Gotta Say...... | Syracusefan.com

Gotta Say......

newmexicuse

All Conference
I am on record as often being critical of Jimmy, and I am also on record as being in the camp of those who are ready for a change.

That being said, despite the talent and roster limitations, despite the ups and downs and bumps in the road, somehow Jimmy has figured how to get this team to at least win the games they are supposed to win. Somehow he has gotten us in great position to continue the Streak.

I just have to say kudos for the recent turn-around in our fortunes, and let's just hope it can continue enough to keep that Streak going and maybe even get us into the post season even if it is only the Not Important Tournament !!!

I am on record as often being critical of Jimmy, and I am also on record as being in the camp of those who are ready for a change.

That being said, despite the talent and roster limitations, despite the ups and downs and bumps in the road, somehow Jimmy has figured how to get this team to at least win the games they are supposed to win. Somehow he has gotten us in great position to continue the Streak.

I just have to say kudos for the recent turn-around in our fortunes, and let's just hope it can continue enough to keep that Streak going and maybe even get us into the post season even if it is only the Not Important Tournament !!!

So, you've forgotten about all the games we were supposed to win, that we lost?

IF we truly won all the games we were supposed to win, we wouldn't be worried about maintaining The Streak, and would at a minimum be on the bubble already, if not solidly in the field already.

Considering Jesse is out, I think what they did the past month or so is pretty damn good.

I'm hoping everyone also realizes there is a legit possibility we go 0'fer the rest of the year based on the quality of our opponents. A .500 record would be pretty great all things considered

For 7 years JB has tied one arm behind his back with poor recruiting. I think he coaches the players he gets very effectively, but it still leaves him shorthanded.

That's why he gets routinely beat by less effective coaches who recruit harder and better.

IF we truly won all the games we were supposed to win, we wouldn't be worried about maintaining The Streak, and would at a minimum be on the bubble already, if not solidly in the field already.
No, I have not forgotten, but this was a team that was a complete dumpster fire for most of this season, yet somehow we are 15-12, 9-7. I never would have believed that is what our record would be at this point from 10 games ago. I am right up there with all of the Jimmy critics, but it is only fair to give him some credit when something unexpectedly good happens.

No, I have not forgotten, but this was a team that was a complete dumpster fire for most of this season, yet somehow we are 15-12, 9-7. I never would have believed that is what our record would be at this point from 10 games ago. I am right up there with all of the Jimmy critics, but it is only fair to give him some credit when something unexpectedly good happens.

Well, a large part of it is - this was the easy part of the conference schedule.

And yet, we still lost a few games early on, that we absolutely should NOT have lost.

Also - Jesse was HUGE for us, up until the BC game (which then ended his season).

Context matters.

Here's our last 11 games, so that encompasses "10 games ago":

FSU - blown opportunity. UGH.

Clemson - unexpected blowout win! NICE.
@ Dook - totally expected beatdown.
@ Pitt. UGH.
Wake - just shows how the earlier L in OT was an incredible wasted opportunity.
@ NCSt - solid road W.
Llvll - stack those W's.
@ BC - as bad of a road W as you can have. Lost Jesse for the season.
@ VT - very nice road W.
BC - take the W
GaTech - tried to give away the W.

The problem is - Boeheim the Brilliant couldn't grab ANY of the W's from our first 3 ACC games:
What a difference even ONE of those W's woulda made for this season, and imagine if we got 2 or gasp! 3??!!

Well, a large part of it is - this was the easy part of the conference schedule.

And yet, we still lost a few games early on, that we absolutely should NOT have lost.

Also - Jesse was HUGE for us, up until the BC game (which then ended his season).

Context matters.

@ Pitt. UGH.
@ NCSt - solid road W.
Llvll - stack those W's.
@ VT - very nice road W.
BC - take the W

The problem is - Boeheim the Brilliant couldn't grab ANY of the W's from our first 3 ACC games:
What a difference even ONE of those W's woulda made for this season, and imagine if we got 2 or gasp! 3??!!
I think we did not beat VT

Context matters.

@ Pitt. UGH.
@ NCSt - solid road W.
Llvll - stack those W's.
@ VT - very nice road W.
BC - take the W

What a difference in the composition of the team since then. Our centers were nowhere near what they are today and that's not even talking about when Jesse was coming into his own. And the difference with the play of Cole is night and day.

Was just going to post the same thing.

I understand the sentiment. JB has coaxed improved production out of a flawed roster / lineup. But it is too little / too late -- losses to Colgate, Georgetown, and Pitt were killer.

I understand the sentiment. JB has coaxed improved production out of a flawed roster / lineup. But it is too little / too late -- losses to Colgate, Georgetown, and Pitt were killer.
FSU
Miami
WF
Virginia

Boeheim has flaws like every alltime great.
He is good at his job.
The complaints are noted but the guy doesn’t bottom out.

He has gone from going 11-5/10-6 seasons consistently with 12-4 and 8-8 seasons mixed in but consistently being competitve to consistent 8-8 seasons 8 years in a row and winning a playoff game some seasons but not being a title contender.

He is a great coach but he doesn’t do what he used to do.

we blew a couple leads with bad D and we lost some games like the Pitt game where we couldnt throw it in the ocean.. I dont think the level of play has been way different for the most part.. the Duke game we had tons of open looks and missed them over and over and finally Duke dug us a big hole..

How many teams win when the Center that was playing that well goes out, has no bench depth to speak of, and its 2 best shooters go like 8 for 30..

recruiting yeah its been hard, but coaching is still elite..

It is not often I defend Jimmy, and I could still criticize quite a bit, especially relating to Symir usage in this recent run. However, to tell it like it is, Jimmy has not given up on this season. He has gotten his team to have not given up on this season. Too bad that you have given up.

Nobody can say how things will play out from here, but at this point in time some things should be applauded and some credit should be given.

We should never play Georgetown in particular early in the season. By the second week in January each year they’ve realized how irredeemably bad they truly are and would not come within 15 points of us.

It is not often I defend Jimmy, and I could still criticize quite a bit, especially relating to Symir usage in this recent run. However, to tell it like it is, Jimmy has not given up on this season. He has gotten his team to have not given up on this season. Too bad that you have given up.

Nobody can say how things will play out from here, but at this point in time some things should be applauded and some credit should be given.
I just think it is easy for opposing coaches to negatively recruit against him. Sure, we know you like Cuse and love Red, Gerry, Coach B or whomever but do you really think that he will be coaching by your second or third year. Will the assistants be there? For me while I care about this, I think coach deserves and should be at the helm until he decides he should not be at the helm. Of course, I am old- fashioned and loyalty is more important to me than it is to a lot of people. He became head coach when I was an undergrad at SU. For any fault she has his plusses so outweigh them it is ridiculous. He is not an embarrassment he is a legend. He could coach me and a couple of other old geezers and still win a couple of games, that is how I feel about this man.

Dumb post.

Optimism is good, but I'm realistic about where we stand and both the quality wins AND the bad losses we've amassed. Our resume is atrocious right now. Too bad you can't acknowledge said fact.

The only way this team qualifies for the NCAA tournament is if they win the ACCT. And that "accomplishment" is actually a rather low minimum threshold for a season expectation.

I don't take solace in moral victories, or get excited about whether we can hang on by our fingernails to a season outcome of 1 game over .500 -- in the worst ACC top to bottom that we've seen since joining.

That seems like the opposite of "giving up" to me -- what I don't understand is why a segment of our fanbase has adjusted their expectations to the point where such poor achievement is viewed favorably. This is a group of nice kids, and they are easy to root for, but this recent success doesn't come close to offsetting the disastrously bad start to the season.

Boeheim has flaws like every alltime great.
He is good at his job.
The complaints are noted but the guy doesn’t bottom out.

He has gone from going 11-5/10-6 seasons consistently with 12-4 and 8-8 seasons mixed in but consistently being competitve to consistent 8-8 seasons 8 years in a row and winning a playoff game some seasons but not being a title contender.

He is a great coach but he doesn’t do what he used to do.
He's good at a portion of his job now. But the recruiting portion - the one that you win with - is very, very average to below average, given the resources, job, and conference.

Our athletes are that of a mid-major school. He has done a decent job this year, and has done the same the last few, but let's not shift the conversation - recruiting is more than half the battle, and our rosters have not been good enough to compete.

Jimmy's and Joe's, not X's and O's. And not the current Jimmy or Joe. They're OK, but not 30+ mpg guys if you're in the ACC.

Dumb post.

Optimism is good, but I'm realistic about where we stand and both the quality wins AND the bad losses we've amassed. Our resume is atrocious right now. Too bad you can't acknowledge said fact.

The only way this team qualifies for the NCAA tournament is if they win the ACCT. And that "accomplishment" is actually a rather low minimum threshold for a season expectation.

I don't take solace in moral victories, or get excited about whether we can hang on by our fingernails to a season outcome of 1 game over .500 -- in the worst ACC top to bottom that we've seen since joining.

That seems like the opposite of "giving up" to me -- what I don't understand is why a segment of our fanbase has adjusted their expectations to the point where such poor achievement is viewed favorably. This is a group of nice kids, and they are easy to root for, but this recent success doesn't come close to offsetting the disastrously bad start to the season.
You are right it was a disastrously bad start of the season. I don't think that anyone is saying that is now viewed favorably. But can't you appreciate where the team has come from that point?

I wish I had archived all the negative predictions for this team. There was at least one that said we wouldn't win 10 games overall, not just ACC.

It's ironic you can say they are nice kids and easy to root for and then infer there is no redeeming value to the season with no idea how it will turn out to be.

It's pretty obvious these kids have not thrown in the towel. Too bad you have.

You are right it was a disastrously bad start of the season. I don't think that anyone is saying that is now viewed favorably. But can't you appreciate where the team has come from that point?

I wish I had archived all the negative predictions for this team. There was at least one that said we wouldn't win 10 games overall, not just ACC.

It's ironic you can say they are nice kids and easy to root for and then infer there is no redeeming value to the season with no idea how it will turn out to be.

