Class of 2016 - Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California

Well, I doubt he's willing to wait until late May anyway - which is likely when Mal will decide, which will likely indicate whether there's actual backcourt PT available

As has been said many times, we haven't been trying to bring in Mullins to replace Malachi.

As has been said many times, we haven't been trying to bring in Mullins to replace Malachi.
Oh I know - but I think the staff were hoping he'd be willing to come here in a role which would basically give him 0 pt in meaningful games, in the scenario where Mal/Battle/Frankie are all here - he'd essentially be sort of an insurance policy in case any of those guys got hurt or something... and it appears he's too good a player to be ok with that role

Yeah - Mullins fits Michigan and their offense a lot better than he does Syracuse's, to be honest.

Hate to say it but I don't really see him coming. Hope I'm wrong.
He definitely contacted UM. Right now though, UM doesn't have a scholarship for him. Will they run someone off to make room?

Linkage

From this article, it sounds like if Michigan wants him, they will probably get him.

We have some work to do...

Linkage
Don't know about that. The coach mentioned them. That's all.

Oh I know - but I think the staff were hoping he'd be willing to come here in a role which would basically give him 0 pt in meaningful games, in the scenario where Mal/Battle/Frankie are all here - he'd essentially be sort of an insurance policy in case any of those guys got hurt or something... and it appears he's too good a player to be ok with that role
I don't think that would be his role at all. The kid can shoot. And shooters find a way to play.

Don't know about that. The coach mentioned them. That's all.
nothing told me Michigan in there.

I say the kid from Ontario, playing in NYC, wants to play in the Dome.

I don't think that would be his role at all. The kid can shoot. And shooters find a way to play.
Sure, in theory. Which of Mal/Battle/Howard will be sitting for him?

Whoever needs to. An added bonus of the roster shuffle this year that led to players playing out of position means that the roster has some flexibility. With a rotation of 8 players and 200 game minutes, that's 25 per player on average. Battle, Lydon, and Mal get 30 each. Down to 110 mpg. Figure Chukwu and Coleman can both go 15-20 like Keita and Rak did, with Lydon filling in for 5-10 minutes as needed, you're at 80 remaining. Moyer gets 10. You're at 70. 30 for Roberson leaves you with Howard and Mullins for 20 each. Nothing for Taurean so I assume he isn't coming unless Malachi signs with an agent or Roberson leaves for whatever reason.

they all will.

and we can slide Mal to the 3 and for 1 of either Tyler or Robe as well.

theres minutes there.
JB will not play more than 8.

Coleman - Chuckwu - Lydon - Roberson - Moyer - Battle - Howard - Richardson

Tell me which of those 8 will be sitting in favor of a transfer from Columbia.

they all will.

and we can slide Mal to the 3 and for 1 of either Tyler or Robe as well.

theres minutes there.
Yeah, you don't do the whole graduate transfer thing to sit on the bench. I doubt he starts, but he could get anywhere from 10-25 min. a night if he adjusts well and shoots like it seems he's capable. The nice thing about having Big guards is that we can, if we choose play them all over to accommodate a less flexible teammate. Mal can play the 3. Battle can play the 1 and maybe the 3. They can find minutes at the 2.

We went 9-10 deep at times during the 2011-2012 season. It just shows how stacked we'll be next year. Also, although I've heard differently, I'm not sure that Moyer plays all that much.

We went 9-10 deep at times during the 2011-2012 season. It just shows how stacked we'll be next year. Also, although I've heard differently, I'm not sure that Moyer plays all that much.
9-10 deep in games that mattered? No

He played 9 in 10-12, 10 in 11-12 and, in 12-13 he played 9 until Coleman was injured (and they had 6 walkons). The last couple of seasons have been tough because they just didn't have capable players. When he has the horses, he'll put them in the game.

He played 9 in 10-12, 10 in 11-12 and, in 12-13 he played 9 until Coleman was injured (and they had 6 walkons). The last couple of seasons have been tough because they just didn't have capable players. When he has the horses, he'll put them in the game.
'10-'11 season - Fab and Southerland played very sparingly, especially in close games of importance
'11-'12 - MCW and Rak played very sparingly, especially in close games of importance
'12-'13 - Coleman and Cooney played very sparingly, especially in close games of importance

JB does not go beyond 8 once conference play starts, barring fouls, injuries, etc

Moyer is the odd man out in that scenario. I think a shooter at the guard position when you have Battle & Howard is far more important than squeezing a few minutes in for Moyer at C/F when you have Coleman/Chuckwu/Lydon/Roberson. Vital if Richardson leaves, as in A #1 full press vital!

Vital if Richardson leaves, as in A #1 full press vital!
Agree with this.
But if Mal comes back there will simply be very limited backcourt minutes available

If Richardson was staying then why would we want Mullins?

We all know JB will only play 3 guards (Howard, Battle and Richardson)

I would guess the coaches already know Richardson is going pro so we need a guard to go with Howard and Battle

You need 4 guards just to practice. And there are times when you need a guy who is able to come in and contribute for 10 minutes. That's what Allen Griffin did for us in 2000, and Tony Bland and a bunch of other guys over the years. Remember in the Final Four in 2013, we had to put in a first year Shaky Potatoes at the very end of the game? I'd like to avoid that, and have a player on the bench who is a little more experienced.

Moyer is the odd man out in that scenario. I think a shooter at the guard position when you have Battle & Howard is far more important than squeezing a few minutes in for Moyer at C/F when you have Coleman/Chuckwu/Lydon/Roberson. Vital if Richardson leaves, as in A #1 full press vital!

Moyer is a battler and has a tremendous motor. He is going to give Roberson a run for his money.

Agree with this.
But if Mal comes back there will simply be very limited backcourt minutes available

Look at the line-up you would be talking about. You would only have 2 shooters (Richardson/Lydon). We have learned that is not a good thing. Moyer has professed to have been working hard on his 3pt shot, but would you rather trust that 3rd shooter spot to a freshman or a 5yr? All you have to do is look at this years team to see the value of 5th years.

Kaiser is correct. All of them. But mostly Battle and Howard. This kid can shoot. A very valuable commodity. Having said that, it is easy to recruit against us on this one.

You need 4 guards just to practice. And there are times when you need a guy who is able to come in and contribute for 10 minutes. That's what Allen Griffin did for us in 2000, and Tony Bland and a bunch of other guys over the years. Remember in the Final Four in 2013, we had to put in a first year Shaky Potatoes at the very end of the game? I'd like to avoid that, and have a player on the bench who is a little more experienced.
Agree with this - which makes it unlikely that a kid like Mullins, who seems quite confident in his abilities and is looking for legit PT, would accept a role as practice player and insurance policy

Here's the scenario. Remember, Battle will be training on the job to learn how to play PG. He is going to have ups and downs. I see him as a bit like Dion. He can make a pass, he can get to the rim, his outside shot is streaky and need some work. He has a big ego. I could see him taking some heat from JB early in the year if his head gets too big. So when Battle gets the treatment, we need another guard who can come in for a few minutes here and there. That's who Mullins is.

Moyer is a battler and has a tremendous motor. He is going to give Roberson a run for his money.

Moyer will have his time. But he isn't playing 20-25 minutes next year. He needs time to learn where he needs to be in the zone. We all have plenty of experience watching what happens to new bigs when trying to learn & play JB's zone.