Grant and Ennis | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Grant and Ennis

My own opinion.

Neither is ready.

Ennis goes. Grant comes back for 1 more year.

Right now, Ennis is projecting as a fringe lottery pick, 12-16 type pick. I don't see him going much higher than that even if he comes back. Yes. He would be better if he came back. Yes, he'd be a more complete player if he came back. Yes, he'd be a player more capable of getting more than one contract if he came back. But these guys don't think like that. They think in terms of that first deal, and I think Ennis' agent is telling him "A guaranteed contract as a #15 draft pick now is better than a potential contract as a #10 later".

On the other hand, Grant, in my opinion, I think is projected in the late first round...MAYBE as high as 20. But he, on the other hand, with one year under his belt of being THE guy, has the body and the game to be a legit top 5 pick. I think he has the chance to be special and be a long term fairly high level NBA player. But I think he needs that one more year here to get to that level, get to that prominence. He should come back, and I suspect, will.

Both are gone.

Funny people saying how Ennis game doesn't transfer over to the NBA...Wasn't MCW supposed to be in the D-League by now?

Sorry, but Ennis is not MCW athletically. Not even close. NBA is about elite athleticism. Name me five guys without elite athleticism and a less-than-reliable outside shot that is 6-2 and under and doing well in the NBA right now?

MCW is also a much better playmaker, despite the turnovers he had that were shocking at times. Not to mention MCW led his team to the Final Four.

The two of them are not even close in terms of NBA potential. MCW has the potential to be an NBA All-Pro player. Ennis is a very, very good college player, but does not have that high a ceiling.

I think the biggest part that gets overlooked about the college experience is the opportunity to become a winner; to learn how to win games and make plays at important times during a game. You don't get that as the development project at the end of an NBA bench, or on a D League team with 500 people in the stands on a rainy cold Tuesday night.

Part of what's valuable about the NCAA is the dog-eat-dog nature of the tournament. What do players do against the very best players, when everything is on the line? Just like college coaches put more emphasis on the AAU circuit, where they can see all the best players against the best players, although it's in a less structured setting. But you throw the best in a ring and let them fight it out. Every NCAA tournament produces a few "stories" who shoot up the rankings. Happens every year.

That's why players should consider coming back. To become better basketball players; not for specialized work-outs, but for learning how to win under a microscope of media attention. That's a survival skill for NBA players.
I think this is one of the better arguments for players coming back. The competition actually matters.

This system is very flawed and sets the kids up for failure. Players come out chasing money when they are not ready and are drafted based on potential. When that player does not reach that potential in his first 2-3 years he is out of the league and playing overseas. The system encourages players to come out when they are not ready. This is why I believe NBA needs to implement the NFL rule of 3 years out of high school, so players can develop and improve their game. People bring up examples of Lebron and Kobe and as Barkely said the other night, those players are anomalies and once in a generation players. I mean it took Kobe 4 years to crack 20 points a game, its not like he made an immediate impact. It took Garnett 4 years to play at a double double level. Even these once in a generation players took 3-4 years to transition into the NBA. I dont understand why the NBA is seen so differently from the NFL. Both league consist of grown men, and teenagers are not ready for that punishment night after night.

Sorry, but Ennis is not MCW athletically. Not even close. NBA is about elite athleticism. Name me five guys without elite athleticism and a less-than-reliable outside shot that is 6-2 and under and doing well in the NBA right now?

MCW is also a much better playmaker, despite the turnovers he had that were shocking at times. Not to mention MCW led his team to the Final Four.

The two of them are not even close in terms of NBA potential. MCW has the potential to be an NBA All-Pro player. Ennis is a very, very good college player, but does not have that high a ceiling.

Another reason why he has to leave... unfortunately...

Awful statement. Fair was named a First Team All ACC player and a 2nd team All-American by at least two publications (out of three that have so far revealed their lists).

USBWA named CJ a second team All-American. Here is the ENTIRE list of Syracuse players who have achieved that honor:

CJ Fair, 2nd team 2014
Hakim Warrick, 2nd team 2005
Carmelo Anthony, 2nd team 2003
John Wallace, 2nd team 1996
Rony Seikaly, 2nd team 1988
Pearl Washington, 2nd team 1985
Roosevelt Bouie, 2nd team 1980

To be complete I should note that Bing, Coleman, Owens, and Wes Johnson made 1st team

In light of the above, your statement is just sickening.

How did he only make second team?

I was one of the few last year saying MCW would be better in the NBA then college so I am not surprised at his individual success.

While Ennis isn't an elite athlete he is no slouch. People make him out to be some slow footed stiff. And what he doesn't have in elite explosiveness he makes it up with smarts. He is easily one of the best at protecting the basketball, which NBA GM's covet as much as anything. NBA PG's aren't expected to score 20ppg. They are expected to run the offense. He got by his guys at will this year. When he was asked to score more towards the end of the year he did just that. As for his shooting he shot 35% from 3.

I have always compared Ennis to John Stockton.

Neither are ready for the NBA. If Grant goes after this game, he's crazy. He has much to work on, midrange jumper, a counter to his spin move, upper body strength. Ennis needs to work on his outside shot and his handle. Boeheim is pretty unselfish with having kids move on if they are ready but he should tell both to stay. And I'm not just saying that b/c I want them to.
What happened to the drive and drop play that worked beautifully twice? Ennis looks better on those plays than on layups. Grant could have feasted on those this year. Rarely see a lob and we have a guy that jumps out of the building.
Thing is the draft is only partly about being ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom