Rutgers(yes, I guess that is still possible).
Sure a winning record will help and certainly keep the perception ball rolling. With regards to the comparison that I responded to, that alone won't be enough.

If last years schedule had say Rutgers OOC and UNC as SU's Coastal division in stead of LSU and Miami, they likely win those 2 games. And if Dino had them prep for MTSU, they win that game and, voila, they are 7-5. Also if by playing the easier team maybe they win one of those other 2 and just maybe he doesn't break his foot and they win 1 of the last 3. Point is, with an easier schedule the same team could have been 8-4 or even 9-3. So, this years team should exceed those numbers as the schedule is easier and the team is more advanced in the system.

Thankfully it is over at 8AM here in the Mountain Time zone. Just sheer agony listening to those two babble on and on without making a point. On top of that I can't imagine finding two more dull and boring hosts out there in the world of radio.

I really liked Bill King when he had that time slot. He talked about a lot more than “would the Tide beat the Buffalo Bills” and “what Tua was eating for breakfast today”.

Unfortunately he’s now doing local sports radio in Nashville. I guess maybe people really do want more Alabama all the time.

I really liked Bill King when he had that time slot. He talked about a lot more than “would the Tide beat the Buffalo Bills” and “what Tua was eating for breakfast today”.

Unfortunately he’s now doing local sports radio in Nashville. I guess maybe people really do want more Alabama all the time.

I liked Bill King as well. Having a guy who went to Alabama and a guy who grew up in Alabama host a national radio show doesn't sound like it would have national appeal. I'll give it a listen though just to hear what y'all are talking about.

You are using facts. Unfortunately, but not unexpectedly, they are the wrong facts to make the point you wish were true.

We don't agree what being a fluke constitutes. The key to understanding a fluke is its unlikeliness or its improbability.

An Win-Expectancy analysis that looks back at what happened and uses the game statistics to show how the fluke occurred doesn't shine much light on how unusual the game was.

If the two teams played 10 times last year, Clemson would have won 8. The rest of SUs season pretty much showed what the 2017 team was.

That’s why I sidestepped by starting off with “semantics aside”... you left yourself wiggle room. “Fluke” and “upset” are used interchangeably to you, I guess. Noted.

The occurrence of a top 3 team losing to an unranked team is rare, except when the unranked team plays as well as we did. Then it’s more like 50/50. In other words there was nothing flukey about winning a game like the one we won.

To describe it as a fluke after you have the facts acts as a subtle whitewashing of the accomplishment. That’s why I’m pushing back and dumping on your faulty definition.

That’s why I sidestepped by starting off with “semantics aside”... you left yourself wiggle room. “Fluke” and “upset” are used interchangeably to you, I guess. Noted.

The occurrence of a top 3 team losing to an unranked team is rare, except when the unranked team plays as well as we did. Then it’s more like 50/50. In other words there was nothing flukey about winning a game like the one we won.

To describe it as a fluke after you have the facts acts as a subtle whitewashing of the accomplishment. That’s why I’m pushing back and dumping on your faulty definition.

The definition for Fluke I am using comes out of the dictionary.

The definition for Fluke I am using comes out of the dictionary.

Fluke: "unlikely chance occurrence, especially a surprising piece of luck."

Points for the 1st half of the definition, zero for the 2nd.

Lets beat Pitt and UNC. get to 6-1 then pound chest softly
Debbie Downer. Part of being good at anything is having confidence and even some cockiness. Acting like you been there and deserve it. I don't think I've ever met someone that was good at something who kept on fretting about and disparaging their abilities.

The First Team is the most god awful radio show. I listen to that station almost all day at work, but I usually wait until Full Ride comes on. Actually the NASCAR show on during The First Team is much better and I haven't cared about NASCAR since I was 8.
I would recommend listening to ACC This Morning on ACC Radio on channel 371 at that time with Mark Packer & Wes Durham. Far better show.

I would recommend listening to ACC This Morning on ACC Radio on channel 371 at that time with Mark Packer & Wes Durham. Far better show.
This. Pack and Wes LOVE Cuse this year. The last 3 weeks they have talked a lot about us and how good we can be. Every morning from 7:00-10:00

Debbie Downer. Part of being good at anything is having confidence and even some cockiness. Acting like you been there and deserve it. I don't think I've ever met someone that was good at something who kept on fretting about and disparaging their abilities.

We haven't been there and I am not so sure we are that good yet? Lets see where next two weeks go. I just think we are getting ahead of ourselves, which I have stated is fine for fans I have no issue with it. I think the team is easy a 7 win team. That said, some are talking 9 wins.

Say we lose to Pitt.. many talking 9 wins will be the first posting that Lynch or Ward may not be the right guys, Tampa 2 can't work in college, Sean Lewis was more aggressive than Lynch etc etc. Dino is more big picture not great on game day, etc. I have been on this board for 20 years, have seen it all to often and was that guy for a number of years

You have your opinion and I have mine, not a big deal. Part of not being good, is getting punched in the face and not punching back.. Let's see how it goes. I think we will win too but lets see it first. Pitt may not be very good this year but they will be ready to play Syracuse and while some are taking shots at Narduzzi he has won some big games there.

6-1 and I think it's time to start talking about how good this team is and can be. BC was great until they got curb stomped by Purdue on the road

Last edited:
Well, the 2017 season numbers would disagree with you, I think. (And, you are I take it a numbers person)

That game might have been an indicator that the team on some days could be good, even very good. But in the context of the entire season, the win was pretty much a "fluke".

Or if it wasn't, I'd like to see what a real fluke looked like.
It wasnt a fluke win. If we had remained healthy we would have won more games post Clemson.

They talked about us again with Herbstreit and surprisingly he didn't bash us, it was in regards to the ND game and how we can light up the scoreboard and could be NDs biggest challenge left.

We haven't been there and I am not so sure we are that good yet? Lets see where next two weeks go. I just think we are getting ahead of ourselves, which I have stated is fine for fans I have no issue with it. I think the team is easy a 7 win team. That said, some are talking 9 wins.

Say we lose to Pitt.. many talking 9 wins will be the first posting that Lynch or Ward may not be the right guys, Tampa 2 can't work in college, Sean Lewis was more aggressive than Lynch etc etc. Dino is more big picture not great on game day, etc. I have been on this board for 20 years, have seen it all to often and was that guy for a number of years

You have your opinion and I have mine, not a big deal. Part of not being good, is getting punched in the face and not punching back.. Let's see how it goes. I think we will win too but lets see it first. Pitt may not be very good this year but they will be ready to play Syracuse and while some are taking shots at Narduzzi he has won some big games there.

6-1 and I think it's time to start talking about how good this team is and can be. BC was great until they got curb stomped by Purdue on the road
How much so they have to succeed before fans stop sowing doubt and just support them? A team doesn't need bandwagon fans, by then they already accomplished the tasks.

How much so they have to succeed before fans stop sowing doubt and just support them? A team doesn't need bandwagon fans, by then they already accomplished the tasks.
Are you talking about the poster you replied to? Or anyone else here that shares his opinion? Yeesh!

Are you talking about the poster you replied to? Or anyone else here that shares his opinion? Yeesh!
Is there any wonder why the attendance is low? The teams hasn't proven they're truly that good. The QB, tho being mentioned as a Heisman candidate by the national media, isn't that good. That's basically what you get here on Syracusefan, a place where you would think that the support would be the strongest.