Class of 2016 - Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California

If Richardson was staying then why would we want Mullins?

We all know JB will only play 3 guards (Howard, Battle and Richardson)

I would guess the coaches already know Richardson is going pro so we need a guard to go with Howard and Battle

If Richardson was staying then why would we want Mullins?

We all know JB will only play 3 guards (Howard, Battle and Richardson)

I would guess the coaches already know Richardson is going pro so we need a guard to go with Howard and Battle
Not at all. JB thinks he needs a shooter. Not exactly a strong suit of Howard or Battle. If we are really trying to find a Mali replacement, we would be shooting higher. The kid from USC for example.

Go back to the UConn board.

We were pursuing Mullins before Richardson blew up in the tourney.

Mullins would likely replace Joseph's scholarship if we got him.

Maybe JB is just being proactive this time instead of expecting guys to return. Have to think Kaleb will transfer out so they need to replace him. He didn't play a minute the 2nd half of the season so they couldn't be clearer about his future at SU. How about that guard on Yale who roasted Duke -- he can play.

We got one back and only fill 10 next year, so yeah, that 11th schollie is not yet filled.
I believe we are still making a push for Thompson as well, if he accepts he would be the 11th scholarship, if my math is right. I don't think we have room right now for both Mullen's and Thompson if everyone stays. Maybe the Thompson recruitment has gone sideways, or maybe there is a player leaving? Interesting we are looking at a C/PF and/or a Guard if there is just one 'ship available. Seems like two ends of the spectrum.

I believe we are still making a push for Thompson as well, if he accepts he would be the 11th scholarship, if my math is right. I don't think we have room right now for both Mullen's and Thompson if everyone stays. Maybe the Thompson recruitment has gone sideways, or maybe there is a player leaving? Interesting we are looking at a C/PF and/or a Guard if there is just one 'ship available. Seems like two ends of the spectrum.

I think scholarship situition is the following

1) loss of 8 total over 4 years.
2) NCAA allowed Syracuse not to count Chukwa as scholly during appeal process. So Syracuse took 3 scholly penalty during 2015-2016 season.
3) So SU has 5 scholly over 3 years remaining, I think this is correct.
4) Therefore, Syracuse should have 2 scholarships remaining for 2016-17 season, 1 for Thompson and 1 for Graduate Transfer.
5) Correct me if im wrong???

I think scholarship situition is the following

1) loss of 8 total over 4 years.
2) NCAA allowed Syracuse not to count Chukwa as scholly during appeal process. So Syracuse took 3 scholly penalty during 2015-2016 season.
3) So SU has 5 scholly over 3 years remaining, I think this is correct.
4) Therefore, Syracuse should have 2 scholarships remaining for 2016-17 season, 1 for Thompson and 1 for Graduate Transfer.
5) Correct me if im wrong???

I dont think they gave us a pass on Chukwa. Because they gave the notice of reduced penalties so late in the season (from 3 per year to 2) they allowed the 3rd unused scholarship to count towards the total number reduced. So the reductions will look like this (2015-16 = 3)(2016-17 = 2)(2017-18 = 2)(2018-19 = 1)

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._3_scholarships_this_year_toward_penalty.html

Diagne's scholarship wasn't used and the NCAA let SU count that towards fulfilling the penalty. IMO, Thompson is essentially Diagne's potential replacement. Any guard will either be Kaleb's replacement should he transfer or Malachi's replacement should he go pro. Jake said that SU was interested in Mullins prior to the NCAA tourney, so I would lean towards Kaleb leaving. If both Malachi and Kaleb leave and SU strikes out on Thompson, I would hope that SU picks up three transfers because there's no reason to not use all available scholarships if the team is shorthanded as a result of penalties.

I dont think they gave us a pass on Chukwa. Because they gave the notice of reduced penalties so late in the season (from 3 per year to 2) they allowed the 3rd unused scholarship to count towards the total number reduced. So the reductions will look like this (2015-16 = 3)(2016-17 = 2)(2017-18 = 2)(2018-19 = 1)

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._3_scholarships_this_year_toward_penalty.html

Thanks for your input, so 5 scholly over 3, as you and i stated is correct. But order of how scholarship reduction numbers/year, should be teams right. Such as 1,2,2 or 2,1,2 or 2,2,1 penality.

2-3zone said:
If Richardson was staying then why would we want Mullins? We all know JB will only play 3 guards (Howard, Battle and Richardson) I would guess the coaches already know Richardson is going pro so we need a guard to go with Howard and Battle

We reached out to Mullins before Malachi had some tourney success.

I think they sensed Joseph was leaving. Probably knew.

It's not like we're loaded with backcourt depth.

Is he a player to honestly get excited about?

That's what I was thinking. He does have some experience in the back court. I think we need a true PG with good ball handling skills. It seems lately we end up with tall SG's playing PG.

If Malachi leaves, then we need anyone with a warm body. Literally will have 2 guards on the roster.

What are our chances?

. Grant Mullins, Columbia Lions

Mullins averaged 13.3 points and 3.3 assists for a Columbia team that won 25 games and took home the CIT title. Michigan, Cal, Syracuse and Hawaii have already contacted the 6-4 guard, and his list of suitors could grow.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14390188/college-basketball-transfer-list
From this article, it sounds like if Michigan wants him, they will probably get him.

We have some work to do...

Linkage

With Kaleb Joseph transfering; that is where the scholarship is coming from (bee Basketball Board for that post)

From this article, it sounds like if Michigan wants him, they will probably get him.

We have some work to do...

Linkage

Yeah - Mullins fits Michigan and their offense a lot better than he does Syracuse's, to be honest.

Hate to say it but I don't really see him coming. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah - Mullins fits Michigan and their offense a lot better than he does Syracuse's, to be honest.

Hate to say it but I don't really see him coming. Hope I'm wrong.
Well, I doubt he's willing to wait until late May anyway - which is likely when Mal will decide, which will likely indicate whether there's actual backcourt PT available