It's pretty obvious these kids have not thrown in the towel. Too bad you have.

"Have" what?

Good grief -- I didn't disparage the kids in this thread or any other, I'm unimpressed about having to root for the teeter totter tipping slightly above .500. Because my expectations for every season in general, and our program in particular, are much higher.

At this point, the "highlight" of the season for me is to see whether JB can get three more wins, to get back to 1,000. Not crossing our fingers hoping to qualify for the NIT.

The rest of your post is a bunch of false attribution. Generally speaking, there is not a more optimistic poster than me on this forum. I have decades of track record of that being the case.

As such, I'm not going to get shouted down by rationalized BS about the state of the program. My god -- we barely won -- at home -- last night to the last place team in the conference. I'm happy we won, but the state of the state is NOT fine. Pointing that out doesn't make me disloyal, or a bad fan. It makes me honest.
this-is-fine.0.jpg

Dumb post.

It is too bad that you consider it “dumb” for a fan to try and make the most of our situation and to simply root for my team game by game.

And if you go back to my OP, I mentioned the NIT and not the NCAA.

I was not talking about taking solace in moral victories, but in real actual wins that are better late than never.

just because we can’t go 25 and 5, it does not mean that one stops rooting for ones team.

It is too bad that you consider it “dumb” for a fan to try and make the most of our situation and to simply root for my team game by game.

And if you go back to my OP, I mentioned the NIT and not the NCAA.

I was not talking about taking solace in moral victories, but in real actual wins that are better late than never.

just because we can’t go 25 and 5, it does not mean that one stops rooting for ones team.

You're entitled to root for whatever you'd like. More power to you. The same way that I am entitled to have a opinion about this season independent of you feeling differently.

What's dumb is these phony attributions you're making about me not rooting for the team just because I'm not doing back handsprings down Marshall Street about going .500. I root for a Syracuse victory every single game. I was just in CNY this past weekend, and brought two of my children to the game on Saturday (and both lacrosse games on Sunday), hoping they'll catch orange fever.

I get that some people have a difficult time hearing that their baby is ugly, but I'm not less of a fan for being able to acknowledge such.

Last edited:
You're entitled to root for whatever you'd like. More power to you. The same way that I am entitled to have a opinion about this season independent of you feeling differently.

What's dumb is these phony attributions you're making about me not rooting for the team just because I'm not doing back handsprings down Marshall Street about going .500. I root for a Syracuse victory every single game. I was just in CNY this past weekend, and brought two of my children to the game on Saturday (and both lacrosse games on Sunday), hoping they'll catch orange fever.

I get that some people have a difficult time hearing that their baby is ugly, but I'm not less of a fan for being able to acknowledge such.
i never said you did not root for the team, I said you gave up on the team, and you have not said anything in your various responses to indicate otherwise.

if I am wrong about that, just say so, but how else am I to interpret “too little, too late”....your words ????

i never said you did not root for the team, I said you gave up on the team, and you have not said anything in your various responses to indicate otherwise.

if I am wrong about that, just say so, but how else am I to interpret “too little, too late”...your words ????

Because it is too little too late, to offset the poor start and qualify for a postseason birth in the NCAA tournament.

That's how you should interpret it. Not parsing for evidence that you're somehow a better fan than me because you remain optimistic in the face of generally poor performance relative to the program standard.

And I didn't give up, I just understand what our resume is and how it tracks against the threshold criteria for qualifying for the NCAA tournament. Do you realize that we don't have any quad 1 wins? And several quad three losses?

I'm not going to apologize for not feeling giddy about a losing season still being a realistic prospective outcome, my expectations for the program are higher, But to each their own.

Because it is too little too late, to offset the poor start and qualify for a postseason birth in the NCAA tournament.

That's how you should interpret it. Not parsing for evidence that you're somehow a better fan than me because you remain optimistic in the face of generally poor performance relative to the program standard.

And I didn't give up, I just understand what our resume is and how it tracks against the threshold criteria for qualifying for the NCAA tournament. Do you realize that we don't have any quad 1 wins? And several quad three losses?

I'm not going to apologize for not feeling giddy about a losing season still being a realistic prospective outcome, my expectations for the program are higher, But to each their own.
People like RF are what we need more of.
Big time fan who have a standards.

Too many in the fanbase and not including the person you are responding are complacent with what has happened to the standards for this program.

This non-losing season streak has become acceptable. I don’t care if we have a losing season if we have more really good seasons.

This program needs a 24-7 season badly.
JB has coasted.

Dumb post.

its a psyhcological pheneomenon

Set Realistic Expectations and Youll be Happier​

Realistic expectationshave the power to make you happier.​

I agree with you though...I don't "adjust down" my expectations as a fan. I also follow the us mens national soccer team...and since they failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup a lot of fans seem to be happy with just qualifying now...despite the fact that the team has qualified for every world cup since hosting in 1994...like somehow simply missing one world cup makes qualifying a huge accomplishment now.

SU has been in a slow and steady decline for 8 years now basically...but im not adjusting down what I think is a "good season"...people just wanna be happy so they take what they can get and what seems reasonably likely to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom