Gonzaga "We can't be zoned". Zoned! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga "We can't be zoned". Zoned!

Haha you're a savage. That kid was like 6 LOL. You're talking about leather aviation cap kid right?
Yeah that's probably that same kid. I'll agree that when it comes to sports. I'm a savage. One reason why I don't believe I could ever be a coach. I'd be too mean.

they actually did a great job against our zone. they lost because of turnovers. they really did a great job of working the ball around and getting the ball to the open man. but they werent ready for our swarm.

they actually did a great job against our zone. they lost because of turnovers. they really did a great job of working the ball around and getting the ball to the open man. but they werent ready for our swarm.
eh I'd say they did a decent job for parts of the game - but too many turnovers means they actually didn't do a very good job against it

They tied for their lowest output of the season with the season on the line and their best two beasting. We made them sheet their pants on the podium.

Last edited:
I'm going to go against the grain here.

I'll be honest, the zone almost did kind of do us in. It let Wiltjer thrive like he's never thrived all year without someone dedicated to him. Thankfully, he's only one man.

I'll be honest, the zone almost did kind of do us in. It let Wiltjer thrive like he's never thrived all year without someone dedicated to him. Thankfully, he's only one man.
Who guards Wiltjer if we play M2M? Who guards Sabonis?

The zone definitely did not do us in...not even close

Wiltjer is a great shooter, but thats about it. he really got lost a few times with the ball and the guards did to.. the fact they made some really long 3s has nothing to do with being good zone offense. the did a great job in 2 stretches but also looked awful at times.. making 10 for 11 and starting like 6 of 7 means they shot pretty poorly for a long period too.

Use 2-3 zone's avatar!
K391Dn8.png

Wiltjer averaged 20.4 points per game this year. He scored 23 against Syracuse.
He scored 23 points or more 14 times this season, including 5 games in the 30's and 1 game at 29 points.
He hit 4 threes against Syracuse. He hit 4 or more threes 10 times this season.

Wiltjer had a very good game against Syracuse. No doubt. But it is simply unsupported and incorrect to say that he thrived last night like he's never thrived all year.

Avoiding the short corner trap is a huge part of beating the zone. We caught them multiple times in the dead corner. They hit ridiculously deep threes.

It took them too long to pound it inside, then failed to do so on the two most important possessions of the game.

I'd give them a B-.

Perkins. Made 8 zone busting points and a respectable 6 assists.

Would have had 10 points had he received the inbound late in the game, the inbound Cooney grabbed and coverted.

Perkins was "wide open to the right," as the broadcast correctly stated. What they failed to address was how he was so wide open. The forearm shiver to Mali that sent him airborn and sprawling that went uncalled.

They really tried to give the game to the Zags late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom