Gotta read the story on .com... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gotta read the story on .com...

Mike Williams was still going to be found by Mike Hopkins.

And you do the change a year you are in a much better position to do it right. I said it was a stupid reckless move at the time for all the reasons Gross just confirmed.
we never would've been in a position to do it right because gross is not capable and they didn't know enough to take the decision out of his hands

not absolving cantor, just saying it doesn't matter

Where gross recounts the firing of coach p and pelini's subsequent interest.

Gross's take makes it clear that firing p after the bowl game was not his idea.

I guess now that nancy is gone, it's okay for him to tell the story and rightfully throw her under the bus.

And he should. It's the truth. Nancy got coerced and ordered the not-started-yet AD the code red.

we never would've been in a position to do it right because gross is not capable and they didn't know enough to take the decision out of his hands

not absolving cantor, just saying it doesn't matter

Sure it matters.

A year to work the candidate pool, gets your arms around what the real problems in the program are, that's why it would have mattered.

Sure it matters.

A year to work the candidate pool, gets your arms around what the real problems in the program are, that's why it would have mattered.
with a methodical reasonable AD yes

And he should. It's the truth. Nancy got coerced and ordered the not-started-yet AD the code red.
seems like everyone was in over their heads in dec of 2004...

hire kiffin. he'd go back to being a HC in a second. id live with it for a couple of years. he'd bring in the 4 stars that people clamor for
He won't come here.

This issue isn't Pasqualoni. It's timing and painting yourself in a corner.

Well, it's a least some Pasqualoni, because he was the one who was at the helm while we lost to Rutgers in 2003, and to Temple in 2004.

Win those games against the dregs of the Big East and he's still the head coach in 2005, no doubt about it.

But of course the timing was horrendous.

Because then we would have had our doors blown off by an undefeated Urban Meyer in the Fiesta Bowl.

Of course, for the money SU would have received, we could have afforded some new doors. ;)

Exactly. SU ain't firing the coach that just won his conference and landed a multi-million dollar BCS bowl payout. Everyone would have expected us to get crushed by Utah, and we would have.

Getting run by 6-5 Georgia Tech two days before Christmas was different story.

The real disastor for Syracuse was hiring Cantor, she did the most to hurt Syracuse athletically and academically.
Double like on this one

Gross's story doesn't ring true to me. He''s supposed to be a football guy but he sure didn't act like one. It would seem to me that he would check Pellini out before dismissing him because of a bowl game. the whole thing just doesn't ring true.
The whole story on Pelini and his character is found here. There's the (wisely) unstated reason on why he was not given more consideration. Not just that he got spanked in a bowl game.

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/inde...y-laced_rant_would_you_still_want_him_at.html.

Here’s a glimpse at the coaching pool if Jake let P go a year earlier:
TEAM
2003 COACH
2004 COACH
Akron

Lee Owens
J. D. Brookhart
Arizona
John Mackovic Mike Hankwitz (interim)
Mike Stoops
Army
Todd Berry John Mumford (interim)
Bobby Ross
Central Florida
Mike Kruzcek Alan Gooch (interim)
George O'Leary
Central Michigan
Mike DeBord
Brian Kelly
Cincinnati
Rick Minter
Mark Dantonio
Duke
Carl Franks Ted Roof (Interim)
Ted Roof
Eastern Michigan
Jeff Woodruff Al Lavan (interim)
Jeff Genyk
Idaho
Tom Cable
Nick Holt
Mississippi State
Jackie Sherrill
Sylvester Croom
Nebraska
Frank Solich Bo Pellini (interim)
Bill Callahan
Nevada
Dick Tormey
Chris Ault
UTEP
Gary Nord
Mike Price

And here’s the hires that were available if TGD didn’t make the move until the following season:
TEAM
2005 COACH
2006 COACH
Boise State

Dan Hawkins
Chris Petersen
Buffalo
Jim Hofher
Turner Gill
Colorado
Gary Barnett
Dan Hawkins
Idaho
Tom Cable
Dennis Erickson
Kansas State
Bill Snyder
Ron Prince
Middle Tennessee
Andy McCollum
Rick Stockstill
Northwestern
Randy Walker
Pat Fitzgerald
Rice
Ken Hatfield
Todd Graham
San Diego State
Tom Craft
Chuck Long
Temple
Bobby Wallace
Al Golden
Wisconsin
Barry Alvarez
Bret Bielema

Although these guys definitely were available and willing to coach college football, I didn’t dig into NFL coaching changes, which was TGD’s paradigm at the time though.

I think Gross pretty much admits he hired the wrong guy in hindsight and he knew both of them... it wasn't blind.

BlazeOrange said:
Here’s a glimpse at the coaching pool if Jake let P go a year earlier: TEAM 2003 COACH 2004 COACH Akron Lee Owens J. D. Brookhart Arizona John Mackovic Mike Hankwitz (interim) Mike Stoops Army Todd Berry John Mumford (interim) Bobby Ross Central Florida Mike Kruzcek Alan Gooch (interim) George O'Leary Central Michigan Mike DeBord Brian Kelly Cincinnati Rick Minter Mark Dantonio Duke Carl Franks Ted Roof (Interim) Ted Roof Eastern Michigan Jeff Woodruff Al Lavan (interim) Jeff Genyk Idaho Tom Cable Nick Holt Mississippi State Jackie Sherrill Sylvester Croom Nebraska Frank Solich Bo Pellini (interim) Bill Callahan Nevada Dick Tormey Chris Ault UTEP Gary Nord Mike Price And here’s the hires that were available if TGD didn’t make the move until the following season: TEAM 2005 COACH 2006 COACH Boise State Dan Hawkins Chris Petersen Buffalo Jim Hofher Turner Gill Colorado Gary Barnett Dan Hawkins Idaho Tom Cable Dennis Erickson Kansas State Bill Snyder Ron Prince Middle Tennessee Andy McCollum Rick Stockstill Northwestern Randy Walker Pat Fitzgerald Rice Ken Hatfield Todd Graham San Diego State Tom Craft Chuck Long Temple Bobby Wallace Al Golden Wisconsin Barry Alvarez Bret Bielema Although these guys definitely were available and willing to coach college football, I didn’t dig into NFL coaching changes, which was TGD’s paradigm at the time though.

Should have been oleary right out of the gate. Resume be damned.

How nice would it have been to replace P with Dantonio or Kelly?

Full_Rebar said:
How nice would it have been to replace P with Dantonio or Kelly?

Neither would have stayed more than maybe 4 years. O'Leary, with some success, would have been a lifer like JB and Desko.

I think Gross pretty much admits he hired the wrong guy in hindsight and he knew both of them... it wasn't blind.

this thing reads like a giant mea culpa by a guy who is leaving shortly. I applaud him for being honest about how ridiculous that firing and hiring was in 2004.

I'm just glad i feel like the P Truthers and the Fire P types are kinda finding common ground in some ways after all these years. I feel like we're almost at a point of peace on this point. P should have worked in 2005 with the idea of a double secret probation working to find the next coach if the season turned out to be another 4-8 stink bomb.

For some strange reason I find this thread super cathartc. SU football, where the off season makes me feel better than October!

Neither would have stayed more than maybe 4 years. O'Leary, with some success, would have been a lifer like JB and Desko.

I'd take Cincy's path of Dantonio, Kelly, Jones ...just need to switch someone else for Tuberville.

That's what I said, in December of 2004.
its been my position from day 1 as well.

its also why the disfunction that is SUAD and in particular the football team...needs a blowtorch taken to it...RIGHT NOW.

we need a new AD, sitting on 2015 SS with double not-so-secret probation in place...ready to make a quick change/hire in Dec and get us going again.

not another clusterfluk where the BOT cant decide if the chicken or the egg should go 1st, nothing gets done and we are screwed in 2016 as well...

god help us what this place would be...

it would be like the hoop board if JB ever lost his touch and his mind and we were heading for a sub-500 season.

wait.....

I think we will have a decision on the status of the AD by June 2015. In my opinion, someone new will be in place by August and that the decision to move on from Gross has already been made.

I think his decision to chat today and revisit his 10 years is an attempt to market himself for his next job, which I would imagine would be someplace like an IMG.

Full_Rebar said:
I think we will have a decision on the status of the AD by June 2015. In my opinion, someone new will be in place by August and that the decision to move on from Gross has already been made. I think his decision to chat today and revisit his 10 years is an attempt to market himself for his next job, which I would imagine would be someplace like an IMG.

June 30 has been the rumored date last year (didn't happen) and this year.

Personally, I'm fine with him staying. He does a lot of good things and with the new Chancellor, there will be more needed oversight.

There's more than just that quote on the Pelini thing...the man is a raving lunatic. His brother lost his job as head coach at FAU due to cocaine and marijuana use. Bo ain't that far off...