Google Chromecast and SU Hoops | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Google Chromecast and SU Hoops

I don't consider myself dumb when it comes to technology by any means...I will say though that ive researched chromecast, appletv and roku and i swear i don't understand what the point of it is. What can you do with them if you already have cable? I considered getting rid of time warner and replacing it with one of those devices, but it seems like without time warner login that you cant watch espn app stuff anyways. Why am i so confused with this? haha
If it's just to see games on ESPN3 then yes you'll still need the cable subscription, however the Chromecast will allow you to stream games to your TV that would otherwise only be available for viewing on your computer/tablet/smartphone.

But you can also use Chromecast to stream most if not all video that is on the internet to your TV. So you could watch Youtube on your TV, Netflix, or any app/service that streams over the internet.

If it's just to see games on ESPN3 then yes you'll still need the cable subscription, however the Chromecast will allow you to stream games to your TV that would otherwise only be available for viewing on your computer/tablet/smartphone.

But you can also use Chromecast to stream most if not all video that is on the internet to your TV. So you could watch Youtube on your TV, Netflix, or any app/service that streams over the internet.
Yes but you can also watch Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, etc, all on a Roku or Apple TV, too, and don't need a secondary device to do it. They're built in apps for those devices.

I cannot stress enough how much I love my Roku.

Yes but you can also watch Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, etc, all on a Roku or Apple TV, too, and don't need a secondary device to do it. They're built in apps for those devices.

I cannot stress enough how much I love my Roku.
That is true and they are both fine products as well. They also cost more. Chromecast facilitates a simple concept--it allows you to take content from the device (that you likely already own) and put it on your TV.

That is true and they are both fine products as well. They also cost more. Chromecast facilitates a simple concept--it allows you to take content from the device (that you likely already own) and put it on your TV.
Well, Apple TV costs quite a bit more, and the Roku 3 does as well. But the Roku stick is only $15 more than the Chromecast and has basically all the functions that the Roku 3 does. But yes, for cost efficiency, Chromecast might be the way to go.

Chromecast sucks. Bought it to watch the Villanova football game last year. Lags were so bad that by the end, the telecast was at 7:00 left when the game was already over.
chromecast has nothing to with lags.. it will pass the feed in HD.. if you have issues, its with your internet in, your wifi, or the device passing the signal to the chromecast.

The downside of Chromecast is that it requires the use of another device. Its competitors don't have this restriction.
this is not true. it depends on how you use the chromecast.. it works in 2 ways.. one way it passes off the url to the chromecast directly, the other way it uses a feed created by the other device.. if you use an ipad/iphone you dont actually use the other device once you pass if off to the chromecast. if you have lag its usually because your device cant create retransmit the signal fast enough.

roku is the best answer for espn3. but chromecast is great if you are trying to pass a signal that doesnt have a roku channel or if you want to quickly jump to a tv that its a pain to move a ruke to and find power

I still recommend Roku, but mainly because that's the only one I've really tried and I love it. You can get a Roku Stick now, which is basically like a Chromecast in that it's a USB stick that you plug directly into the TV, and otherwise if functions exactly the same as a regular Roku. It's $50 that I think a lot of people would be happy they spent.
It was your Roku recommendation in a similar thread last year that inspired me to get one & I love it! I use it on the bedroom TV because I don't have a cable box in there. It let's me get the higher channels using the TWC TV app. Saves the monthly box rental & I love some of the oddball channels you get.

if one doesn't have wifi you can still connect your ipad or iphone to your big screen tv through a wired connecting device and watch whatever apps you have on the tv. Works great, clear as a bell without any interference. If you have a decent data plan (which are cheaper and cheaper as time goes on) you can do it through that pretty much anywhere theres a 3g, 4g or LTE cell signal.

Use it for Netflix, Watch ESPN apps, etc. on and through it and for everything else that's on you ipad/iphone from your own pics and movies to surfing the net. It's called a digital a/v adapter and is about the same $ as the Chromecast:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Digital-AV-Adapter/21648769

It requires a cheap $3 standard USB cable and allows for charging simultaneously. FYI

this is not true. it depends on how you use the chromecast.. it works in 2 ways.. one way it passes off the url to the chromecast directly, the other way it uses a feed created by the other device.. if you use an ipad/iphone you dont actually use the other device once you pass if off to the chromecast. if you have lag its usually because your device cant create retransmit the signal fast enough.

roku is the best answer for espn3. but chromecast is great if you are trying to pass a signal that doesnt have a roku channel or if you want to quickly jump to a tv that its a pain to move a ruke to and find power

But you're blaming the "device" when with a Roku or Apple TV, you don't need another device.

I still recommend Roku, but mainly because that's the only one I've really tried and I love it. You can get a Roku Stick now, which is basically like a Chromecast in that it's a USB stick that you plug directly into the TV, and otherwise if functions exactly the same as a regular Roku. It's $50 that I think a lot of people would be happy they spent.
I've had a roku for years (great product!)---how do you use it to watch SU games? Or are you saying you HAVE to have the Roku stick?

Edit: is ESPN3 available through Roku? If it is, and I'm just finding this out now I think I might go put my head through a wall lol.

I'm not as technologically adept as some, so would this in some way be better than plugging a cable from my computer to my tv? It was cheaper and required less effort, so I went that route.

I've had a roku for years (great product!)---how do you use it to watch SU games? Or are you saying you HAVE to have the Roku stick?

Edit: is ESPN3 available through Roku? If it is, and I'm just finding this out now I think I might go put my head through a wall lol.

If you're dead, please have your estate send the insurance check to me.

I'm not as technologically adept as some, so would this in some way be better than plugging a cable from my computer to my tv? It was cheaper and required less effort, so I went that route.

That's the "ghetto" route. Dre and Snoop approve.

If you're dead, please have your estate send the insurance check to me.
I feel like the biggest idiot right now. I got my first roku player like 4 years ago, and this whole time I've been watching espn3-games on my tiny laptop instead of my 42' flatscreen. Last year my parents were visiting and all 3 of us watched an SU game huddled around my laptop lol. **facepalm**

I feel like the biggest idiot right now. I got my first roku player like 4 years ago, and this whole time I've been watching espn3-games on my tiny laptop instead of my 42' flatscreen. Last year my parents were visiting and all 3 of us watched an SU game huddled around my laptop lol. **facepalm**

At least it's better now! If you fornicate with the prom queen 4 years after graduation, you still fornicated with the prom queen!

chromecast has nothing to with lags.. it will pass the feed in HD.. if you have issues, its with your internet in, your wifi, or the device passing the signal to the chromecast.

My internet has never had any issues with streaming of any device I've hooked up to it and has plenty of bandwidth. There's zero reason that it should have performed the way it did. Hooked it up to multiple different networks, reset networks, changed out routers to one that's basically a blowtorch of wifi. The only common pieces of hardware were the TV, and the Chromecast. Given that the Chromecast was just passing through the HDMI feed, only one possibility left. It was like it just felt like taking a break from working.

Chromecast sucks. Bought it to watch the Villanova football game last year. Lags were so bad that by the end, the telecast was at 7:00 left when the game was already over.

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!

You can "cast" apps from your phone to Roku3 if the app supports it. I know Netflix and Plex do but haven't tried WatchESPN app.

I have a Roku and 2 Chromecasts (both combined cost less than Roku). I like them both and find advantages with both. I find it to be much easier to find and control stuff with my phone or tablet. The stuff I want to watch is mostly supported by Chromecast, like Netflix, Plex, HBO Go, YouTube and WatchESPN. The only one missing from Chromecast (for me at least) is Amazon video, which is available on Roku. I can mirror my screen from phone to TV with Chromecast but it's not very good yet.

if one doesn't have wifi you can still connect your ipad or iphone to your big screen tv through a wired connecting device and watch whatever apps you have on the tv. Works great, clear as a bell without any interference. If you have a decent data plan (which are cheaper and cheaper as time goes on) you can do it through that pretty much anywhere theres a 3g, 4g or LTE cell signal.

Use it for Netflix, Watch ESPN apps, etc. on and through it and for everything else that's on you ipad/iphone from your own pics and movies to surfing the net. It's called a digital a/v adapter and is about the same $ as the Chromecast:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Digital-AV-Adapter/21648769

It requires a cheap $3 standard USB cable and allows for charging simultaneously. FYI

This is exactly what I do. Great minds think alike. :D