Great exposure for the program... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Great exposure for the program...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I wasn't but Shafer won twice as many games in his first year that Grob did in 4 years.
so the 2 1/2 years isn't really an issue. It's who gets the 2 1/2 years. 3-9 and whatever happens this year is very bad.

Why should Shafer get more in salary? He was a first time HC and there was no leverage to pay him more. Rhule is going to be making more money than Shafer next year.

I am not saying that he should get more salary, when the fluck did I say that?

I am not saying that he should get more salary, when the fluck did I say that?
You asked why Rhule and Shafer are making the same amount of money. The answer is because Shafer didn't deserve more when he was hired as a first time HC. I mean the questions you ask have obvious answers. Syracuse hired Shafer on the cheap and we are getting the results exactly what we are paying for.

What I am saying and have said in this thread very clearly I might add...

Is this: If you fire Shafer, you God Damn well better commit to hiring a CLEARLY better candidate for HC than he is. Not an OC/DC or any such understudy. Should be someone with HC experience at the D1 level, proven track record of winning and turning programs around, etc.

Anything else, you might as well take a match to the whole thing.

You asked why Rhule and Shafer are making the same amount of money. The answer is because Shafer didn't deserve more when he was hired as a first time HC. I mean the questions you ask have obvious answers. Syracuse hired Shafer on the cheap and we are getting the results exactly what we are paying for.

Why did Rhule deserve the same as Shafer at Temple?

We will cotinue to hire on the cheap is my fear, sad but rue.

Why did Rhule deserve the same as Shafer at Temple?

We will cotinue to hire on the cheap is my fear, sad but rue.
Rhule actually interviewed for his open job and had leverage. Temple wanted to hire him he was in the NFL and got good money. Shafer had no leverage. Gross was giving him a promotion and he was able to leverage that to keep his salary lower to force him to prove it.
Shafer wasn't the hire from a long process and thru a committee with several candidate being interviewed. He was the eternal hire therefore we got him cheaper. C'mon man.

I've been pretty consistent on this. I think he should get another year but I can feel it slipping away. He does a lot of things I like and is a solid defensive coach. But it is getting harder to defend him.

I've been on record since the spring: I feel good no matter what. If Shafer gets it going, great. If not Coyle seems competent, the IPF, p5 job, ACC $ - give us a chance at hiring a good young offensively minded coach.

Frost would be awesome.
Please tell me what he does you like? With Shafer I think we need to track the things we don't rather than the things we do. Shorter list.

Is this: If you fire Shafer, you God Damn well better commit to hiring a CLEARLY better candidate for HC than he is. Not an OC/DC or any such understudy. Should be someone with HC experience at the D1 level, proven track record of winning and turning programs around, etc.

There is literally nothing wrong with trying to get a great P5 coordinator. The Chad Morris' of the world are still great candidates.

PJ fleck is your guy is sounds like then.

There is literally nothing wrong with trying to get a great P5 coordinator. The Chad Morris' of the world are still great candidates.

Shafer is a P5 Coordinator.

PJ fleck is your guy is sounds like then.

Yes, our fanbase will be ecstatic with a 14-19 HC at Western Michigan...which is where Shafer was DC...Can't wait.

I thought it went without saying a good coordinator but if you want to be obtuse, whatever man.

Not being obtuse, Nobody here wants learning to be a HC on the job for the 4th time in a row and the best of those guys was 25-25 mediocre. Why fire one P5 coordinator then go with another coordinator to be HC, sounds like much of the same to me.

Definition of insanity...

Your standards for improving over shafer are ludicrous

Your standards for improving over shafer are ludicrous

Why ludicrous? Why fire a guy unless you are clearly going to upgrade? If you aren't willing to spend enough to get a clear upgrade, then leave it alone.

If you are willing to spend enough to upgrade and get a coach with D1 HC experience, then by all means cut bait sooner rather than later.

What about my standards is ludicrous? D1 HC experience as a winner, is that too much to ask when you are going to spend a few million?

EDIT: I personally don't care if that experience is from the GO5 or P5 either, I think it is irrelevant. What I don't want is another coordinator learning on the job like we have had the last 3 coaches. Hasn't seemed to go well for any of the 3 and the best one was a .500 coach.

to b honest if Coyle wants an adult w experience running the program (I believe he does nothing this year) u are looking at candidates w hair or real moon shots:

Jim Tressel, Lane Kiffin, Mike Leach, Greg Schiano, Randy Edsall, Lloyd Carr, Bill O'Brien, Doug Marrone, Herm Edwards.

I mention these not as viable but as a snapshot of who u would b looking at for the position if rule one is someone that has coached at a high level before

jekelish said:
But there were questionable decisions last week, too. I guess I just don't get why losing to FSU is the deal breaker for some people.

Because he doesn't learn from it.

He's not a rookie coach anymore.

Where do you think this is going? Do you think we are building a talent base that will have us beating today's peer teams by 3 TDs and close game coaching decisions won't matter?

Because he doesn't learn from it.

He's not a rookie coach anymore.

Where do you think this is going? Do you think we are building a talent base that will have us beating today's peer teams by 3 TDs and close game coaching decisions won't matter?
Seriously you nailed it. I would bet you 6-6 next year would be good enough for the pro-SS side. They want to pretend like this is 2013 and not 2015. I find nowhere on gameday has SS improved. Marrone who I don't want back had the team prepared each week a lot better. The main difference on gsmeday between the two is SS will call fake punts and FGs.

Marrone never called the fakes SS has but that isn't enough. Keeping SS as HC completely deflates a good portion of the fanbase. I will interested to see the crowd for Clemson and BC.

One other thing how the heck would expect this coaching staff to be able to recruit for 2017 with the OBVIOUS cloud hanging over them. The person you responded says we are in a good position for 2017 right now well if we are 3-9, 4-8 the last 2 years what kid is going to feel strong giving a verbal to that program? Keeping this staff completely stunts our 2017 recruiting. As 6-6 in 2016 would not be enough to justify maintaining the staff. It is just stuff like this that drives me nuts.

Last edited:
100% on the offensive coach. One who will finally recognize the unique advantage the Dome gives the program. I think Coyle gets it. We need a high scoring offense. This is about as close to a no brainer as it gets. I would take Frost in a heartbeat. Even though his lack of HC experience is a big concern, this is exactly the type of young, charismatic, seemingly gifted offense mind I would love to see us roll the dice with.
One big problem we have is the number of big schools in need of a coach -- Maryland, prob Rutgirls, Miami -- schools that can and will pay more. We aren't going to win a bidding war for someone like Frost. That's why I like the Boise guy Harsin -- Coyle hired in once and he's making $1M. Double it and he'd move. Ever watch them play -- entertaining as hell.

Why ludicrous? Why fire a guy unless you are clearly going to upgrade? If you aren't willing to spend enough to get a clear upgrade, then leave it alone.

If you are willing to spend enough to upgrade and get a coach with D1 HC experience, then by all means cut bait sooner rather than later.

What about my standards is ludicrous? D1 HC experience as a winner, is that too much to ask when you are going to spend a few million?

EDIT: I personally don't care if that experience is from the GO5 or P5 either, I think it is irrelevant. What I don't want is another coordinator learning on the job like we have had the last 3 coaches. Hasn't seemed to go well for any of the 3 and the best one was a .500 coach.

You aren't making any sense.

Greg Robinson won 6 games in years 2 and 3. We're reliving the past. We would have paid over $2m in 2008. There's no reason we won't pay market rate for a good coach now.

And if you have your way, this program will fall off a cliff next year. Do you honestly think the fan base will be excited to have Shafer back next year after to back to back 3-9 seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom